2017 Reading Year in Review:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Reading Year in Review:

So in mid-March of 2017 I decided to track all the books I read.

Between then and now I have read 40 books.
    - 11 were re-reads.
    - 10 were new authors.
    - 6 were Non-Fiction.
    - The best book I read this year was A Long December from Richard Chizmar. A large collection without a bad story in the lot.
    - The worst book I read this year was The Process (Is A Process All Its Own) from Peter Straub. Straub has always been hit and miss for me. My opinion on this one is probably tainted as it was a return to a character I really enjoyed in the past and this story did not work for me.
    - My favorite read from a new (to me) author was Mystery Road from Kevin Lucia. I will be seeking out more of his work.

So that is my reading year on review. How was your reading year?
    Last edited by Martin; 01-01-2018, 03:51 AM.

I don't keep lists so have no idea how many books I read or which ones they all were...some I remember well and really enjoyed, others were much less memorable. Nothing really leaps to mind, so perhaps it was a year without real, remarkable standouts for me...or maybe my memory just sucks tonight.

Martin, you have a lot of rereads. Almost a third of all reads. I very rarely reread... is that something you typically do each year? May I ask why?
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      I don't keep lists so have no idea how many books I read or which ones they all were...some I remember well and really enjoyed, others were much less memorable. Nothing really leaps to mind, so perhaps it was a year without real, remarkable standouts for me...or maybe my memory just sucks tonight.

Martin, you have a lot of rereads. Almost a third of all reads. I very rarely reread... is that something you typically do each year? May I ask why?
      I try to re-read a few books a year. This year is probably a little heavy because I have been meaning to re-read the Wizard of Oz series and finally got to it. At this point I am six books into it. Next year will probably be just as heavy as I plan to continue that series.

Comment

I very rarely re-read books. I did re-read one this year, 'Salem's Lot, but that's because I was reading out loud with my girlfriend and she had never read it before. Other than that I'll have to go over my goodreads list and rake my memory, as I didn't log about half of my reads. My focus this year was to read more classic literature, and a snuck in a few "modern" classics as well. Plus some pulp for good measure. I'd estimate roughly 30 or so books this year.

A surprise standout this year was Motorman by David Ohle. An absolutely absurd sci-fi novella from the 70's. It was leant to me by a co-worker at my old office and I normally approach books pushed on my with trepidation. This one was short so I jumped in. Very glad I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
          I very rarely re-read books. I did re-read one this year, 'Salem's Lot, but that's because I was reading out loud with my girlfriend and she had never read it before. Other than that I'll have to go over my goodreads list and rake my memory, as I didn't log about half of my reads. My focus this year was to read more classic literature, and a snuck in a few "modern" classics as well. Plus some pulp for good measure. I'd estimate roughly 30 or so books this year.

A surprise standout this year was Motorman by David Ohle. An absolutely absurd sci-fi novella from the 70's. It was leant to me by a co-worker at my old office and I normally approach books pushed on my with trepidation. This one was short so I jumped in. Very glad I did.
          I'm just the opposite. I have a number of books I re-read. It seems I find something different every time I do.

Comment

When I find a great book, I tend to reread it every few years. It used to be every 2-3 but now is probably more like every 5-10 years.

This is actually the reason I collect luxurious, limited/lettered editions of books. When something's completely badass, and I know I'm going to want to reread it at some point, I know I'll want to read the finest copy I can afford the second time around.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post

This is actually the reason I collect luxurious, limited/lettered editions of books. When something's completely badass, and I know I'm going to want to reread it at some point, I know I'll want to read the finest copy I can afford the second time around.
              Makes perfect sense in the abstract and a fine philosophy, but for me I rarely reread...I've probably only ever done so with half-a-dozen books in my life. Maybe if my TBR pile wasn't so darn massive...maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Makes perfect sense in the abstract and a fine philosophy, but for me I rarely reread...I've probably only ever done so with half-a-dozen books in my life. Maybe if my TBR pile wasn't so darn massive...maybe.
                I'm actually actually the opposite. I think it's probably because my favorite books are all fantasy books that are in big series. So when you read them (or listen to them) it kinda immerses you in the world, and generally leaves me wanting more.

In fact since I've switched almost entirely to audio books, rereading has become more frequent for me. Audio books can be expensive and sometimes I'll be out of Audible credits, so I'll just go back and listen to something again. It helps that right now I have an hour commute to the office and I often tend to listen to them most of the day while I'm working. So there's a lot of time to burn through audio books and podcasts.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I'm reading book # 379 for the year. Depending on how lazy I am today, that may end the year, or I might even read # 380 too.

The outside temp is 15F with a wind chill of 5F, so staying indoors with books is a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                    I'm reading book # 379 for the year. Depending on how lazy I am today, that may end the year, or I might even read # 380 too.

The outside temp is 15F with a wind chill of 5F, so staying indoors with books is a good option.
                    That is impressive. I will probably never approach those kind of numbers.

Comment

Nor will I. I feel pretty good if I manage a couple in a week's time, so 100 for the year would be a good year for me.

Comment

Not a good year for me for reading. Amount of books I read varies, as I am a slow reader, and usually save it for spare time. My wife finally got a job with a day shift, so she is home in the evening, and as a result I read less. Another negative for me, was I seemed to read a lot of books in 2017 that lost my interest, or had to stop before I finished. According to Goodreads, which I update faithfully, I only read 13 books in 2017!!!! 3 I didn't finish. Mind you.....there are four that I really, really liked (Ship of Fools, All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By, Head Full Of Ghosts, and The Forge of God).

For 2018 I hope to get back into more books - I have so many I want to read, and some are quite large, so I don't think I am going to set any specific goals.

Comment

All heads turn is a great one!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            All heads turn is a great one!
                            The start is pretty intense, and despite having some dry parts, overall it was really enjoyable. Saw it mentioned more than a few times on here, and elsewhere. Glad I searched it out and got my hands on it!

Comment

2017 continued my abysmal reading trend from the second half of 2016. I only read six books last year. I’ve recommitted to taking more time to read this year. I’ve been a big reader for years, but the last 18 months have been an anomaly, and one that I have liked too much.

As far as re-reads, I have but don’t make it a habit. Typically, I’ll do a re-read if I’m trying to pick back up a series that I haven’t touched in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X