Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Listener by Robert McCammon

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Still on schedule for early summer!
    I didn't know the approximate ETA. Good to know. Thanks!

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Finished THE LISTENER; I liked it very much. I don't know that I'd say it lived up the pre-pub hype, but I think it did so better than THE BORDER and I thought it was quite good...really enjoyed it. I'd label it mid-grade McCammon, better than some of his others, not quite up to par with his classics (e.g. WOLF'S HOUR, SWAN SONG, BOY'S LIFE, et al).

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    I need to read The Wolf's Hour, so many TBRs!

Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I need to read The Wolf's Hour, so many TBRs!
    WOLF’S HOUR is so good. That and SWAN SONG are his best.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    OK, I feel like I'm in a safe space here so I will go ahead and admit....I haven't read Swan Song yet either. Please don't judge!

OK, I feel like I'm in a safe space here so I will go ahead and admit....I haven't read Swan Song yet either. Please don't judge!
    I don't what to do. This is definitely an emergency situation but it's unprecedented. No one who knows who McCammon is has ever not read SWAN SONG. I mean you need to be isolated with a copy immediately.

I need to reread it myself.

You just triggered me by that outlandish statement.

Make us both feel better and go read the thing.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    You are not alone. The only McCammon I have read so far is Boy's Life and to be honest I was not that impressed. The Listener will be my second McCammon and I will decide a path forward after that.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    I like the Matthew Corbett series a lot , but I like historical fiction in general, throw in the weird and supernatural and I'm usually hooked. I enjoyed The Border, I know some didn't, but honestly, I rarely like everything a given author has written.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You are not alone. The only McCammon I have read so far is Boy's Life and to be honest I was not that impressed. The Listener will be my second McCammon and I will decide a path forward after that.
    I loved Boy's Life. I also Loved Wolf's Hour and Swan Song. Actually I really like just about everything by McCammon that I have read. The one I liked the least so far has been Gone South and that was still pretty good.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I read Wolf's Hour AFTER reading Hunter in the Woods, and I didn't enjoy it as much as the shorter stories. Maybe because the short stories took place over his entire life, instead of focused on one time period. Regardless, I still enjoyed Wolf's Hour and I haven't been much of a werewolf fan before.

I haven't either. It's on hold at the library (well, it's requested) so as soon as it becomes available I'll definitely be reading it.

I don't what to do. This is definitely an emergency situation but it's unprecedented. No one who knows who McCammon is has ever not read SWAN SONG. I mean you need to be isolated with a copy immediately.

I need to reread it myself.
    I'm a second person who needs this intervention. But at least I own a copy AND have one on hold at the library . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Y The only McCammon I have read so far is Boy's Life and to be honest I was not that impressed.
    Wow, sorry to hear that...I always felt that was one of his strongest works, right up there with SWAN SONG and WOLF'S HOUR as my top three McCammons.

Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN SONG?
    Last edited by Tommy; 04-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN'S SONG?
    I haven’t read Wolf’s Hour, so I’d have to say Swan Song. It doesn’t hurt that it’s also one of my favorite books.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN'S SONG?
    I preferred The Wolf's Hour. Swan Song just didn't hold together for me...I've read it at least twice and still not been impressed. I don't find it to be a bad book by any means, but it doesn't rate higher than a B+ for me.

Corrected my misspelling...

WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN SONG?
    WOLF'S HOUR. It's so different than anything else I've read.

Junior Member Lurker
    Great responses and conversation here guys! I've read MYSTERY WALK, MINE, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT, BOY'S LIFE, SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, QUEEN OF BEDLAM and loved them all so I'm sure I'll love whatever I come across next from him. To those that have an opinion about my possible next McCammon read, WOLF'S HOUR or SWAN SONG?
    I Travel by Night is my favorite book from McCammon! Shocking to some people, I know. I actually just received the limited edition of it today. Loved The Wolf's Hour! Currently in the middle of Swan Song and am enjoying it for the first time. I still have many more novels of his to read. Just started reading him last year.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Any word on the progress of the signed/limited edition of The Listener? I think the last information we received was that the slipcases would be ready for an August ship date. (Possibly sooner or later.) Do we know if it's going to be sooner or later?

I am anxious to see this edition. (But waiting patiently.)

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Any word on the progress of the signed/limited edition of The Listener? I think the last information we received was that the slipcases would be ready for an August ship date. (Possibly sooner or later.) Do we know if it's going to be sooner or later?

I am anxious to see this edition. (But waiting patiently.)
    Expecting an update from our slipcase maker this week and will post what I hear!

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Books to Benefit: http://www.BooksToBenefit.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    My Official Writing Website: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com