The Outsider by Stephen King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Outsider by Stephen King

Has there been any word on what King's next book project will be after Beauties?

Yes, it's called The Outsider - see description here - https://www.amazon.com/Outsider-Step...dp/1501180983/

Comment

King stated on the Sleeping Beauties book tour that the reason he was not providing more detail was because it would feature a character people would be familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        King stated on the Sleeping Beauties book tour that the reason he was not providing more detail was because it would feature a character people would be familiar with.
        Didn't he say somewhere that he was writing a book about the introverted girl who works with the detective in the Mr. Mercedes books??? I forget her name now.

Comment

Lisbeth Salander? I might be continuing my characters.

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
          Didn't he say somewhere that he was writing a book about the introverted girl who works with the detective in the Mr. Mercedes books??? I forget her name now.

Comment

Yes, there is some speculation that this will be a Holly Gibney story. I would enjoy that as I think exploring the depth of Holly would be really be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              Lisbeth Salander? I might be continuing my characters.
              LOL! I'm actually reading GwtDT now.

Comment

Read a brief description of the story and it is a murder mystery. The names mentioned are Terry Maitland (Baseball Coach) and Ralph Anderson (Detective). I am not familiar with those names so I assume the name we will know was not mentioned. Since when we last saw Holly Gibney she was running Finders Keepers, although with a new partner, I assume this book could feature her. Not a story about her past though.

Comment

LOL! I'm actually reading GwtDT now.
                  Stupid phone - should have said confusing but you still laughed. So it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I think that would be pretty cool.
                    Last edited by Brad88; 12-13-2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad88 View Post
                      I think that would be pretty cool.
                      The more I read about this, the more I think it may feature Abra Stone from Doctor Sleep. Not really sure why I lean that way but I do.

Comment

Simon and Schuster has an excerpt posted:

http://www.simonandschuster.biz/book.../9781501180989

Comment

After reading the premise at Simon/Schuster, I myself am wondering whether or not this will be a tale of the supernatural...has a Dark Half-kind-of feel to it. I suppose it might be more entertaining/unique if it was a straight mystery, but a supernatural plotline might also be compelling.

Comment

Book Trailer:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7ryxLWXq0

Comment

Review of "Outsider"

I read a review of The Outsider by Stephen King. Sorry, don't have the link handy, but you can find it by doing a Google news search (as of when I did the search, there was only one review).

What I read seemed on the mark: per the review, apparently the author was disappointed that it wasn't a mystery with no supernatural overtones. The review stated that having the story turn into a battle with a monster, while not something we wouldn't naturally assume from King, weakened the book. In other words, have it be some weird locked-door type of detective tale that would keep readers guessing.

I sort of get that. It probably would have been better as just a mystery story. Here's a specific point: apparently there is a prosecutor who wants to progress in the system by becoming a star from putting the innocent protagonist on trial. The prosecutor goes so far, according to the review, as to basically dismissing the great alibi -- three colleagues with the guy on some trip, with a video to prove what is being stated as an alibi. It made me think that maybe a conspiracy story would have been better. Imagine getting to that part about the alibi and the video has suddenly gone missing and the three colleagues say, no, we were never with him. That would have made the story exciting. It could have turned out that the prosecutor was just trying to manufacture a case against someone to climb the system's ladder. Maybe the man goes to prison, and when he gets out, it becomes a revenge tale (the protagonist could say "I did time with no crime attached; since I did the time, I am owed a crime"). Of course, maybe such a plotline has already been done.

I still want to read this, but the review specifically pointed out that the first couple hundred pages is mostly procedural; then, the supernatural kicks in. That deters me. Nevertheless, I think I will win out in the end and read it (I hope; no guarantees).

Comment

Working...
                              X