Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Mr. Mercedes Season Two:

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24

    Mr. Mercedes Season Two:

    Mr. Mercedes has been renewed for a second season.

    http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/10/mr-merce...ewed-season-2/

  2. #2
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    24
    Good news. Though I thought that the trilogy deteriorated with each successive book!
    For me, the 1st season has improved upon the original novel. Hopefully they'll do the same with future seasons.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    3
    That's good news. We (wife and I) have really enjoyed the first 9 eps of season 1.
    I too thought the book series deteriorated. FK was ok, but EOW was just silly. I'm prepared to suspend my disbelief as much as anyone, but EOW was hard to swallow.
    It will be good to see Brady again though. Harry Treadaway's characterisation is very, very good, and of course, Brendan Gleeson is wonderful.
    Dennis Lehane on the writing team is a plus, on the whole, I think it's a quality production. And as I understand it, it's made by a phone company.

    The biggest problem with the series for me is the travesty of plastic surgery on Mary Louise Parker. Her face looks ridiculous! Like nothing found in nature. I always enjoyed her performances but it's hard to get past that philtrum.

  4. #4
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    That's good news. We (wife and I) have really enjoyed the first 9 eps of season 1.
    I too thought the book series deteriorated. FK was ok, but EOW was just silly. I'm prepared to suspend my disbelief as much as anyone, but EOW was hard to swallow.
    I had exactly the same problem with End of Watch. The suicide inducing gaming device was silly. The book seemed like a retread of King's earlier works. A bit of Carrie's telekinesis, technology run amok from Cell and various others.
    It'll be interesting to see if they make any major changes to this one for the 3rd season.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24
    Interesting views on the series. I see where you are coming from but do not share your complete views. I loved Mr. Mercedes, While it was OK I did not particularly care for Finders Keepers and while I found End of Watch rather formulaic I still rather enjoyed it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    13
    Anyone watching this? We have been recording it but hadn't started watching yet.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Anyone watching this? We have been recording it but hadn't started watching yet.
    Wish I was. I do not have subscription so I must wait. Really enjoyed season one though.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,674
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Wish I was. I do not have subscription so I must wait. Really enjoyed season one though.
    Same here.

  9. #9
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    13
    We will probably start watching this in a week or two. I'm not great at reviews but if I remember I will come back in here when we are done. I will spoiler the review if I end up getting to one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    13
    No review but I am loving season 2. I think it is a strong show.

  11. #11
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    24
    Anyone watched all of season 2? Loved the 1st season but really disliked the King sequels. From what I've read the second season seems to be an adaptation of the 3rd book.
    Does the supernatural element work in the TV series?

  12. #12
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    13
    It is an adaption of book 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Anyone watched all of season 2? Loved the 1st season but really disliked the King sequels. From what I've read the second season seems to be an adaptation of the 3rd book.
    Does the supernatural element work in the TV series?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24
    Now I am really confused. Mr. Mercedes has been renewed for a third season. If season 2 had been Finders Keepers that would make perfect sense. Since season 2 was book 3 what do they do now? Will season 3 cover book 2? Will season 3 cover The Outsider which is kind of book 4?

  14. #14
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    13
    I am unsure...Unless I have completely confused the books it appears season 2 more or less combined books 2 and 3.



    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Now I am really confused. Mr. Mercedes has been renewed for a third season. If season 2 had been Finders Keepers that would make perfect sense. Since season 2 was book 3 what do they do now? Will season 3 cover book 2? Will season 3 cover The Outsider which is kind of book 4?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24
    Lilja's Library is reporting that season 3 will be based on book 3. I will have to watch season 2 to figure if it was book 2 or some hybrid.

  16. #16
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    24
    Season 2 is a loose adaptation of the 3rd book, End Of Watch. It doesn't contain any of the main plot of book 2. There may be minor elements taken from book 2 like the private detective agency that Hodges and Holly set up but nothing major.

    It was watchable enough though nowhere near the level of the excellent 1st season.
    If you didn't mind Brady going from a very human psychopath into an almost supernatural character then you may enjoy it more than I did.
    I found the mind controlling storyline ludicrous in book form and just as dumb when adapted.

    I'd like to see the tv show going in its own direction. The Hodges and Holly characters are interesting enough to exist outside of King's trilogy.
    Last edited by Ranger; 11-29-2018 at 06:09 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,956
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Season 2 is a loose adaptation of the 3rd book, End Of Watch. It doesn't contain any of the main plot of book 2. There may be minor elements taken from book 2 like the private detective agency that Hodges and Holly set up but nothing major.

    It was watchable enough though nowhere near the level of the excellent 1st season.
    If you didn't mind Brady going from a very human psychopath into an almost supernatural character then you may enjoy it more than I did.
    I found the mind controlling storyline ludicrous in book form and just as dumb when adapted.

    I'd like to see the tv show going in its own direction. The Hodges and Holly characters are interesting enough to exist outside of King's trilogy.
    I wonder if Lilja's post is inaccurate as it sounds like book three has been covered. The Brady supernatural element in book three was off putting for me as well. Didn't hate it but it did detract from the story for me.

  18. #18
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I wonder if Lilja's post is inaccurate as it sounds like book three has been covered. The Brady supernatural element in book three was off putting for me as well. Didn't hate it but it did detract from the story for me.
    Yeah, he's definitely mistaken. I think the show's producer said that they wouldn't adapt book 2 because the main characters didn't show up till half way through the story.
    So, unless they decide to jump back to book 2 and dramatically rewrite the story they'll presumably go in a completely different direction for season 3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •