Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Strange Weather by Joe Hill

  1. #21
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    948 for the limited plus 52 for the lettered = 1,000 editions

    That's generally how the print runs go. Contracts are typically negotiated for a total number of books, that total number than dictates the number of each edition.
    Makes sense. As usual, I asked a question before actually putting any thought behind it.

  2. #22
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    And they're gone...
    What? Two weeks, if that, between the early CDCC announcement and the public one?

  3. #23
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,494
    Rep Power
    2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    What? Two weeks, if that, between the early CDCC announcement and the public one?
    One week, I believe. One of the requests in our survey of CDCC 7 members was more time between the advance notice and the public one, and while we usually won't be able to wait a week, we wanted to hold off as long as possible for this one as a way of thanking everyone who has joined the CDCC.

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Books to Benefit: http://www.BooksToBenefit.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    My Official Writing Website: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  4. #24
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    One week, I believe. One of the requests in our survey of CDCC 7 members was more time between the advance notice and the public one, and while we usually won't be able to wait a week, we wanted to hold off as long as possible for this one as a way of thanking everyone who has joined the CDCC.

    Brian
    Thanks very cool, Brian! That's a huge incentive for the CDCC crowd. I also noticed with this latest announcement; the order window is 72 hours vs 48. Is that a permanent change as well moving forward?

  5. #25
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,494
    Rep Power
    2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thanks very cool, Brian! That's a huge incentive for the CDCC crowd. I also noticed with this latest announcement; the order window is 72 hours vs 48. Is that a permanent change as well moving forward?
    Yep. CDCC coupon codes will now be valid for 72 hours or while supplies last.

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Books to Benefit: http://www.BooksToBenefit.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    My Official Writing Website: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  6. #26
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    13
    Wow, even the lettered is sold out! Congrats CD!

  7. #27
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,064
    Rep Power
    20
    Great to see this one sell out so fast. 90% before public offering and remaining quantities within 24 hours!

    Disappointed that Mr. Hill will not be coming to Portland to promote this release but if comes in the future I hope to be able to get the whole set in front of him so I can have each story signed!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,067
    Rep Power
    9
    SubPress has a new Locke & Key available for preorder:

    http://subterraneanpress.com/slider-...to-the-kingdom

  9. #29
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    if comes in the future I hope to be able to get the whole set in front of him so I can have each story signed!
    You read my mind.

  10. #30
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    SubPress has a new Locke & Key available for preorder:

    http://subterraneanpress.com/slider-...to-the-kingdom
    I wish I had gotten in on this series from the get-go. From the pictures I've seen, these are some nice editions

  11. #31
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Wow, even the lettered is sold out! Congrats CD!
    I actually thought that the lettered would have sold out first and was surprised when the limited beat it to the finish line.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I actually thought that the lettered would have sold out first and was surprised when the limited beat it to the finish line.
    $1000 is a good bit of change, even for a Joe Hill lettered...at that price, it's bound to go slower than the typical lettered, and the gap was large enough between it and the numbered that it made the numbered look much more attractive.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    $500 would've been in my range as well. As far as the print run, it's probably the agreement for 1000 copies, 52 for the lettered leaves 948 for the limited.
    Guys....
    Remember the gift certificates?
    Plus another 10% off...(CDCC discount)...
    What's 40% of 1000?? (That's what is cost me...)

    Well below the $500 range I'd say....
    In other words: join the 2018 CDCC!!!

    sk

  14. #34
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,064
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Guys....
    Remember the gift certificates?
    Plus another 10% off...(CDCC discount)...
    What's 40% of 1000?? (That's what is cost me...)

    Well below the $500 range I'd say....
    In other words: join the 2018 CDCC!!!

    sk
    A took the Gift certificate and CDCC discount into account when I said $500. I meant a list price of $500 and at that point I would have jumped on it. Truth be told I probably would have gone as high as $800 list price.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,064
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    A took the Gift certificate and CDCC discount into account when I said $500. I meant a list price of $500 and at that point I would have jumped on it. Truth be told I probably would have gone as high as $800 list price.
    With that being said. Clearly CD priced it correctly for the market as it sold out in a day. It just wasn't for me.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    With that being said. Clearly CD priced it correctly for the market as it sold out in a day. It just wasn't for me.
    Lettered never are for me; I kind of get why folks collect them, especially if they have add'l content or bells and whistles, but when most lettereds are fundamentally the same book but with a letter instead of a number the add'l cost-to-return benefit just isn't there for me...I'm perfectly content with a well-done numbered edition.

  17. #37
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Guys....
    Remember the gift certificates?
    Plus another 10% off...(CDCC discount)...
    What's 40% of 1000?? (That's what is cost me...)

    Well below the $500 range I'd say....
    In other words: join the 2018 CDCC!!!

    sk
    The half GCs are definitely the main draw to the CDCC. But every year when it's announced, it's always the absolute worse timing for me. I haven't been able to take advantage the last two years. If I had had some, I'd probably gone for the lettered. Truth is, they probably would have already been spent on the SB S/L.

  18. #38
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Lettered never are for me; I kind of get why folks collect them, especially if they have add'l content or bells and whistles, but when most lettereds are fundamentally the same book but with a letter instead of a number the add'l cost-to-return benefit just isn't there for me...I'm perfectly content with a well-done numbered edition.
    I get this. I'm always surprised when I see the PS lifetime subscriber "lettered" editions touted as being more rare and offered for a higher price than the standard numbered with the only difference being what is written in the box. The "standard" (i.e. Non-King) CD traycased lettered editions are nice with the traycase and leather bindings, but I can see where those two differences might not sway for a higher price tag, BUT the non-traycased CD lettered editions are SO different from the limited that I think they are worth the price tag.

    $500 is pretty much my limit and then that's iffy since that would dominate by budget. There are VERY few books that I would consider spending more on. I have a standing agreement with my wife that if a super-deluxe lettered of Ghost Story by Straub is ever offered, I get it regardless of price. (Okay, within reason, but that would be the "budget buster").

  19. #39
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Guys....
    Remember the gift certificates?
    Plus another 10% off...(CDCC discount)...
    What's 40% of 1000?? (That's what is cost me...)

    Well below the $500 range I'd say....
    In other words: join the 2018 CDCC!!!

    sk
    Congrats on snagging a lettered! I wish that I'd had that much saved up on the GCs, but I've been tempted too much by some of the recent offers (here's looking at you, half off OOP lettered edition offer!). I've been contemplating on curbing my spending on various other publishers to be able to save up for the next GC offer. In the long run, it'll give me more flexibility but I'm a weak-willed collector and probably won't stick to it. My fall back plan is to wait until the GC offer is sent out and pester my wife until she lets me spend too much money on GCs...

  20. #40
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,494
    Rep Power
    2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I have a standing agreement with my wife that if a super-deluxe lettered of Ghost Story by Straub is ever offered, I get it regardless of price. (Okay, within reason, but that would be the "budget buster").
    So my pitch to Peter for this book should be: "We can do something CRAZY for the Lettered Edition because Sock Monkey won't be able to say no!" And then Peter and I will both tent our fingers and say "excellent" like Mr. Burns.

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Books to Benefit: http://www.BooksToBenefit.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    My Official Writing Website: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •