Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dark Tower Movie

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Paul!!
    You're missing out on some of the best books King wrote.
    What are you waiting for??!!

sk
    Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass were my favorites of the DT series.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    YES. And I thought Wolves was a pointless addition to the series.

Also, I loved The Wind Through the Keyhole. Even though my Grant edition was bound like crap!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    YES. And I thought Wolves was a pointless addition to the series.

Also, I loved The Wind Through the Keyhole. Even though my Grant edition was bound like crap!

Wind was not out when I read the series. Have to get to it.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Mine as well, together with The Waste Lands

sk

Wind was not out when I read the series. Have to get to it.
    Grant STILL has artist editions available. Maybe because they were bound like crap. But who knows, you might get lucky: https://secure.grantbooks.com/produc...eyhole-artist/

I LOVE the Jae Lee art in this edition.

But even if you don't get the Grant edition, it is definitely worth a read.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    The reviews are in and it's not looking too good.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I have most of these in paperback and just haven't gotten around to them. I'll keep an open mind about the movie.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I was afraid of that.

There was an article in Variety (might be wrong) that discussed some of the trouble during filming - how three different parties (including King) had veto power and once something was vetoed it was dead. Explains why there has been next to nothing in terms of advertisements.

Now to decide if I see this in the theater or wait for Redbox (or Netflix.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The reviews are in and it's not looking too good.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    The reviews are not good. 21% on Rotten Tomatoes is showing that critics are not thrilled with this movie. I'll save any judgment until I see it, which I'm sure I eventually will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    The reviews are not good. 21% on Rotten Tomatoes is showing that critics are not thrilled with this movie. I'll save any judgment until I see it, which I'm sure I eventually will.
    They've actually improved since I went to Rotten Tomatoes. When I saw the number it was 18%

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Read Bev's review. It may make you feel better.

I think some people will not be happy with this because it is not a true adaptation of The Gunslinger. I will reserve judgement until I see it.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/...y-bev-vincent/

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

I think some people will not be happy with this because it is not a true adaptation of The Gunslinger. I will reserve judgement until I see it.

Well that's better.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

I hate to say it but I think Bev' s review might be a little biased. I think he is to close to the source. Nothing wrong with that. I love Bev's writing and reviews but I have been less then enthused with some of Kings writing that he loved. Like I said before I don't plan on seeing this in the theater any way. Probably wait for Netflix myself.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    I went to it last night and my expectations were very low. One of the few people I know who has read the books multiple times, said he enjoyed it so it gave me hope. He said you just need to be open to change. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised, and the buddy I went with, who knew virtually about it and whom I told to lower his expectations, said it was pretty good. That was my take on it, I wouldn't say it's great. There were issues that I think could have been easily corrected - it could have been longer to provide better background and explanation of things for people who haven't read it and it could have flowed better. The ending had the "this could be the only one but in case it makes money we'll leave it open-ended" syndrome, but I hope that doesn't mean Under the Dome syndrome. I enjoyed looking for and finding the King-related Easter eggs. I'll probably watch it again as I like repeat viewings to try to get more out of movies. Sometimes the second viewing completely changes my mind about a movie (The Truman Show, Unbreakable).

My history with the books started when The Drawing of the Three was released, I couldn't locate a copy of The Gunslinger so read book two first then book one when it was released in paperback. I think if I had read Gunslinger first way back then, I might never have finished the rest. Drawing is still my favorite of the series and when I reread Gunslinger a few years ago, I better appreciated it.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I went to it last night and my expectations were very low. One of the few people I know who has read the books multiple times, said he enjoyed it so it gave me hope. He said you just need to be open to change. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised, and the buddy I went with, who knew virtually about it and whom I told to lower his expectations, said it was pretty good. That was my take on it, I wouldn't say it's great. There were issues that I think could have been easily corrected - it could have been longer to provide better background and explanation of things for people who haven't read it and it could have flowed better. The ending had the "this could be the only one but in case it makes money we'll leave it open-ended" syndrome, but I hope that doesn't mean Under the Dome syndrome. I enjoyed looking for and finding the King-related Easter eggs. I'll probably watch it again as I like repeat viewings to try to get more out of movies. Sometimes the second viewing completely changes my mind about a movie (The Truman Show, Unbreakable).

My history with the books started when The Drawing of the Three was released, I couldn't locate a copy of The Gunslinger so read book two first then book one when it was released in paperback. I think if I had read Gunslinger first way back then, I might never have finished the rest. Drawing is still my favorite of the series and when I reread Gunslinger a few years ago, I better appreciated it.
    I almost didn't finish The Gunslinger. First one in the series I read, took me about a year to get through it. Glad I made it through in the end, as I love the rest of the series.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I almost didn't finish The Gunslinger. First one in the series I read, took me about a year to get through it. Glad I made it through in the end, as I love the rest of the series.
    Did you read the original or the reworked edition?

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Did you read the original or the reworked edition?
    No idea. Whatever the Kindle version is. All I know is I remember it being really slow and fairly uninteresting.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    No idea. Whatever the Kindle version is. All I know is I remember it being really slow and fairly uninteresting.

I believe I've only read the original, but I agree. It was easily the weakest entry in the series.

Junior Member Lurker Sam Tomlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Absolutely deserved! The only cool thing in the movie is the style of gun loading.
    Last edited by Sam Tomlin; 10-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.