X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS is what I was afraid of:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...-review-2017-8

Comment

Read Bev's review. It may make you feel better.

I think some people will not be happy with this because it is not a true adaptation of The Gunslinger. I will reserve judgement until I see it.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/...y-bev-vincent/

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I think some people will not be happy with this because it is not a true adaptation of The Gunslinger. I will reserve judgement until I see it.

Well that's better.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I hate to say it but I think Bev' s review might be a little biased. I think he is to close to the source. Nothing wrong with that. I love Bev's writing and reviews but I have been less then enthused with some of Kings writing that he loved. Like I said before I don't plan on seeing this in the theater any way. Probably wait for Netflix myself.

Comment

I went to it last night and my expectations were very low. One of the few people I know who has read the books multiple times, said he enjoyed it so it gave me hope. He said you just need to be open to change. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised, and the buddy I went with, who knew virtually about it and whom I told to lower his expectations, said it was pretty good. That was my take on it, I wouldn't say it's great. There were issues that I think could have been easily corrected - it could have been longer to provide better background and explanation of things for people who haven't read it and it could have flowed better. The ending had the "this could be the only one but in case it makes money we'll leave it open-ended" syndrome, but I hope that doesn't mean Under the Dome syndrome. I enjoyed looking for and finding the King-related Easter eggs. I'll probably watch it again as I like repeat viewings to try to get more out of movies. Sometimes the second viewing completely changes my mind about a movie (The Truman Show, Unbreakable).

My history with the books started when The Drawing of the Three was released, I couldn't locate a copy of The Gunslinger so read book two first then book one when it was released in paperback. I think if I had read Gunslinger first way back then, I might never have finished the rest. Drawing is still my favorite of the series and when I reread Gunslinger a few years ago, I better appreciated it.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
              I went to it last night and my expectations were very low. One of the few people I know who has read the books multiple times, said he enjoyed it so it gave me hope. He said you just need to be open to change. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised, and the buddy I went with, who knew virtually about it and whom I told to lower his expectations, said it was pretty good. That was my take on it, I wouldn't say it's great. There were issues that I think could have been easily corrected - it could have been longer to provide better background and explanation of things for people who haven't read it and it could have flowed better. The ending had the "this could be the only one but in case it makes money we'll leave it open-ended" syndrome, but I hope that doesn't mean Under the Dome syndrome. I enjoyed looking for and finding the King-related Easter eggs. I'll probably watch it again as I like repeat viewings to try to get more out of movies. Sometimes the second viewing completely changes my mind about a movie (The Truman Show, Unbreakable).

My history with the books started when The Drawing of the Three was released, I couldn't locate a copy of The Gunslinger so read book two first then book one when it was released in paperback. I think if I had read Gunslinger first way back then, I might never have finished the rest. Drawing is still my favorite of the series and when I reread Gunslinger a few years ago, I better appreciated it.
              I almost didn't finish The Gunslinger. First one in the series I read, took me about a year to get through it. Glad I made it through in the end, as I love the rest of the series.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                I almost didn't finish The Gunslinger. First one in the series I read, took me about a year to get through it. Glad I made it through in the end, as I love the rest of the series.
                Did you read the original or the reworked edition?

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                  Did you read the original or the reworked edition?
                  No idea. Whatever the Kindle version is. All I know is I remember it being really slow and fairly uninteresting.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    No idea. Whatever the Kindle version is. All I know is I remember it being really slow and fairly uninteresting.

I believe I've only read the original, but I agree. It was easily the weakest entry in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      The reviews are not good. 21% on Rotten Tomatoes is showing that critics are not thrilled with this movie. I'll save any judgment until I see it, which I'm sure I eventually will.
                      Absolutely deserved! The only cool thing in the movie is the style of gun loading.
                      Last edited by Sam Tomlin; 10-17-2017, 06:09 AM.
                      Metal God

Comment

Working...
                      X