After the Doubleday years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the Doubleday years

After the Doubleday years. So the good folks at Cemetery Dance are halfway through the publishing schedule. There have been questions raised about whether they will/should tackle the Viking years next.

I thought this would be a good time to speculate on what they would do next or offer thoughts on what they should do next.

I think they should publish the NAL books next:
    • Rage
      the Long Walk
      Roadwork
      The Running Man
      Thinner

Releasing them as individual hardbound books would be great. I also think the set would not be complete without Rage and an unsure if King would allow that. Hopefully as a limited only he would.

Or The Viking Years...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      After the Doubleday years. So the good folks at Cemetery Dance are halfway through the publishing schedule. There have been questions raised about whether they will/should tackle the Viking years next.

I thought this would be a good time to speculate on what they would do next or offer thoughts on what they should do next.

• Rage
        the Long Walk
        Roadwork
        The Running Man
        Thinner

Releasing them as individual hardbound books would be great. I also think the set would not be complete without Rage and an unsure if King would allow that. Hopefully as a limited only he would.
      I actually think Rage, in a way, is a seminal book in King's catalog. Both as an early footnote in his work as well as it's influence on society. I also think that it may be his most poignant book; focusing on school violence, ostracization and mental health in the real world. There is a lot to be learned from Rage. It's not an easy read, but a worthwhile one. I hope in the future King's, as well as societies, view of it as the ugly step child changes.

I would love to see something like that come to fruition, but I doubt it will.

Comment

I'd be interested in a NAL series, though Rage would have to be involved and I don't think that will happen. I think that it would sell like gangbusters due to its scarcity. There would be more overlap with PS with another edition of Thinner, though it seems that complaints about the overlap have slowed down.

The Viking Years would be interesting to me until it hits The Dark Half. Moving forward from there is where my interest wans a little.

Personally, I'd rather see a limited of Duma Key and Lisey's Story more than anything else...

Comment

I would like to see the NAL books if Rage is included before the Viking books. I really think Rage is an important element in the King's canon.

If the Viking years is to be done I would like Cemetery Dance to announce in blocks. I purchased Carrie and then when CD offered the next five as a block I jumped on it. I really appreciate the fact I do not have to stress out over each release and know I will have a complete matching set. I think offering the Viking years as a complete set would be cost prohibitive for many including myself. I believe if they offered them in four book blocks it would be a nice middle ground. You could purchase the copies individually or in blocks.

Comment

I really don't see King allowing an official publication of Rage in any format.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              I actually think Rage, in a way, is a seminal book in King's catalog. Both as an early footnote in his work as well as it's influence on society. I also think that it may be his most poignant book; focusing on school violence, ostracization and mental health in the real world. There is a lot to be learned from Rage. It's not an easy read, but a worthwhile one. I hope in the future King's, as well as societies, view of it as the ugly step child changes.

Isn't Rage the book that Stephen King tried to discourage the publisher from republishing? Cap
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post

Oopsy. The system double posted my reply. Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I'd love to see a CD edition of The Dead Zone, which is still one of my favorites after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

• Rage
                      the Long Walk
                      Roadwork
                      The Running Man
                      Thinner

I would love to see hardbound copies or even limiteds of the Bachman Books, especially The Long Walk, one of my favorite works by King. These are important works in King's catalog and I agree, the set would not be complete without Rage.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post
                      I really don't see King allowing an official publication of Rage in any format.
                      I agree.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      Isn't Rage the book that Stephen King tried to discourage the publisher from republishing? Cap

Yeah he refuses for it to be republished after two different spree shooters were found with copies in their possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        I'd be interested in a NAL series, though Rage would have to be involved and I don't think that will happen. I think that it would sell like gangbusters due to its scarcity. There would be more overlap with PS with another edition of Thinner, though it seems that complaints about the overlap have slowed down.

The Viking Years would be interesting to me until it hits The Dark Half. Moving forward from there is where my interest wans a little.

Personally, I'd rather see a limited of Duma Key and Lisey's Story more than anything else...
                        I agree that not all the Viking years need to be done. The early Viking years? Yes! IMO, that's when King was truly in his prime. Since then, it's been pretty hit and miss for me personally. Needful Things desperately needs the attend that it deserves and Duma Key, although not Viking, is probably the best late King novel to date IMO. That one definitely needs to get done.

I'd also like to see a Gift/Artist edition of the original Dark Tower series. Grant has the S/Ls covered but they pretty much just look like the trade editions.

I'm also a huge fan of the Hodges Trilogy as well. Wouldn't mind seeing those get done.

I don't think we'll ever see Rage printed again. I wouldn't mind see the other NALs done though. Minus Thinner. It was my first King read but nothing to write home about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          I agree that not all the Viking years need to be done. The early Viking years? Yes! IMO, that's when King was truly in his prime. Since then, it's been pretty hit and miss for me personally. Needful Things desperately needs the attend that it deserves and Duma Key, although not Viking, is probably the best late King novel to date IMO. That one definitely needs to get done.

I'd also like to see a Gift/Artist edition of the original Dark Tower series. Grant has the S/Ls covered but they pretty much just look like the trade editions.

I'm also a huge fan of the Hodges Trilogy as well. Wouldn't mind seeing those get done.

I don't think we'll ever see Rage printed again. I wouldn't mind see the other NALs done though. Minus Thinner. It was my first King read but nothing to write home about it.
                          Misery
                          Needful Things
                          Gerald's Game
                          Four Past Midnight

I'd buy any of those in a heartbeat. I don't think it would be wise for CD to touch the Dark Tower series. There is such a soft spot for the Grant Editions that I doubt people would turn up for new gift or artist editions. I could be wrong. They could be sold as special editions for a new generation. And I would say there's an opportunity to make a more cohesive set since the first time they were published there were YEARS between the sequels. Though if CD did them, there'd HAVE to be new content. A new Roland novella or novel! I love the Grant editions except Wind Through the Keyhole. The binding on that is garbage. I sent one book back and the replacement is showing the same weakness. I have an email to Karen French that hasn't gotten any response.

Comment

Misery and Four Past Midnight would be good.

As far as The Dark Tower series, I wouldn't be that interested. It's not for love for the Grant editions, but rather a lack of interest in the series. I've never made it past the first book. I know: "try the second one". It's just that the ending of the first one left me so cold...

I agree with everyone that I don't think that Rage will ever happen. It would be cool, though.

Comment

I would also like a "Eclipse" set (Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne).

Comment

Working...
                              X