BIRD BOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIRD BOX

Today is either Bird Box launch day from Dark Regions or Amazon Prime Day. Whichever gets you more excited.

Not an Amazon Prime guy so I guess I'll be more excited about Bird Box. I'm just waiting for Dark Regions to send me my gift certificate from their Kickstarter campaign. They said it should be this week. I hope the lettered holds out that long. Currently 16 copies left. Crossing those fingers...

Did you pull the trigger on Bird Box?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Did you pull the trigger on Bird Box?
      Yeah. I snatched the numbered. I'm a little disappointed that there's no slipcase, but not too upset because the price is good for a small print run. I was going to get the lettered, but I couldn't stretch that far right now.

Comment

I was surprised there wasn't a slipcase either. Probably DRP didn't think the price point with the slipcase would move the book, though that would put it in line with their limited of Off Season.

Congratulations on picking up the limited! The ONLY reason I'll be able to swing for a lettered (if it's still available) will because of the gift certificate. If not, it would--and might still be--a limited. I want to buy all kinds of lettered editions but my budget brings me back down to earth.

Comment

I was surprised there wasn't a slipcase either. Probably DRP didn't think the price point with the slipcase would move the book, though that would put it in line with their limited of Off Season.

Congratulations on picking up the limited! The ONLY reason I'll be able to swing for a lettered (if it's still available) will because of the gift certificate. If not, it would--and might still be--a limited. I want to buy all kinds of lettered editions but my budget brings me back down to earth.
          I was guessing that maybe they didn't want the slipcase to add to the production time. DRP seems to be sensitive about making customers wait for their books. Didn't they start a policy about not charging customers for preorders from other publishers until they had the books in hand?

I went with the lettered for Off Season. And I'm trying not to regret passing on the lettered here. Trying. But yeah, the Earth just comes rushing up to crash my dreams.

I hope the lettered hold out until you can swing it. I honestly thought both editions would be sold out by now. I'm STILL shocked that there's a lettered remaining for Off Season. So it shows how much I know.

Comment

Yeah, DRP did change their policy in regards to advance payment for other publishers' books. They do seem to be responsive to their customers, even when they take a misstep or two. The recent debacle regarding I Am the Abyss is a good example. I think it only took an hour or two for them to retract their modified plans for the book due to customer complaints.

I thought that Bird Box would be selling better as well. There is still 390 of the limited and 12 of the lettered left. Of course, most people are work and whatnot so I guess we'll see what the next couple of days bring. As far as why there is still a lettered Off Season available...I don't know. DRP isn't known for fancy lettered editions and the shift to traycased versus slipcased lettered editions is still relatively new for them. Maybe there is some hesitancy as far as quality? Maybe in resale value?

All I know is that I've also got an eye on that remaining Off Season lettered. We'll see if my plans for lettered domination come to fruition.

Comment

All I know is that I've also got an eye on that remaining Off Season lettered. We'll see if my plans for lettered domination come to fruition.
              Damn, it would be SWEET to have both lettered editions! I hope those last 12 sell out before I do something foolish.

If both editions aren't gone by Friday, I'll be stunned.

Comment

It's okay, you can do something foolish. We don't judge on this forum.

I wonder if the Launch Day offer is gone? The first seven customers that bought both editions got an original piece of artwork from the book. I'm not an art collector, but that's pretty cool.

I agree that I don't think both editions will hold out until next week. Come on, DRP, send me that gift certificate. I want to help you sell out of stuff!

Comment

It's okay, you can do something foolish. We don't judge on this forum.

I wonder if the Launch Day offer is gone? The first seven customers that bought both editions got an original piece of artwork from the book. I'm not an art collector, but that's pretty cool.

I agree that I don't think both editions will hold out until next week. Come on, DRP, send me that gift certificate. I want to help you sell out of stuff!
                  That is a pretty cool offer on the art piece. And if the book does well on the secondary market, you can recoup some of that cost by selling one of the editions. Though I'd think all seven have got to be gone by now.

In other news you and slayn666 got me to buy the Hodge book when I was trying to cool my buying. So thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

In other news you and slayn666 got me to buy the Hodge book when I was trying to cool my buying. So thanks!
                    No problem!

Comment

I thought that Bird Box would be selling better as well. There is still 390 of the limited and 12 of the lettered left. Of course, most people are work and whatnot so I guess we'll see what the next couple of days bring. As far as why there is still a lettered Off Season available...I don't know. DRP isn't known for fancy lettered editions and the shift to traycased versus slipcased lettered editions is still relatively new for them. Maybe there is some hesitancy as far as quality? Maybe in resale value?
                      I think the price point is too high; this should have been a $50 project. With still 385 copies left -- so five copies sold in one day, a day after launch -- it appears I'm not alone in that opinion. I was going to spring for a copy, but at $75 (and Chadbourne interior art, which seems really miscast for this project...*love* the cover art, though) I'll pass...at $75, I suspect it has nowhere to go but down on the secondary market, so I'll pick up a copy then, perhaps, once the market adjusts the price tag to where it should have been from the beginning.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I agree $75 is a bit high. I haven't read the book, but was willing to give it a shot in the dark for a S/L, but not at $75. Especially without a slipcase, colour interiors, artist sigs, or leather binding. Feels a bit steep for a barebones production.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          I agree $75 is a bit high. I haven't read the book, but was willing to give it a shot in the dark for a S/L, but not at $75. Especially without a slipcase, colour interiors, artist sigs, or leather binding. Feels a bit steep for a barebones production.
                          Interesting. I love getting a different perspective on these editions even if I don't entirely agree. When you consider that this book had considerable buzz when it was released and there's new content as well as the author's signature and only 500 copies, $75 doesn't seem that bad.

I do agree that at $50 it would be long gone. Anyone on the fence would have definitely been knocked off.

Everyone I know who has read this book has loved it. I've never read it, but I can't wait to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            I can see where you and RonClinton are coming from. If I compared this to a what is offered by CD or other companies, I'd expect the price to be around $60. For example, Relic was oversized, clothbound, limited to 698 copies and was sold for $65. I was expecting the $75 price tag due to the similarities in production to Off Season.

Also, DRP tends to be on the higher end of the price scale to begin with. Giving another example, Dreams From the Witch House is oversized, leather-bound, slipcased, signed by the authors and limited to 200 copies...and priced at $200. I do wish they'd be more moderate in their pricing as I'd probably pick up Dreams if it was in the $125 range. (Side note: I almost did as they offered a bundle on their last Kickstarter for the deluxe editions of The Red Brain, Dreams From the Witch House, and Return of the Old Ones for $333, but decided against it because (a) I didn't like that Return was in a different trim size than the other two and (b) took them up on another offer and only so much money, you know?)

Comment

I loved this book . One of my favorite reads in a lo g time but I am passing due to the price also.

Comment

Working...
                              X