Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daverob's Collection

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    It really is quite the outstanding edition and quite the nice gift! I dig the art quite a bit. The Martian Chronicles was the first Bradbury I read many moons ago when I was in high school.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Very nice!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Some pics from Centipede Press' Edgar Allan Poe The Man That Was Used Up.

Front cover, spine, and back cover

Endpapers:

Interiors:

...and a few more pics:

This pic has a pinkish tint to it. The fault is mine. It's not the book...

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Another fantastic edition from Centipede Press.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Oh man, that's one I've been after for a long while. A big congrats (even as I seethe with jealousy ;-)). Those pics make it looks as good as I'd always imagined.

Looks like an amazing book. Even better than the usual from CP. Great pics too!

I like to compare how different designers/publishers approach the same work. Here's a look at two different editions of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide. The edition on the left is from Hand & Eye Letterpress (who went small for their edition) and on the right is the Centipede Press edition (who went big). I admire them both for different reasons. The Hand & Eye has been on my list for quite, so I was quite happy to finally track one down.

Hand & & Eye does not have a slipcase, while Centipede does:

A text sample from Hand & Eye:

The same text from Centipede:

Hand & Eye endpapers:

Centipede endpapers:

Hand & Eye limitation and sig sheet:

Centipede limitation/sig sheet

Some of the artwork from Hand & Eye

and some from the Centipede edition:

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    I like to compare how different designers/publishers approach the same work. Here's a look at two different editions of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide. The edition on the left is from Hand & Eye Letterpress (who went small for their edition) and on the right is the Centipede Press edition (who went big). I admire them both for different reasons. The Hand & Eye has been on my list for quite, so I was quite happy to finally track one down.

Hand & & Eye does not have a slipcase, while Centipede does:

A text sample from Hand & Eye:

The same text from Centipede:

Hand & Eye endpapers:

Centipede endpapers:

Hand & Eye limitation and sig sheet:

Centipede limitation/sig sheet

Those are both fantastic editions. Love the comparative views.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Very nice!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    That comparative visual analysis was great, really enjoyed it -- thanks for posting it! I definitely prefer the Centipede edition but do see the appeal of the other.

Thanks for the comparative pictures. It's hard to pick a prefered edition. Both look fantastic. I love the paper and font in the Hand and Eye edition, the limitation sheet is very sharp and clean too. The CP edition is really grandiose though, much nicer endpapers too. Both have stunning art.

Thank you Brian, Ron, and Theli for the kind words. The Centipede edition wins hands down in terms of content and completeness, but I really do love the Hand & Eye. The choice of paper in the Hand & Eye is exquisite and the artwork is lovely. I wish I had a better way of conveying more about the paper in photos.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Daninsky's Avatar
    Dave, any idea who that third signature is from on the CP limitation page? My Limited has it, as well, but according to the page it's only supposed to have two, Moser and McGrath. Gogos only signed the deluxe, not the Limited. And that third sig (at the bottom) doesn't look like any of the above three anyhow. Any idea or is it another Centipede Mystery Special?

Quote Originally Posted by Daninsky View Post
    Dave, any idea who that third signature is from on the CP limitation page? My Limited has it, as well, but according to the page it's only supposed to have two, Moser and McGrath. Gogos only signed the deluxe, not the Limited. And that third sig (at the bottom) doesn't look like any of the above three anyhow. Any idea or is it another Centipede Mystery Special?
    You know, it never even occurred to me who that might be. Let me see if I can figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daninsky View Post
    Confirmed that the third sig is from Aeron Alrey, who did some black and white art in the book.

Shadow Over Innsmouth

In response to the "Your Holy Grail" thread, I am posting a lot of pics of one of mine. This is the ICHTHYIC edition of Lovecraft's Shadow Over Innsmouth from Heavenly Monkey (number X of XXV). As one person on this forum can probably attest, my initial reaction to this book was a bit hesitant. But I have grown to appreciate its many charms and its one of my favorites in my collection.

Its structure and casing are different from any book I have owned before or since. The casing is made of of a parchment paper. The printing on the cover and spine are underneath the outer layers of the casing, but somehow a part of it all. The quality of paper and printing on the inside are exquisite.

The book is slipcased in two paper cases, the outermost being purple with no printing on it, leaving the spine and fore-edge of the black inner case exposed. The black inner case has printing on the spine and the cover image of the book on the front.

I finally have a camera that can reasonably capture some of the details of this book. It's not an easy book to photograph. Hope you find this interesting:

In the slipcases:

Outer case removed, inner case still on:

Spine and front of the actual book, after the cases have been removed:

Some shots of the paper. I'm a sucker for interesting paper choices:

Finally, some interior shots:

Close up of the colophon:

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    In response to the "Your Holy Grail" thread, I am posting a lot of pics of one of mine. This is the ICHTHYIC edition of Lovecraft's Shadow Over Innsmouth from Heavenly Monkey (number X of XXV). As one person on this forum can probably attest, my initial reaction to this book was a bit hesitant. But I have grown to appreciate its many charms and its one of my favorites in my collection.

Its structure and casing are different from any book I have owned before or since. The casing is made of of a parchment paper. The printing on the cover and spine are underneath the outer layers of the casing, but somehow a part of it all. The quality of paper and printing on the inside are exquisite.

The book is slipcased in two paper cases, the outermost being purple with no printing on it, leaving the spine and fore-edge of the black inner case exposed. The black inner case has printing on the spine and the cover image of the book on the front.

I finally have a camera that can reasonably capture some of the details of this book. It's not an easy book to photograph. Hope you find this interesting:

In the slipcases:

Outer case removed, inner case still on:

Spine and front of the actual book, after the cases have been removed:

Some shots of the paper. I'm a sucker for interesting paper choices:

Finally, some interior shots:

Close up of the colophon:

That book looks amazing!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    What an interesting edition! Thanks for sharing the pictures!