Daverob's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daverob's Collection

Longtime lurker, ridiculously infrequent poster. Thought it was time to share parts of my collection. I like to include lots of photos from individual books, when it makes sense to do so, so apologies in advance if I overdo it from time to time. I'll keep the pic sizes on the smaller side.

First up is Chimera I from Centipede Press:

Slipcase:

Cover:

Endpapers:

Interior shots:

Thanks for starting another collector's thread. Chimera is a beauty! By the way, there is no such thing as too many photo's of books so bring it on.

Comment

Welcome to more active posting! I say bring on the pictures. What a great way to start your collection thread!

Comment

Very nice looking edition! Thanks for sharing. Judging by the bookshelves in the background you'll have quite a few great books to share with us here!

Comment

Off to a great start! I know much of what you have and your collection is one of the most impressive I am personally aware of, so it will be splendid to see some of these photos here. Thanks for sharing, Dave!

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome!

This one is Chimera II. The slipcase for this one is a standard Centipede slipcase, so I'll skip that pic.

One of the interesting design points of this book is the paper choice. I think for text it's all Mohawk Superfine in a number of different colors and then the images are printed on heavier paper. There are a number of foldouts.

Interior shots:

Comment

I am down to missing only seven Centipede Press books to complete my collection and OF COURSE you have to start out with two of them, you knave.

Seriously, though, these books look so fabulous. Thank you for sharing them. Looking greatly forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Comment

I have to say I had little interest in acquiring the Chimera books. But after seeing these sumptuous photographs I am changing my mind. If only I could change my wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                  I have to say I had little interest in acquiring the Chimera books. But after seeing these sumptuous photographs I am changing my mind. If only I could change my wallet.
                  Agreed. I'd no idea they were this nice. Probably still not quite my thing, but I feel myself being swayed every time I look at those above photos. Vol. II looks particularly impressive.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                    Wallet!? That would imply that you have a line on how to even find them. I have literally been looking for years. If I had to guess, I'd say that Dave has had both of these since they were published.

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
                      Wallet!? That would imply that you have a line on how to even find them. I have literally been looking for years. If I had to guess, I'd say that Dave has had both of these since they were published.
                      That's a fair point. I do remember seeing one or the other showing up periodically on Abebooks a while back, but at the time I wasn't even considering it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
                        If I had to guess, I'd say that Dave has had both of these since they were published.
                        Yes, that correct. I bought these both direct from Centipede when they were published. I've seen them come up for sale once or twice over the years, but they don't show up that often.
                        Last edited by daverob; 05-20-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I like to pick up ARCs from time to time. Here are a couple from Cemetery Dance:

Comment

Next up is The Colour Out of Space by HP Lovecraft from Amy Borezo at Shelter Bookworks. I really dig the design of this book. The papers for the covers are handmade, so each book is unique. Same look and feel, but slight differences. I met Amy Borezo at CODEX 2017 and she had a couple of other copies with her. While I really like mine, she had one there where the I liked the cover even more.

The material that the spine is made out of is a buffalo suede. This book also has a very unique design element that I haven't seen anywhere else, in which the spine "intrudes"on the pages. If I remember correctly, the publisher said in an interview that this was intended to reflect the invasive subject matter of Lovecraft's story.

This is a tougher book to photograph because of the colors and textures in some of the paper, so I had to open up the blackout curtains and get some momentary daylight assistance.

Traycase - closed

Tracycase - open

Cover
                            [/url]

Spine - close up

One of the title pages - this is difficult for me to photograph due to the way the paper reflects the light

Text with one of the "intrusions" from the spine:

Detail on the design element:

One more view from above:

Some more art:
                            [/url]

Limitation page:

Comment

That my friend is what book making as an art form is all about. Amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X