Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I just can't justify spending the money when so many more books are on the way that I will ultimately want more (Bring on the McCammon lettered editions, please!).
    Yeah. I know that grabbing this one means passing on a future offering. What made me jump is having both Stephen's and Owen's signatures. Feels like an event I just didn't want to miss out on. So on the horizon for me (and what I'll be spending money on for sure) is The Stand, Bird Box, Goblin, The Listener.

Apart from those, I might have to pass. And that might hurt when those other two McCammon books are revealed.

Comment

Ok, I'm just going to say it, My name is Mike and I rarely buy Stephen King, LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
        Ok, I'm just going to say it, My name is Mike and I rarely buy Stephen King, LOL!!!
        Hello Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          Find myself moving away from it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
            Find myself moving away from it as well.
            New King, I'd agree. I didn't buy Finders Keepers or End of Watch. I hated Revival. Doctor Sleep was hugely disappointing. This one seemed different. Or I was just a sucker for the event around the book.

But I would like to see Cemetery Dance be more than King's castle. Which is why I'm excited for the McCammon move.

Though I am super cautious about new authors from CD because Haven was just awful. Unless it was a YA novel. Shoot, even if it was a YA novel. I tried three times to read that book. I put it down every time I felt like punching it or someone. I would take a break and read something else. I only got halfway through.

Comment

I just reread my comment and it was pretty unfair to CD saying that it's King's Castle. I know there are lots of other authors here. I guess I'm only looking at the site through the lens of the authors who are "must buys" from me.

Comment

I feel like I missed something with all this talk of McCammon limiteds.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                  I feel like I missed something with all this talk of McCammon limiteds.
                  It was in Richard's update earlier in the year. He outlined what was in the works for CD. Among new projects, two unnamed McCammon limited editions (not new books, he said they were McCammon books that have never appeared "in this format before") as well as a brand new McCammon book called The Listener.

Comment

Here's the link to Richard'supdate:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/...ar-march-2017/

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      I just reread my comment and it was pretty unfair to CD saying that it's King's Castle. I know there are lots of other authors here. I guess I'm only looking at the site through the lens of the authors who are "must buys" from me.
                      The way I have looked at it is that the King offerings are what allow CD to introduce me to so many new authors. I still have Haven in my TBR pile so I can't speak of that one. However, CD has introduced me to Ed Gorman, Ray Garton, Douglas Clegg, Simon Clark, Kealan Patrick Burke and many others not to mention Brian James Freeman and Richard Chizmar. These are all authors I look forward to new releases from that I may not be aware of without Cemetery Dance.

Comment

Here's the link to Richard'supdate:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/...ar-march-2017/
                        Ah, now I remember. Thanks!

There's just too much going on in the small press limited arena nowadays, it's hard to keep up!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          The way I have looked at it is that the King offerings are what allow CD to introduce me to so many new authors. I still have Haven in my TBR pile so I can't speak of that one. However, CD has introduced me to Ed Gorman, Ray Garton, Douglas Clegg, Simon Clark, Kealan Patrick Burke and many others not to mention Brian James Freeman and Richard Chizmar. These are all authors I look forward to new releases from that I may not be aware of without Cemetery Dance.
                          Very very true! It's not the offerings here that are limited--it's my awareness and familiarity. Which is why my comment made me cringe a little.

Please, if you do read Haven please share your thoughts. I'm really curious to know what others think of it. So far, the Amazon reviews read like they're written by people who know Tom and want to give him a boost.

I just couldn't get past the repeated hackneyed confrontations with the town bullies.

Comment

Very very true! It's not the offerings here that are limited--it's my awareness and familiarity. Which is why my comment made me cringe a little.

Please, if you do read Haven please share your thoughts. I'm really curious to know what others think of it. So far, the Amazon reviews read like they're written by people who know Tom and want to give him a boost.

I just couldn't get past the repeated hackneyed confrontations with the town bullies.
                            I may push it up to my next book. I will share my thoughts once I finish it. For the record I had no issue with your comment. Not something I agree with but it was not overly negative in my view.

Comment

V

I have not read the book and have read varying opinions on it, but for what it's worth, it did win a 2016 Stoker Award:

Superior Achievement in a Novel
                              Langan, John – The Fisherman (Word Horde)

Superior Achievement in a First Novel
                              Deady, Tom – Haven (Cemetery Dance Publications)

Superior Achievement in a Young Adult Novel
                              Alexander, Maria – Snowed (Raw Dog Screaming Press)

Superior Achievement in a Graphic Novel
                              Chambers, James – Kolchak the Night Stalker: The Forgotten Lore of Edgar Allan Poe (Moonstone)

Superior Achievement in Long Fiction
                              Waggoner, Tim – The Winter Box (DarkFuse)

Superior Achievement in Short Fiction
                              Oates, Joyce Carol – The Crawl Space (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine Volume #2016/Issue#8) (Dell Magazines)

Superior Achievement in a Fiction Collection
                              Oates, Joyce Carol – The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror (Mysterious Press)

Superior Achievement in a Screenplay
                              Eggers, Robert – The VVitch (Parts and Labor, RT Features, Rooks Nest Entertainment, Code Red Productions, Scythia Films, Maiden Voyage Pictures, Mott Street Pictures, Pulse Films, and Very Special Projects)

Superior Achievement in an Anthology
                              Monteleone, Thomas F. and Monteleone, Oliva F. – Borderlands 6 (Samhain Publishing, Ltd.)

Superior Achievement in Non-Fiction
                              Franklin, Ruth – Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life (Liveright Publishing Corporation)

Superior Achievement in a Poetry Collection
                              Wytovich, Stephanie M. – Brothel (Raw Dog Screaming Press)

Other HWA Awards:

Mentor of the Year Award
                              Linda Addison

Silver Hammer Award
                              James Chambers

Specialty Press Award
                              Kate Jonez of Omnium Gatherum

Lifetime Achievement Award
                              Dennis Etchison
                              Thomas F. Monteleone
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                I have not read the book and have read varying opinions on it, but for what it's worth, it did win a 2016 Stoker Award:
                                Well that surprises me. Honestly. At least I can add "Stoker Award-Winner" to my auction listing if I decide to part ways with it.

More proof that reading a book is a personal thing and I just couldn't connect with Haven.

It's not you, Tom. It's me.

Comment

Working...
                                X