Thread: "The Other" Thomas Tryon Centipede Press

Hybrid View

Junior Member Visitor

"The Other" Thomas Tryon Centipede Press

I was looking for a copy of "The Other" published by Centipede Press. I've seen the limited edition floating around, but if anyone knows where I can purchase a copy of the traycased edition, please let me know! I think there were only 15 copies of this edition produced.

Thanks!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. These Centipede editions are hard to come by, though I did see a traycased Nightwalker by Tessier a year or two back. I'll keep an eye out. Good luck!

Junior Member Visitor
    Thanks Sock Monkey! They are!!! I'm just getting in to collecting and I'm trying to go back and find some of these older editions. Appreciate you looking out for a copy!
    Last edited by mphprez; 03-16-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by mphprez View Post
    I'm just getting in to collecting
    You're starting right at the top of the price and rarity scale if you're looking for Centipede lettereds. Good luck, and have fun.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    You're starting right at the top of the price and rarity scale if you're looking for Centipede lettereds. Good luck, and have fun.
    On the flip side, it only gets less expensive from there!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    On the flip side, it only gets less expensive from there!
    Well, there's a first edition Dracula signed by Bram Stoker on eBay right now for $52k

Junior Member Visitor
    Good point! We'll see how it goes!!

Junior Member Visitor
    Thanks Ron! It's one of my favorite books and I was hoping to get the best edition I could find. Plus I love a nice tray case.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Daninsky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mphprez View Post
    I was looking for a copy of "The Other" published by Centipede Press. I've seen the limited edition floating around, but if anyone knows where I can purchase a copy of the traycased edition, please let me know! I think there were only 15 copies of this edition produced.

Thanks!
    I have a decent number of traycased Centipede editions, though THE OTHER is not one of them. It's a worthy goal to seek after, but as others have mentioned here, not an easy one. I did want to mention, though, that Jerad basically produced two 'levels' of traycased works. THE OTHER (like THE NIGHTWALKER, and most others in that era) is basically the exact same as the limited edition, but bound in leather and with a very small, tight traycase. He also did extremely opulent 'full deluxe' traycased editions of a smaller number of books that were massively oversized with very special binding, portfolios of art prints, etc. Both types are worth owning, but I felt you should know that THE OTHER is going to be the smaller, less opulent style of 'deluxe.'

I have photos posted of all of my traycased Centipedes in my thread in the Members' Collections sub-forum if you want to look at them and get an idea. Good luck!

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Daninsky View Post
    I have a decent number of traycased Centipede editions, though THE OTHER is not one of them. It's a worthy goal to seek after, but as others have mentioned here, not an easy one. I did want to mention, though, that Jerad basically produced two 'levels' of traycased works. THE OTHER (like THE NIGHTWALKER, and most others in that era) is basically the exact same as the limited edition, but bound in leather and with a very small, tight traycase. He also did extremely opulent 'full deluxe' traycased editions of a smaller number of books that were massively oversized with very special binding, portfolios of art prints, etc. Both types are worth owning, but I felt you should know that THE OTHER is going to be the smaller, less opulent style of 'deluxe.'

I have photos posted of all of my traycased Centipedes in my thread in the Members' Collections sub-forum if you want to look at them and get an idea. Good luck!
    Daninsky,
    Thank you for explaining that. I had no idea about the differences. It's hard to tell from just Google Images. It sounds like it may be better (and cheaper) to aspire for the limited edition. Thanks again!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    There is a Centipede Press book by this author on eBay-Harvest Home-in hardcover.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    As someone who has both THE OTHER and HARVEST HOME in Centipede's editions, the latter is a far more attractive volume than the former. THE OTHER was one of Jerad's earlier volumes, and he was still figuring out how he wanted his books produced.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I can help out a bit more on this one. I have a copy of the deluxe and one of the states of the limited. I'm pretty sure the limited had two states: one with a black and yellow cover and one with a black only cover.

That's the limited on the left, the deluxe in the middle, and the case for the deluxe on the right.

The deluxe is actually narrower than the limited edition.

The deluxe has a different type of paper and different end sheets. There are also little differences in the interior between the two, in terms of some of the design in the front and back matter. The paper on the deluxe is much thicker and the binding is really tight. In my opinion, there are a number of nice touches in the limited that are different from the deluxe. In some ways, I like these little touches in the limited better.

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    As someone who has both THE OTHER and HARVEST HOME in Centipede's editions, the latter is a far more attractive volume than the former. THE OTHER was one of Jerad's earlier volumes, and he was still figuring out how he wanted his books produced.
    Thanks Ron! That's good to know.