No announcement yet.

Daninsky's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being perfectly honest, I lost some respect for King after reading that quote some years ago. It just seems intellectually dishonest; King had been allowing limited editions for decades when he said that, and he hasn't stopped in the past ten years. If anything, number of King limited released per year has gone up significantly because so many of his books are hitting the 10/20/30 year anniversary.

If he didn't want to work with Jerad, he should have either said why, or said nothing at all. Complaining about limited editions in general rings hollow when there are literally tens of thousands of the things floating around out there.

Comment

I had never read that interview before. Thanks for posting it; completely unknown to me. I was also not aware that a CP edition of THE SHINING had ever been in the pipeline. Quite possibly before my time dealing with Centipede. But the stuff you posted here could certainly have had an impact. As I said, I'd never asked. It is probably important to bear in mind that Salem's Lot was put out in 2004, which was extremely early on in Centipede's lifetime as a press. I think it was only the second or third hardcover Jerad had ever done. His process was probably a bit rougher than it is nowadays.

That all said, I think the interview more or less clears up any mystery you may have had in your initial question. Straight from King's mouth, as it were...he refused to do any future work because he perceived Jerad to be too demanding as a publisher and he found the end product to be wasteful and ostentatious. I'm personally inclined to disagree, but I'm not King.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
        ...It just seems intellectually dishonest; King had been allowing limited editions for decades when he said that, and he hasn't stopped in the past ten years. If anything, number of King limited released per year has gone up significantly because so many of his books are hitting the 10/20/30 year anniversary.

...Complaining about limited editions in general rings hollow when there are literally tens of thousands of the things floating around out there.
        THIS.
        Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Well, he is doing the film studies which are interesting in their own right.

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
            I had never read that interview before. Thanks for posting it; completely unknown to me. I was also not aware that a CP edition of THE SHINING had ever been in the pipeline. Quite possibly before my time dealing with Centipede. But the stuff you posted here could certainly have had an impact. As I said, I'd never asked. It is probably important to bear in mind that Salem's Lot was put out in 2004, which was extremely early on in Centipede's lifetime as a press. I think it was only the second or third hardcover Jerad had ever done. His process was probably a bit rougher than it is nowadays.

That all said, I think the interview more or less clears up any mystery you may have had in your initial question. Straight from King's mouth, as it were...he refused to do any future work because he perceived Jerad to be too demanding as a publisher and he found the end product to be wasteful and ostentatious. I'm personally inclined to disagree, but I'm not King.
            He actually started work on The Shining prelims, no actual book made but had some promotion materials. Very few copies of these in print. I'll do some digging and see if I can find some photos of it. Looked promising...

I get where King was coming from, and I have read other opinions of his on limited editions (and hell he's pretty much stopped signed s/l editions altogether now) and I think he maybe targeted Jerad's work unfairly, as his was arguably the most over the top King limited edition. Perhaps his view on limited editions had slackened a bit afterwards. Jerad on the other hand probably received the rejection rather sourly, as it was harsh, though I doubt he would say much about it publicly, and is just as happy to not work with King now.

Edit: For those interested in the CP The Shining prelims, check here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ver-Seen/page5

and here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ver-Seen/page7

Scroll down a bit.
            Last edited by Theli; 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              ...I get where King was coming from, and I have read other opinions of his on limited editions (and hell he's pretty much stopped signed s/l editions altogether now) and I think he maybe targeted Jerad's work unfairly, as his was arguably the most over the top King limited edition. Perhaps his view on limited editions had slackened a bit afterwards.
              The thing is, this antipathy of King's toward limited editions has not manifested elsewhere - he has gone right on approving these things, including the 2014 $4k PS Publishing edition of Carrie that (dollarwise at least) was much more "ohmigodelitist" or whatever than CP's SL, which (I believe) initially sold for under $1k. This obvious disconnect between King's statements and actions hints at an undisclosed rationale for avoiding CP, which stokes my curiosity, especially given that CP's first and only SK work, widely hailed as one of the best SK limiteds ever, may also be its last.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm calling King a liar or hypocrite, because I'm not; I believe he (and Jerad as well, for that matter) is entitled to keep the factors behind his decisions confidential if he likes.
              Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Maybe it is King giving the fans what they want despite his misgivings?

Comment

For those interested in the CP The Shining prelims, check here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ver-Seen/page5

and here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ver-Seen/page7

Scroll down a bit.
                  Sheesh...how do you prevent something like this from happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                    Maybe it is King giving the fans what they want despite his misgivings?
                    I think that is more it than anything else. He's also quit signing books for PS, I imagine the exorbitant prices may have had something to do with it.

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                    Sheesh...how do you prevent something like this from happening?
                    Especially with Potter's name tied to it, this could well have been the best s/l ever...

That said, Sub. Press's edition and CD's upcoming edition, and hell even Folio's edition are all tremendous renditions of the book.

Comment

More of that SK interview, for anyone interested: http://www.liljas-library.com/showin...hp?id=36&gt%3B

Comment

It's all taste and this is only my opinion, but Folio Society's Shining left me completely flat (and I love the Folio Society; I own a few of their editions and have my eye on dozens more).

Comment

I feel like we are hi-jacking Daninsky thread a bit, but it is a good subject for bibliophiles. I don't own the Folio edition yet, I do love the art though. I think Edward Kinsella's style is quite striking and suits the mood well (there's something elegant yet dark about it, like the Overlook). I also like the end papers, they were a minor stroke of genius in my mind. Simple but effective. I also like that each edition has it's own style of art, each artist stands on their own. I will say that the problem with Folio each of their regular print books are made the same, yet still in some ways lacking uniformity for shelf appeal. Their slipcases, though better than none, are also a bit disappointing.

Comment

I feel like we are hi-jacking Daninsky thread a bit, but it is a good subject for bibliophiles. I don't own the Folio edition yet, I do love the art though. I think Edward Kinsella's style is quite striking and suits the mood well (there's something elegant yet dark about it, like the Overlook). I also like the end papers, they were a minor stroke of genius in my mind. Simple but effective. I also like that each edition has it's own style of art, each artist stands on their own. I will say that the problem with Folio each of their regular print books are made the same, yet still in some ways lacking uniformity for shelf appeal. Their slipcases, though better than none, are also a bit disappointing.
                            It is, yes. I don't mind the hi-jack, really. I'll get back to posting more pics soon anyway. But, as it is a good subject for bibliophiles, you guys might want to move it into the SK section of the site or something. No one's likely to see it and contribute to it here after I bury it in my next round of pics. If you move it to the SK section or the Other Publisher section, it'll be a lot more accessible for others to find and join in.

Comment

Moving on to Subterranean Press at this point, which I have collected almost as heavily as Centipede. They don't generally quite match Centipede for production value, but some of their stuff is very very nice and they do publish a wide range of interesting authors. They also, of course, have published what I would consider the definitive and most beautiful editions of my absolute favorite, tops-all-others epic dark fantasy series, Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I'm starting off with my Lettered editions from SP. I'll do individual detailed shots of most of these, since they are Lettered editions, and then move on to the s/l portion of this collection.

Note: That missing lettered GotM by Erikson is one of the most vexing gaps in my entire collection. If anyone happens to be sitting on an elusive stand-alone copy of this book, I would love to talk you out of it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

GRRM, Tim Powers, and Dan Simmons
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X