Daninsky's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daninsky's Collection

I've been here a while now, mostly just lurking and admiring everyone's collections. Finally decided I'd start posting some of my own library, as I feel that sharing one's acquisitions with other enthusiasts in a hobby is one of the most gratifying aspects of collecting! I think I'm going to post my stuff by publisher until I get 'caught up.' I'll do most of it by 'shelf', aside from a few really special pieces that I think warrant their own set of pics.

Going to start with my favorite publisher, Centipede Press. First book I'm sharing is actually the centerpiece of my entire collection, Centipede or otherwise. I've never come across another one of these and it remains my most treasured volume and one of the most gorgeously put-together books I've ever had the pleasure of touching, let alone owning.

Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" deluxe edition, published in 2007 by Centipede Press in full Chieftain goatskin leather, with deckled Saunders Waterford paper and an accompanying traycase. Only 13 of this state (numbered in Roman Numerals) were created, with 11 of them sold before publication and the other two going (I believe) to Mr. Walters and Mr. Wolfe.
    Attached Files

More images of Centipede's deluxe Wolfe...
    Attached Files

Comment

Always great to have a new collection page! I can't wait to leaf through it when you're all caught up. Tremendous start so far!

Comment

Thanks for starting a new collection thread. I look forward to wanting more books! Off to a great start that first book is a beauty!

Comment

Next up is another one of Jerad's (extremely) elusive deluxe traycased editions. This one was an entry in his MotWT series, Algernon Blackwood.

The size of these deluxe editions he used to put out is staggering. The first image here features the deluxe edition photographed alongside the standard signed/limited Blackwood volume Centipede put out. Any of you who own a MotWT volume know that they're rather hefty on their own. It's very tough trying to find proper shelving for these beasts, not that I'm complaining. Like most of his deluxe releases, this one came with collection of prints from the book, housed in a smaller, secondary case.
          Attached Files

Comment

This Centipede fan boy thanks you for these, and is looking forward to more.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks so much for your comments, gentlemen! I'm thrilled that I can share these images with people who earnestly enjoy and appreciate them. I'm a pretty serious Centipede fanboy, myself. He's had a few misses in the bunch over the years, but by and large Jerad's quality of work is stunning. I wish I had a fraction of his energy!

Third deluxe traycase Centipede here, this one is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. A little bit smaller than the previous two and with a softer synthetic material than the cloth he usually used for traycases, it also includes the requisite accompanying collection of prints. And beautiful ones at that. If I had a complaint (I really don't) it would be that the actual book itself here is fundamentally identical to the Limited version aside from the enumeration page and accompanying traycase. He usually went quarter or full leather for these deluxes, but kept this one the same as the standard. Still a gorgeous book though.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Daninsky; 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Do many Centipede traycase editions have that "off center" style traycase? Do you prefer this traycase style to conventional centered ones (assuming you have those as well - I have neither)?

Thanks for posting - I don't yet have anything from Centipede, but from what I've seen, I quite like their work.
                Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Wow, those are amazing! Thanks for posting the pics!
                  “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                  -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                    Do many Centipede traycase editions have that "off center" style traycase? Do you prefer this traycase style to conventional centered ones (assuming you have those as well - I have neither)?

Thanks for posting - I don't yet have anything from Centipede, but from what I've seen, I quite like their work.
                    No real preference. To be honest, the traycases are closed and on the shelf 99% of the time, so the disposition of the book inside isn't a subject of great concern to me. I think that, visually-speaking, the 'off center' arrangement is a bit more striking, but even that is only a very slight preferential bent.

Comment

The three above were my only oversize deluxe Centipedes. The three included here are also deluxe, traycased editions, but they are significantly smaller than the previous ones.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Now on to the signed/limited Centipede shelves. Most of these are a lot less rare, so I'm just posting in batches. But if anyone wants to see any closer up, please ask and I'll provide additional photos.

The astute collectors among you may note after viewing these photos that I am still missing ELEVEN books that keep me from a complete Centipede Press collection. Just putting out there that if any of you have any of the eleven I still need, I am more than happy to talk about reasonable offers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Continuing with Centipede Press...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Finishing up with Centipede...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Damn man, that is a hell of a collection! I like the hints of Easton Press books in there too.

Are you missing Nosferatu Studies in the Horror Film? Can't figure out the others off the top of my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X