2017 Reading list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I have a 17 mile drive. I go in before there is traffic so it is about a 1/2 hour. The drive home takes 45 minutes to an hour. That is the only time that listening to stories works for me. I spend about half my day at a computer so I have headphones on, I listen to satellite radio there though. I have tried listening at work and find I miss chunks of the story as I am unable to focus on the story. I have the same issue listening at home and if someone else is in the car with me, the distractions just make me lose the story.
    Ahh yea I'm pretty good at multi tasking. Though I tend to pause often / use the skip backwards 30 seconds button if I missed something.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
      It amazes me when I see people reading 50, 100 books in a year (and I mean larger size novels too). I can't fathom fitting that much reading into my life - maybe I'm a slow reader (and I know I am), but with all the other stuff going on.....damn! Kudos to those who do.
      I'm not a big TV guy. I listen to a lot of music, which I really enjoy, while reading. Really looking forward to retirement, when I hope to have time to read and write to my hearts content. That's the dream anyway lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
        I'm not a big TV guy. I listen to a lot of music, which I really enjoy, while reading. Really looking forward to retirement, when I hope to have time to read and write to my hearts content. That's the dream anyway lol!!
        I had a major surgery in 2014 and again in 2016 (Both hips replaced). It was the only time since my teenage years I did not have to go to work or school. I had great plans to get a bunch of reading done. Turns out it is really hard to concentrate on reading after a major surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          That's actually the one thing I can't do. My brain is incapable of listening to music and reading at the same time.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Thanks for the tip on The Library Policeman, Martin. I've never read that one but have the e-book.

A main reading goal I have for 2017 is to really hit up the short stories of the old school science fiction grandmasters.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              That's actually the one thing I can't do. My brain is incapable of listening to music and reading at the same time.
              Same here. I actually need a distinct lack of noise, so sometimes I'll throw headphones on but a lot of the time use a white (pink) noise generator from a website that helps fold ambient noise into itself. It works pretty well most of the time, but there's not much you can do if kids are screaming outside.

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/wh...eGenerator.php
              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

OK that does it, my next read will be The Library Policeman.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                  Same here. I can have music on, but I might hear the first song, if that. I could look up from a book an hour later and realize that the music is still playing, but I haven't heard a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                    I bus to and from work (parking is extortionate and driving is aggravating in downtown Winnipeg) so I get most of my reading done on my commute. When at home I either listen to music, have a movie playing in the background or take turns reading aloud with my girlfriend while doing chores, so no time for audiobooks for me.
                    I thought you were going to say it's so cold in Winnipeg, audiobooks would cease to work! Just kidding!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                      Same here. I can have music on, but I might hear the first song, if that. I could look up from a book an hour later and realize that the music is still playing, but I haven't heard a thing.
                      I am that way with TV or radio playing well I am reading. My wife will walk in when I am reading with the TV on and she will ask what is on TV. I realize then that I have no idea what is on the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                        I don't often listen to music while reading, but I used to do it all the time. I would snap out of it to clicking static and realize the side of my LP had been finished for a long time.

Comment

I listen to Jazz while reading. Or classical music. Anything else is too distracting.

Comment

Silence is preferred but often I find myself trying to read in a noisy environment. I've gotten pretty good at reading with the TV on, music playing, noisy kids running around etc. If I can read in a crazy noisy environment, I can read anywhere and that's very reassuring! Preferred music is ambient.

Comment

Working...
                            X