Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Reading list

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I sometimes think I might try taking a more disciplined approach to reading and then I think, screw that, where's the fun in that LOL!! I can appreciate the sense of accomplishment that people get from reaching these types of goals and I might try it one day, but for right now I read as my Wimsey takes me!! And it usually takes me pretty far afield, especially with great suggestions from all of you here on the forum.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    I mostly end up like that too - just read whatever. Sometimes I will spend over half an hour or more scanning through my bookshelves to decide what to read next.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    ^I agree with both of you guys. It's not specifically a strict goal that I am trying to meet, per se, but rather just some things that I've been meaning to do. Whether I actually get to them or not matters very little in the long term, haha.

It amazes me when I see people reading 50, 100 books in a year (and I mean larger size novels too). I can't fathom fitting that much reading into my life - maybe I'm a slow reader (and I know I am), but with all the other stuff going on.....damn! Kudos to those who do.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    It amazes me when I see people reading 50, 100 books in a year (and I mean larger size novels too). I can't fathom fitting that much reading into my life - maybe I'm a slow reader (and I know I am), but with all the other stuff going on.....damn! Kudos to those who do.
    I would probably listen to 50 audio books a year if I had 50 books I was interested in listening to. Unfortunately my tastes in books is very narrow / focused and very few things really fit into what I like, and audio books are far to expensive to experiment with.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I would probably listen to 50 audio books a year if I had 50 books I was interested in listening to. Unfortunately my tastes in books is very narrow / focused and very few things really fit into what I like, and audio books are far to expensive to experiment with.
    I love audio books and if I had any real commute I would listen to more. Cost is one factor because they can add up but I typically stick to short stories and collections on audio.

Audio books for me, are like what Martin said. I only drive 10 mins to work and back, and then just doing errands here and there, so never ventured into them.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I bus to and from work (parking is extortionate and driving is aggravating in downtown Winnipeg) so I get most of my reading done on my commute. When at home I either listen to music, have a movie playing in the background or take turns reading aloud with my girlfriend while doing chores, so no time for audiobooks for me.

I have about a half hour commute (amazing that 12 miles takes half an hour) but mostly I generally just have 1 earbud in all day at the office listening to podcasts / audio books all day. Generally I can do an audiobook a week, more if I'm super into it and not really doing much at home. I think I was averaging a Harry Potter book every 3 days when I was going over those again last summer.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

I have about a half hour commute (amazing that 12 miles takes half an hour) but mostly I generally just have 1 earbud in all day at the office listening to podcasts / audio books all day. Generally I can do an audiobook a week, more if I'm super into it and not really doing much at home. I think I was averaging a Harry Potter book every 3 days when I was going over those again last summer.
    I have a 17 mile drive. I go in before there is traffic so it is about a 1/2 hour. The drive home takes 45 minutes to an hour. That is the only time that listening to stories works for me. I spend about half my day at a computer so I have headphones on, I listen to satellite radio there though. I have tried listening at work and find I miss chunks of the story as I am unable to focus on the story. I have the same issue listening at home and if someone else is in the car with me, the distractions just make me lose the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have a 17 mile drive. I go in before there is traffic so it is about a 1/2 hour. The drive home takes 45 minutes to an hour. That is the only time that listening to stories works for me. I spend about half my day at a computer so I have headphones on, I listen to satellite radio there though. I have tried listening at work and find I miss chunks of the story as I am unable to focus on the story. I have the same issue listening at home and if someone else is in the car with me, the distractions just make me lose the story.
    Ahh yea I'm pretty good at multi tasking. Though I tend to pause often / use the skip backwards 30 seconds button if I missed something.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    I'm not a big TV guy. I listen to a lot of music, which I really enjoy, while reading. Really looking forward to retirement, when I hope to have time to read and write to my hearts content. That's the dream anyway lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I'm not a big TV guy. I listen to a lot of music, which I really enjoy, while reading. Really looking forward to retirement, when I hope to have time to read and write to my hearts content. That's the dream anyway lol!!
    I had a major surgery in 2014 and again in 2016 (Both hips replaced). It was the only time since my teenage years I did not have to go to work or school. I had great plans to get a bunch of reading done. Turns out it is really hard to concentrate on reading after a major surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    That's actually the one thing I can't do. My brain is incapable of listening to music and reading at the same time.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Thanks for the tip on The Library Policeman, Martin. I've never read that one but have the e-book.

A main reading goal I have for 2017 is to really hit up the short stories of the old school science fiction grandmasters.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    That's actually the one thing I can't do. My brain is incapable of listening to music and reading at the same time.
    Same here. I actually need a distinct lack of noise, so sometimes I'll throw headphones on but a lot of the time use a white (pink) noise generator from a website that helps fold ambient noise into itself. It works pretty well most of the time, but there's not much you can do if kids are screaming outside.

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/wh...eGenerator.php
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    OK that does it, my next read will be The Library Policeman.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Same here. I can have music on, but I might hear the first song, if that. I could look up from a book an hour later and realize that the music is still playing, but I haven't heard a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I bus to and from work (parking is extortionate and driving is aggravating in downtown Winnipeg) so I get most of my reading done on my commute. When at home I either listen to music, have a movie playing in the background or take turns reading aloud with my girlfriend while doing chores, so no time for audiobooks for me.
    I thought you were going to say it's so cold in Winnipeg, audiobooks would cease to work! Just kidding!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Same here. I can have music on, but I might hear the first song, if that. I could look up from a book an hour later and realize that the music is still playing, but I haven't heard a thing.
    I am that way with TV or radio playing well I am reading. My wife will walk in when I am reading with the TV on and she will ask what is on TV. I realize then that I have no idea what is on the TV.