• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, travel safe!

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Andrew.

Comment

Don't worry about us man, we'll wait for you, we can watch something else. Take care of yourself and yours right now. You have my condolences.

Comment

^What Theli said, we will wait. I'm very sorry for your loss Andrew.

Comment

Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry for your loss Andrew

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that as well. My condolences to you and yours.

Comment

Is anyone still interested in doing a bit more low key watch this Wednesday? Maybe something we've all already seen, like The Big Sleep?

Comment

Thanks, everyone--much appreciated.
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Good to see you back again!

Is anyone interested in a film noir night tomorrow?

Comment

I am! I am! I've had a cold the last couple of days but am almost certain no one could catch it from an online chat room.
                        -John Barth

Comment

Excellent! Start time of 9pm still work? And do you want to tackle Night and the City, or is there another one you want to watch?

Comment

Yep, same time would be great for me. And Night and the City is still staring me down from the shelf, so if everyone agrees that one would be perfect!
                            -John Barth

Comment

I think I can make it, glad you're feeling better Andrew!

Comment

I watched an interesting film yesterday, one that could arguably be considered film noir, though I don't think it often is. Regardless it directly ties into the genre so I'll mention it here; La Chienne (1931). The story is of an unsuccessful artist in an unhappy marriage, when out with co-workers sees a young woman being abused by what appears to be her boyfriend. Needless to say he instantly falls in love. Unfortunately for him, and her, the man was not her boyfriend but was in fact her pimp, and he forces her to use this man for financial gain. She has no love for this unsuccessful artist at all and sells off his paintings to help fund her pimp, the man she actually loves, though the feelings are not reciprocated.

Does this sound familiar at all? That's because it is the original version of Scarlet Street, with some obvious changes. First being that this version as released before the Hays code was implemented, and as such the woman's boyfriend is actually her pimp in this version and wantonly uses her throughout. There is also a specific scene that probably would not have been allowed in Scarlet Street at the time, a quick shot of gore. The ending, too, is changed, though I won't elaborate how. Also it's French, so does that automatically exclude it from being film noir?

The filming is actually quite close to the US counterpart, very dark and shadowy filmed mostly in city streets, bars and claustrophobic apartments. Though perhaps slightly more brightly lit than Scarlet Street or most other film noir, it does still have many dark scenes with foreboding shadows splashed on the set. The theme of people using others is still there, as is the underlying current of desperation, deprivation and failure.

Despite my love of Fritz Lang, I may actually prefer this version to Scarlet Street. In almost every way is this film superior, the one big ace in the hole for Scarlet Street though is a generally higher level of acting. La Chienne was an early talky and kind of suffers a bit from stagey acting that was prominent at the time. It's not terrible in this way by any means, just not up to par with the later film.

Comment

Working...
                                X