Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How goes the noir journey, bugen?

Comment

Hey, Tommy! Sorry for the late response.

The last noir I watched was actually The Night of the Hunter. After we watched it together I tried a write-up, but it was giving me some difficulty. So I watched it again a couple of days later and tried to write again, and realized I still wasn't doing it properly.

I've seen it either 3-4 times now, trying to get thoughts on paper after, and have lost the battle each time. It's that dreamy sequence on the river, I'm convinced. That sequence just blows me away. It's like it's both always supposed to have been in the film and never, and something about it fries my brain.
      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I love how you think. I've seen that one maybe ten times and it's still endlessly fascinating. A great tragedy of film is that Laughton never directed again. There are still plenty of beautiful films made these days but gosh, just nothing like TNotH gets made any more. The imagery alone is enough for the compendiums of analysis. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why it isn't in my all time top ten.

Comment

Working...
        X