No announcement yet.

What are you Reading this Holloween!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polished off both Ghost Story and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Now reading Robert Aickman's Sub Rosa and Richard Matheson's Stir of Echoes.

Comment

Sad to say, I did not like The Fireman. The idea that that book might be the last thing I ever read was too frightening to make me want to read anything new by Hill. I might read 20th Century Ghosts and Horns, but I'm otherwise done with him. But it did make me want to read The Stand again (the 1978 version) just to wash the bad memories away.

Moving on to The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        Sad to say, I did not like The Fireman. The idea that that book might be the last thing I ever read was too frightening to make me want to read anything new by Hill. I might read 20th Century Ghosts and Horns, but I'm otherwise done with him. But it did make me want to read The Stand again (the 1978 version) just to wash the bad memories away.

Interesting. This one seems to fall into two camps, those who love it and those who hate it. I have seen only a few opinions in the middle.

Comment

Count me in the camp of those who did not like THE FIREMAN -- and this from an ardent Joe Hill fan. I've loved everything he's done (though HORNS perhaps less so than his others), but THE FIREMAN was just not very good. I remain a bit shocked and puzzled, given my affection for his work leading up to this point and my excitement that it was to be a post-apocalyptic novel, but it is what it is. At least it saved me some $$ as I didn't have to dish out the big bucks for the PS signed/limited...frankly, not even sure I would have splurged on the signed/numbered Goldsboro UK HC edition (with aftermarket slipcase) if I would have simply read first the U.S. trade HC.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            .frankly, not even sure I would have splurged on the signed/numbered Goldsboro UK HC edition (with aftermarket slipcase) if I would have simply read first the U.S. trade HC.
            If you ever want to part with this, I'm listening.

Comment

I'm still looking forward to reading more Hill, but I probably won't be tackling The Fireman for a while. Still have his older works to read yet.

Finished off Stir of Echoes by Matheson, I liked it well enough, but it didn't blow me away like Hell House had. Kind of oddly paced with a bit too much pseudoscience psychobabble. I did like the elements of insanity and self doubt peppered throughout.

Still reading Sub Rosa, and enjoying Aickman's prose. Also started up Clive Barker's Books of Blood, 3 stories into volume 1 and enjoying it.

Comment

Finished The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Nobody can flay my nerves raw like Ketchum. I can't call TGND entertaining, but it was damned effective. Still thinking about my next read.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Want to get my hands on this! Saw the movie, and it was disturbing (in a good way!).

Comment

It was a well made movie, quite disturbing and moving.

I should ready more Ketchum at some point, so far I've only tackled his first novel Off Season. Which was good, but not great.

Comment

The Girl Next Door is fantastic. Brutal, but amazing. Every horror fan should read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                        I'm still looking forward to reading more Hill, but I probably won't be tackling The Fireman for a while. Still have his older works to read yet.

Finished off Stir of Echoes by Matheson, I liked it well enough, but it didn't blow me away like Hell House had. Kind of oddly paced with a bit too much pseudoscience psychobabble. I did like the elements of insanity and self doubt peppered throughout.

Still reading Sub Rosa, and enjoying Aickman's prose. Also started up Clive Barker's Books of Blood, 3 stories into volume 1 and enjoying it.
                        A Stir of Echoes was my first Matheson, which I picked up after seeing the Kevin Bacon film and felt that the movie didn't quite hit its potential (not to mention, how can you have all those albums yet not recognize Paint It Black by The Stones), and I loved it. I agree that it is not up there with I Am Legend or Hell House, but I'll always have a sweet spot for it. There is a reason why it was my first lettered edition...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          A Stir of Echoes was my first Matheson, which I picked up after seeing the Kevin Bacon film and felt that the movie didn't quite hit its potential (not to mention, how can you have all those albums yet not recognize Paint It Black by The Stones), and I loved it. I agree that it is not up there with I Am Legend or Hell House, but I'll always have a sweet spot for it. There is a reason why it was my first lettered edition...
                          I am probably in the minority but I like A Stir of Echos better than I Am Legend. Have to admit I have not read Hell House, came close to picking it up recently.

Comment

Reading The City & The City by China Miéville. I picked up the signed Easton Press edition a few months ago.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Reading The City & The City by China Miéville. I picked up the signed Easton Press edition a few months ago.
                              I liked City and the City a lot, but Perdido and Scar are still my favorite Mieville books

Comment

I'll get around to those eventually.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X