Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you Reading this Holloween!

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I'm still looking forward to reading more Hill, but I probably won't be tackling The Fireman for a while. Still have his older works to read yet.

Finished off Stir of Echoes by Matheson, I liked it well enough, but it didn't blow me away like Hell House had. Kind of oddly paced with a bit too much pseudoscience psychobabble. I did like the elements of insanity and self doubt peppered throughout.

Still reading Sub Rosa, and enjoying Aickman's prose. Also started up Clive Barker's Books of Blood, 3 stories into volume 1 and enjoying it.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Finished The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Nobody can flay my nerves raw like Ketchum. I can't call TGND entertaining, but it was damned effective. Still thinking about my next read.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Sad to say, I did not like The Fireman. The idea that that book might be the last thing I ever read was too frightening to make me want to read anything new by Hill. I might read 20th Century Ghosts and Horns, but I'm otherwise done with him. But it did make me want to read The Stand again (the 1978 version) just to wash the bad memories away.

Moving on to The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.
    Want to get my hands on this! Saw the movie, and it was disturbing (in a good way!).

It was a well made movie, quite disturbing and moving.

I should ready more Ketchum at some point, so far I've only tackled his first novel Off Season. Which was good, but not great.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    The Girl Next Door is fantastic. Brutal, but amazing. Every horror fan should read it.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I'm still looking forward to reading more Hill, but I probably won't be tackling The Fireman for a while. Still have his older works to read yet.

Finished off Stir of Echoes by Matheson, I liked it well enough, but it didn't blow me away like Hell House had. Kind of oddly paced with a bit too much pseudoscience psychobabble. I did like the elements of insanity and self doubt peppered throughout.

Still reading Sub Rosa, and enjoying Aickman's prose. Also started up Clive Barker's Books of Blood, 3 stories into volume 1 and enjoying it.
    A Stir of Echoes was my first Matheson, which I picked up after seeing the Kevin Bacon film and felt that the movie didn't quite hit its potential (not to mention, how can you have all those albums yet not recognize Paint It Black by The Stones), and I loved it. I agree that it is not up there with I Am Legend or Hell House, but I'll always have a sweet spot for it. There is a reason why it was my first lettered edition...

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    A Stir of Echoes was my first Matheson, which I picked up after seeing the Kevin Bacon film and felt that the movie didn't quite hit its potential (not to mention, how can you have all those albums yet not recognize Paint It Black by The Stones), and I loved it. I agree that it is not up there with I Am Legend or Hell House, but I'll always have a sweet spot for it. There is a reason why it was my first lettered edition...
    I am probably in the minority but I like A Stir of Echos better than I Am Legend. Have to admit I have not read Hell House, came close to picking it up recently.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Reading The City & The City by China Miéville. I picked up the signed Easton Press edition a few months ago.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Reading The City & The City by China Miéville. I picked up the signed Easton Press edition a few months ago.
    I liked City and the City a lot, but Perdido and Scar are still my favorite Mieville books

I'll get around to those eventually.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I don't usually have a themed seasonal read (I can barely do the themed seasonal movies I always tell myself to do,) but this year I do have something for Halloween - and I think I got the idea from this board -

Yesterday, I received a card in the mail with a logo that said "Your 2016 Halloween Card Is Inside!" What is this?

It's a signed and numbered card from a Deena Warner with a creepy Halloween cover, along with a story on the inside.

So now I have a Halloween read.

(Other things currently reading - about 91% of the way done with The Wolf's Hour from McCammon, about a quarter of the way through the 6th volume of Kurt Busiek's wonder Astro City series, and I have to read a team building book for work (maybe that's the true horror novel!)

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I don't usually have a themed seasonal read (I can barely do the themed seasonal movies I always tell myself to do,) but this year I do have something for Halloween - and I think I got the idea from this board -

Yesterday, I received a card in the mail with a logo that said "Your 2016 Halloween Card Is Inside!" What is this?

It's a signed and numbered card from a Deena Warner with a creepy Halloween cover, along with a story on the inside.

So now I have a Halloween read.

(Other things currently reading - about 91% of the way done with The Wolf's Hour from McCammon, about a quarter of the way through the 6th volume of Kurt Busiek's wonder Astro City series, and I have to read a team building book for work (maybe that's the true horror novel!)
    I also received my Deena Warner card yesterday as well!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I also received my Deena Warner card yesterday as well!
    This will be a fun surprise every year. Glad I signed up!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    This will be a fun surprise every year. Glad I signed up!
    Received mine as well. Forgot all about it. Can't remember who turned me on to it but thanks!

I made my way through 4 horror (or horror-esque) books this October. Stir of Echoes, Ghost Story, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Books of Blood v. 1. I also peppered my readings with shorter selections from anthologies from Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James, Robert Aickman (still reading this one), and a few others.

Now I'm kind of ina limbo state, uncertain what to read next. Read a few more shorts from Ambrose Bierce in the interim.

No Deena Warner card yet

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I made my way through 4 horror (or horror-esque) books this October. Stir of Echoes, Ghost Story, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Books of Blood v. 1. I also peppered my readings with shorter selections from anthologies from Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James, Robert Aickman (still reading this one), and a few others.

Now I'm kind of ina limbo state, uncertain what to read next. Read a few more shorts from Ambrose Bierce in the interim.

No Deena Warner card yet
    Well, done! I just started Certain Dark Things Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Vampires in Mexico City......