Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading this Holloween!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar

What are you Reading this Holloween!

I've just started my seasonal reading of Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October. I wish someone would do a collector’s edition of this literary tick-or-treat! I have the Easton edition, but someone could do so much more with it. I'll follow this up with Dracula, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and whatever else tickles my Halloween fancy. Oh, how could I forget, Bradbury’s Homecoming, so many treats, will there be enough Halloween!

October10042016091959.jpg
    Last edited by mhatchett; 10-04-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I started up Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and Peter Straub's Ghost Story for my October reads.

Ironically, both Zelazny's and Laymon's last book published while they were alive had nearly identical titles. Word to the wise author do not have the words Lonesome, Night and October in the title of your next new novel.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I started up Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and Peter Straub's Ghost Story for my October reads.

Ironically, both Zelazny's and Laymon's last book published while they were alive had nearly identical titles. Word to the wise author do not have the words Lonesome, Night and October in the title of your next new novel.
    Those are some grat October reads! I started The Straw Men by Michael Marshall and will then move on to The Night Country by Stewart O'Nan
    Last edited by Martin; 10-05-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post

Ghost Story is just brilliant!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Been a slow reading year for me this year. I am finishing Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (PK Dick), and then hitting Las Vegas for 3 days starting Sunday. I will be bringing a book with me to read on the plane - not sure what yet. It's a 4hr flight for me (Detroit - LV). I'd like to get into something that will captivate me, creep me out, but for some reason that is hard to find! I do have Ghost Story - but that will take me a while to get through. I'll have to really scan my bookshelves to find something good and Halloween-y. Just not sure what.....yet.

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Yeah, you guys are reading some great stuff from the ones I recognize!

I just finished The Gods Themselves and loved it, so my next project might be The Foundation Trilogy. For October horror I'll probably go with A Mountain Walked.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Just read Night of the Pumpkin man and Dawn of the Pumpkin man by Jack Beaumont. Now reading Indian summer by Rick Hautala. Then Falling leaves by Kealan Patrick Burke . Then I will be reading The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss. After that we will see. Before the end of the month I will also be reading Four Halloweens.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I'm reading Barker's Books of Blood right now (I'm on Vols 4-6). I'll move on to The Averoigne Chronicles by Clark Ashton Smith after that.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

^ Love Smith, might get to that book soon too.

John, you're touching on some authors and books I am really interested in reading myself. When you're done your current reading any chance of a short write up on them?

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    Yeah, you guys are reading some great stuff from the ones I recognize!

I just finished The Gods Themselves and loved it, so my next project might be The Foundation Trilogy. For October horror I'll probably go with A Mountain Walked.
    I have a HC of this and started it, but couldn't get into it. Put it aside to restart at a later time.

I started Douglas Preston's The Codex on the plane during our short vacation to Las Vegas, so still picking away at that.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Read the new book from Chizmar and Freeman, Dark Whispers. Thoroughly enjoyed it! And still making my way through King's TBOBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Read the new book from Chizmar and Freeman, Dark Whispers. Thoroughly enjoyed it! And still making my way through King's TBOBD.
    Glad they hooked you up with an ARC. I am looking forward to that one, happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Glad they hooked you up with an ARC. I am looking forward to that one, happy to hear you enjoyed it.
    Thanks, Martin. I'm sure you will as well.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Started The Fireman by Joe Hill.
    Last edited by srboone; 10-20-2016 at 04:58 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Started The Fireman by Joe Hill.
    I am curious what your thoughts on it are. The reviews have been mixed but I loved it.

Polished off both Ghost Story and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Now reading Robert Aickman's Sub Rosa and Richard Matheson's Stir of Echoes.

Sad to say, I did not like The Fireman. The idea that that book might be the last thing I ever read was too frightening to make me want to read anything new by Hill. I might read 20th Century Ghosts and Horns, but I'm otherwise done with him. But it did make me want to read The Stand again (the 1978 version) just to wash the bad memories away.

Moving on to The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Sad to say, I did not like The Fireman. The idea that that book might be the last thing I ever read was too frightening to make me want to read anything new by Hill. I might read 20th Century Ghosts and Horns, but I'm otherwise done with him. But it did make me want to read The Stand again (the 1978 version) just to wash the bad memories away.

Moving on to The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.
    Interesting. This one seems to fall into two camps, those who love it and those who hate it. I have seen only a few opinions in the middle.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Count me in the camp of those who did not like THE FIREMAN -- and this from an ardent Joe Hill fan. I've loved everything he's done (though HORNS perhaps less so than his others), but THE FIREMAN was just not very good. I remain a bit shocked and puzzled, given my affection for his work leading up to this point and my excitement that it was to be a post-apocalyptic novel, but it is what it is. At least it saved me some $$ as I didn't have to dish out the big bucks for the PS signed/limited...frankly, not even sure I would have splurged on the signed/numbered Goldsboro UK HC edition (with aftermarket slipcase) if I would have simply read first the U.S. trade HC.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    .frankly, not even sure I would have splurged on the signed/numbered Goldsboro UK HC edition (with aftermarket slipcase) if I would have simply read first the U.S. trade HC.
    If you ever want to part with this, I'm listening.