Thread: Fantastic Fest 2016

Hybrid View

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar

Fantastic Fest 2016

Is anybody going to Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas this year? Or has attended in the past? This year will be my first time attending and I'm pretty excited. I love independent horror and weird cinema so this is completely up my alley. My wife, on the other hand, might have a rough go at it.

If anybody knows the area and has any suggestions for things to do in and around Austin, I'd love the input. We are doing the second half pass of the festival, but we'll be arriving a few days before to give us some time to explore.

So I'll take that as a no...

Lot's of interesting movies playing this year. If anybody is interesting in checking out the films here is a link to the list: http://fantasticfest.com/films This list includes all the short films playing as well.

I'm pretty excited about the 4k restoration of Phantasm and the new film by director Chan-Wook Park, The Handmaiden. Oldboy is a classic and I loved Stoker and Thirst, so anything new by Park is a must-see for me.
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 09-15-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Oldboy was really good. It's also got one of my favorite fight scenes from any movie.

Enjoy!
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Sounds very promising! I also really enjoyed Oldboy and Thirst, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was solid too.

It's been a while, but I remember not being a big fan of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I don't know if it was because my expectations were so high coming off Oldboy or if I was just not in the right headspace for it. I need to revisit it soon along with finally getting around to Lady Vengeance.

I have returned from Austin, Texas and the amazing Fantastic Fest! Over the four days that we spent at the festival, I was able to see 15 films including A Monster Calls and the new Anne Hathaway film, Colossal. It was so much fun, if somewhat grueling (five movies in one day is not as easy as it sounds). I truly can't say enough about the Alamo Drafthouse and the festival!

Beyond the films, one of the highlights is getting to see the Q&As with the directors and producers after the films, including one with Paul Schrader that was amazingly candid (At one point, he stated that he and Nicolas Cage wanted to work together again to remove the stain from their previous project and joked that Cage had so many stains at this point it wouldn't be possible). I also saw both Leonard Maltin and Bruce Campbell in the flesh and pretty close-up (we were maybe seven feet away from them), though I didn't attend the screening of a couple episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead or the subsequent interview of Campbell by Maltin.

A couple things I did miss out on was The Handmaiden, and the Secret Screening that turned out to be M. Night Shyamalan's new movie, Split and had both Shyamalan and James McAvoy present for the after-movie Q&A, which would have been cool to attend.

I plan on posting reviews for the movies I did see during the festival as there are some stunners. I was blown away by the just how high the quality was of the films shown. Out of the fifteen, there was only one I didn't like and only one that was rather mediocre. The other 13 were good, if not great, films.

Highly recommend it to any and everyone. I'm already in negotiations with the wife to attend for all eight days next year!
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 10-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.