Fantastic Fest 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic Fest Day IV:

My wife bounced back for the last day of the festival and we managed to see another three movies:

Starfish: is a post-apocalyptic story about a young woman dealing with the recent death of her friend. Locked in her recently deceased friend’s apartment, she discovers that her friend was involved with a group who were piecing together some of puzzle of the events that eventually led to the Lovecraftian creatures coming into our world.
    More a meditative look at love and loss than a horror film, Starfish does have a couple of tense moments. The cinematography is beautiful and the lead actress, Virginia Gardner, does a great job. I did find myself a little disconnected from the character’s grief at times due to lack of context; merely telling me that they were close friends was not enough to invest me in their relationship and wished that there had been more to anchor the emotions.

Overall, while the film didn’t set my world on fire, I enjoyed it enough to see what the director has up next. Grade: C+

Feral: I have a deep affinity for faux documentaries. When done properly, I think there is an interesting dynamic established with the audience about what is real and what isn’t. One of my favorites is Lake Mungo, a faux documentary about the drowning death of a teenage girl, the repercussions of her death amongst her family and possible supernatural incidents beginning to occur afterwards. It’s creepy and hits its emotional beats well. I now have a second favorite with Feral, though it supplants the supernatural thrills with religious obsession.

Set in the hills of Oaxaca, the film follows the attempts of a former priest to rehabilitate first one, then three wild children found in the forest. It is the ex-priest’s belief that the children can be taught how to be civilized, to fit in with society. And for a while it seems that he might be right, but then things begin to go awry.

Presented through interviews and coupled with footage that the priest had taken to the show the progress of the rehabilitation of the wild children, the movie slowly builds to its crescendo though never fully giving away all of its secrets. Not horrific in the traditional sense of the word, the movie is unsettling not in just its subdued thrills but also in the questions it asks about faith, society and human nature. Grade: B+

Hold The Dark: Director Jeremy Saulnier’s Green Room is one of my all-time favorites and when I heard that his new film would be playing at the festival prior to its release on Netflix, I knew I had to attend. While this indeed now playing on Netflix, the cinematography was amazing to see on the big screen.
    The plot revolves around a wolf expert, Russell Core, going to Alaska to help locate a missing child that the mother believes has been taken by wolves. When the child’s father returns home from the Iraq war (an amazing Alexander Skarsgard), events begin to spiral towards a violent and bloody end.

That above description is a very simplified synopsis of a film filled with complicated characters. Saulnier and screenwriter Macon Blair are not interested in holding the audiences’ hand when it comes to characters’ motivations. This is movie that demands your attention and pays it off in bloody fashion.

The cast is uniformly great, but I do have to give special kudos to Mr. James Badge Dale for his performance and pulling out a trifecta of great movie moments at the festival. I almost didn’t recognize him from the previous two films and his performance as a local cop who has recruited Russell Core to help him stop the spreading violence is fantastic, a performance that is understated and likeable in a film where the characters can be as cold and ruthless as the scenery that surrounds them.

Though not quite on par with Green Room, I thought this was another great film by Mr. Saulnier and look forward to what he has up his sleeve next. Grade: A-

Comment

Thanks for the in-depth reporting, Sock Monkey. I watched APOSTLE on Netflix last night, and really enjoyed it. I probably would have passed it right by if not for your review. My wife watched it with me, and called me a "Sick Bastard!" for enjoying it.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I watched HOLD THE DARK last night, and I was kind of perplexed by it. Maybe I missed something, but it all seemed like a pointless, drawn-out, pretentious series of events that had no meaning.
        I did enjoy seeing James Badge Dale, though. I remember seeing him in THE PACIFIC on HBO, and thinking that he was going to end up being a huge star.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          Thanks for the in-depth reporting, Sock Monkey. I watched APOSTLE on Netflix last night, and really enjoyed it. I probably would have passed it right by if not for your review. My wife watched it with me, and called me a "Sick Bastard!" for enjoying it.
          I'm glad you enjoyed APOSTLE. Surprisingly, my wife really enjoyed this one as well and it is not her typical cup of tea. My mother-in-law watched it and was texting us in the middle asking us if it gets worse. Not even a minute later, she sends another one saying, "Yeah it does!"

I watched HOLD THE DARK last night, and I was kind of perplexed by it. Maybe I missed something, but it all seemed like a pointless, drawn-out, pretentious series of events that had no meaning.
          I did enjoy seeing James Badge Dale, though. I remember seeing him in THE PACIFIC on HBO, and thinking that he was going to end up being a huge star.
          I can see your viewpoint on HOLD THE DARK. This has become a pretty divisive film among viewers. I agree about Badge Dale. I wasn't familiar with him prior to this year's Fantastic Fest, but after seeing the three films he was in, I will be seeking out more of his work.

Comment

If you haven't seen THE PACIFIC, you should check that out. Why this guy isn't a household name is a mystery......
            He was also in IRON MAN 3, but his role was nothing to write home about.

Comment

If you haven't seen THE PACIFIC, you should check that out. Why this guy isn't a household name is a mystery......
              He was also in IRON MAN 3, but his role was nothing to write home about.
              I've been meaning to catch THE PACIFIC for years and keep putting it off. Maybe this will give me the push to finally get around to it.

Comment

Very interesting thread. I don't see too many films nowadays, but because of the Internet, I tend to enjoy reading about films, their concepts/spoilers. So, with that in mind, knowing I probably won't track down School's Out, and not seeing an entry for that project at Wikipedia, would you mind revealing the ending and what it was all about? I've read some reviews, and am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                  Very interesting thread. I don't see too many films nowadays, but because of the Internet, I tend to enjoy reading about films, their concepts/spoilers. So, with that in mind, knowing I probably won't track down School's Out, and not seeing an entry for that project at Wikipedia, would you mind revealing the ending and what it was all about? I've read some reviews, and am curious.
                  Sure! I'll throw it in some spoiler tags in case others don't to stumble across information:

Spoiler!

Comment

It is that time of year again!!!

In about four weeks, I'll be headed back to Austin, Texas to assault my eyes and brain with more Fantastic Fest goodness.

ff_2019_poster__full.jpg

This will be my third time attending and like both of the times prior the wife and I will be doing the second half of the festival. Though I'd like to do the full eight days (and was supposed to in 2017 until life got in the way), the price gets up there for tickets and accommodations. And it truly is a grueling process. I'm looking to try to get 16 movies in over four days. It's super fun, but tiring.

They have announced two waves of titles so far with at least a third on the way along with the short film and various activities announcement. Here a links to the two announcements and one for the all the films so far if anyone is interested in checking it out:

http://fantasticfest.com/news/entry/...t-wave-is-here
                    http://fantasticfest.com/news/entry/...st-second-wave
                    http://fantasticfest.com/films/features

Movies that I'm pretty excited for:
                    1. Colour Out of Space from Richard Stanley, starring Nick Cage

2. Fractured from director Brad Anderson (I love The Machinist and Session 9, so I'm happy for a new film)

3. In the Shadow of the Moon from director Jim Mickle (Seriously, you haven't seen Cold In July yet...)

4. In the Tall Grass, adapted from the King/Hill collaboration

5. Synchronic from directors Benson and Moorehead (Resolution, Spring, and The Endless)

And that's just trying to keep the list short...

Opening night film is JoJo Rabbit and closing night film is Knives Out, which both look fantastic as well.

Comment

One of these years, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and join you for this. It's literally right down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                        One of these years, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and join you for this. It's literally right down the road.
                        Oh, man...if it's close then you absolutely have to do it one of these years. It's a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          It is that time of year again!!!

In about four weeks, I'll be headed back to Austin, Texas to assault my eyes and brain with more Fantastic Fest goodness.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21652[/ATTACH]

This will be my third time attending and like both of the times prior the wife and I will be doing the second half of the festival. Though I'd like to do the full eight days (and was supposed to in 2017 until life got in the way), the price gets up there for tickets and accommodations. And it truly is a grueling process. I'm looking to try to get 16 movies in over four days. It's super fun, but tiring.

They have announced two waves of titles so far with at least a third on the way along with the short film and various activities announcement. Here a links to the two announcements and one for the all the films so far if anyone is interested in checking it out:

http://fantasticfest.com/news/entry/...t-wave-is-here
                          http://fantasticfest.com/news/entry/...st-second-wave
                          http://fantasticfest.com/films/features

Movies that I'm pretty excited for:
                          1. Colour Out of Space from Richard Stanley, starring Nick Cage

2. Fractured from director Brad Anderson (I love The Machinist and Session 9, so I'm happy for a new film)

3. In the Shadow of the Moon from director Jim Mickle (Seriously, you haven't seen Cold In July yet...)

4. In the Tall Grass, adapted from the King/Hill collaboration

5. Synchronic from directors Benson and Moorehead (Resolution, Spring, and The Endless)

And that's just trying to keep the list short...

Opening night film is JoJo Rabbit and closing night film is Knives Out, which both look fantastic as well.
                          Have fun!

Comment

Socky ! I am so jealous but taking The Wife to Austin ? So there goes boffing a UT gal. Hook em !
                            Also, I was shocked to hear you thoughts on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance . That is my favorite film from that director.
                            But man, the new Benson/Moorehead ? Sa-WEET ! and I have seen a lot of the films now but the main one I wanted to see
                            was Synchronic the new Anderson plus the Mickle film.
                            I lived in Texas for years. Wish I still did. I'd just pack a cooler, hit the road, tell my boss to fuck himself end up in Austin in a beery haze sitting on the grass watching all the bats...

Comment

Originally posted by tyree View Post
                              Socky ! I am so jealous but taking The Wife to Austin ? So there goes boffing a UT gal. Hook em !
                              Also, I was shocked to hear you thoughts on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance . That is my favorite film from that director.
                              But man, the new Benson/Moorehead ? Sa-WEET ! and I have seen a lot of the films now but the main one I wanted to see
                              was Synchronic the new Anderson plus the Mickle film.
                              I lived in Texas for years. Wish I still did. I'd just pack a cooler, hit the road, tell my boss to fuck himself end up in Austin in a beery haze sitting on the grass watching all the bats...
                              I probably need to revisit Sympathy, but it didn't quite hit me the same way his other films have. I think my expectations might have been too high. The Benson/Moorehead, Mickle, and Anderson films are all at the top of my list to see, but to tell you the truth it's always the ones you just take a chance on cause your filling a slot that knock it out of the park.

Oh, the bats! Man, the bats rock!

Comment

Heh.
                                Dude, you mentioned the mind-altering Fasionista. Fuck man I saw that one only because the director
                                helmed a perfect film, Red, White and Blue. Seen it ? If not find, beg steal, whore yourself set a bum on fire for a DVD I do not care. Plus, has the same smokin' hot actress as the town tramp. Big leap. Set in...AUSTIN ! that is right buckaroo.

And ANOTHer dadgum thing. Hold you horses.
                                Quote:
                                (At one point, he stated that he and Nicolas Cage wanted to work together again to remove the stain from their previous project and joked that Cage had so many stains at this point it wouldn't be possible).

Fuck.
                                That.
                                I have read Larry Brown's JOE twice and seen the Cage adaptation three or four fucking times. If anyone does not find Cage, the father of the tough as nails boy Joe takes under his wing great actors, the father should have one an Oscar-- all excellent, well sorry, they have majorly shitty taste in films. Father: was evil personified and played the part so good it hurt. I have BIG BAD LOVE on DVD. Five times viewed.
                                Why ? Source material: Larry Brown, RIP, thanks for drinking yourself to death you wonderful, elegant man. Say HI ! to Kerouac for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X