I found some comic books and pulps today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found some comic books and pulps today

I wasn't sure in which area of the forums I should post about this. Today I stumbled across 5-6 boxes of comic books and pulps at a store. I was too tired and anxious to get home so I only took a quick glance. I don't buy pulps myself-I was curious if anyone here is into collecting pulps. In another area of the store I found the complete 4-issue Beauty and the Beast (Dazzler, Beast) from Marvel Comics so I purchased those comics. I hope I get two days off next week so I can go back and spend 2-3 hours looking at all of those comic books.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Very nice. I don't collect pulps myself, but I always see them and am sorely tempted to start, haha.
    Last edited by Theli; 08-26-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

What does one do with pulps? Just display your purchase somewhere? By their very nature, the originals are unreadable. I got one pulp themed book, from Lulu I think, that was very enjoyable and nicely done. I know I have one pulp replica book I haven't read.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
        What does one do with pulps? Just display your purchase somewhere? By their very nature, the originals are unreadable. I got one pulp themed book, from Lulu I think, that was very enjoyable and nicely done. I know I have one pulp replica book I haven't read.

Cap
        What does one do? Read and enjoy them.

Some certainly have value, but as always it has to do with content (i.e. the weird menace pulps are hot, the romance pulps are not), supply and demand, and condition. If yours are "unreadable" -- i.e. in poor condition -- then that pretty much shoots down the whole value thing...so I would just read 'em and enjoy 'em. When done, you can see if your local used bookstore wants them, and if not either donate to charity (e.g. Goodwill) or maybe to a old folks' retirement home.

I don't collect the original pulps myself, but have several dozen modern pulp-reprint collections and anthologies...makes for fun reading.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have several mystery pulp magazines from the 30's. I picked them up mainly because they had some Raymond Chandler stories in them. They are in excellent condition. I carefully read them and than sleeved them in plastic bags with cardboard backing, never to be opened again in my life time...well, maybe just a pick or two lol!!

Comment

My favourite local used book shop has a large selection of the old sci-fi stuff from back in the '50s and '60s - off the top of my head, can't remember the names of them. Never bothered to really flip through them, but maybe next time I stop in there I will.

Comment

Working...
            X