Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: appraising early CD titles

Junior Member Lurker

Cool appraising early CD titles

I was glad to discover this forum..........unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have much traffic.........I have a few early CD titles (and other publishers); and I was wondering if there was a 'wanted' list by folks looking for books other than this one. I need to know what titles are worth without actually putting them up for sale...........

thanks, larry t

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Hi Larry. Nope this is the only place. You're probably gonna have a hard time finding what you're looking for anywhere. Your best bet would be to search Ebay's history / ABE Books for the titles you're looking for.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    ebay's list of sold items is the best way to gauge a value, provided a copy (or copies) have sold in the last month. Active listings (unless there are bids) and books for sale on ABE should be taken with a grain of salt as a seller can ask whatever he or she wants for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    ebay's list of sold items is the best way to gauge a value, provided a copy (or copies) have sold in the last month. Active listings (unless there are bids) and books for sale on ABE should be taken with a grain of salt as a seller can ask whatever he or she wants for a book.
    Correct with ABE, if using ABE use a price from the middle of the pack.

Instagram

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Not much traffic, what the *&^%$#!@* LOL!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    With a few exceptions, CD titles do not typically increase in value nor, often, maintain value, though this small-press issue is certainly not limited to just CD and the market seems to continue to soften. If the author's last name is not King and you do not want to hassle with eBay and ABE (and, as suggested, taking the mid-pack/average price), you're probably safe looking at the inside dj flap price, reducing it by 1/3, and making that your fair-market value. If eBay is any gauge, some titles might be better assigned a 50% reduction or less, but generally speaking a 1/3 decrease in value is a normative guideline.

There are exceptions of CD titles with more stable value or increases in value, but they are few, unfortunately. If you want to provide a list, we can tell you if your collection contains any of these exceptions. Most of us are also versed in other publishers' releases, so can give you feedback on those as well if any of them stand out as exceptional values.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 06-10-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larry torre View Post
    I was glad to discover this forum..........unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have much traffic.........I have a few early CD titles (and other publishers); and I was wondering if there was a 'wanted' list by folks looking for books other than this one. I need to know what titles are worth without actually putting them up for sale...........thanks, larry t
    If you have any #81s from the Novella Series, I'd be extremely interested. I'll 2nd Ron's advise as well.

Edit: And welcome to the forum, btw!
    Last edited by Brian861; 06-10-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Not much traffic, what the *&^%$#!@* LOL!
    Behave, Mike LOL!!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Behave, Mike LOL!!

Spoiler!
    He's not wrong. Compared to most forums of similar nature we have fairly low traffic.

Instagram

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    He's not wrong. Compared to most forums of similar nature we have fairly low traffic.
    Yeah, but that's all gonna change once I grow a goatee.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed ruderabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    With a few exceptions, CD titles do not typically increase in value nor, often, maintain value, though this small-press issue is certainly not limited to just CD and the market seems to continue to soften. If the author's last name is not King and you do not want to hassle with eBay and ABE (and, as suggested, taking the mid-pack/average price), you're probably safe looking at the inside dj flap price, reducing it by 1/3, and making that your fair-market value. If eBay is any gauge, some titles might be better assigned a 50% reduction or less, but generally speaking a 1/3 decrease in value is a normative guideline.

There are exceptions of CD titles with more stable value or increases in value, but they are few, unfortunately. If you want to provide a list, we can tell you if your collection contains any of these exceptions. Most of us are also versed in other publishers' releases, so can give you feedback on those as well if any of them stand out as exceptional values.
    Hi Larry,

Yep, thats pretty accurate.

I'm sure a few of us would be happy to look at a list of the books you are trying to put a value on, and offer our opinions. Then you could probably get a middle of the road valuation.

I've been buying and selling small press horror for about fifteen years.

Good to see you here.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    Yeah, but that's all gonna change once I grow a goatee.
    LOL, Andrew. Dan, I guess it really is just us same old folks posting most of the time. Good point.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed ruderabbit's Avatar
    LOL, Andrew. Dan, I guess it really is just us same old folks posting most of the time. Good point.
    I've been participating quite a bit more recently...and who the heck are you callin old dammit!! (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ruderabbit View Post
    I've been participating quite a bit more recently...and who the heck are you callin old dammit!! (lol)
    "ole" LOL. Still all shining and new myself. Couple months out yet from my anniversary

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    As others have said it really depends on the author and book. I do think the value of some of CD's more recent releases and the general collecting market has begun to stabilize though.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    "ole" LOL. Still all shining and new myself. Couple months out yet from my anniversary
    I am definitely old! This is a quiet little corner of the web. I prefer it over the busy boards. Whether it is a result of a smaller number of regular contributors or that management of the board by Dan and Brian, I find the discourse here more positive than on other boards. I also find that the post count varies greatly, at times very little is being posted and at times we get hopping.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    As a moderator of another forum of similar interests and discussion, it's become progressively clear over the last few years that forums have lost serious ground and participation to other, newer bite-sized social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc. i still don't understand the appeal of these over forums, where one can really carry on a topic conversation in depth...but it is what it is. For me, I just plan to stay with forums as long as they stick around...guess we'll gray out together.

Senior Member Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Ron - I absolutely agree. I miss some of the old forums that I frequented "back in the day."

I still occasionally use my LiveJournal and posted a pretty lengthy account of a convention I went to for my girlfriend and loved the feedback that I got on it. Didn't get anything like it from Facebook or even the few other people I shared it with.

I don't frequent too many forums anymore - but I think this might be my favorite. The volume is posts is VERY manageable and we lack the jerks and negativity. (Excluding me saying that Easton Press books are ugly, but you have to have one of those everywhere.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    As a moderator of another forum of similar interests and discussion, it's become progressively clear over the last few years that forums have lost serious ground and participation to other, newer bite-sized social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc. i still don't understand the appeal of these over forums, where one can really carry on a topic conversation in depth...but it is what it is. For me, I just plan to stay with forums as long as they stick around...guess we'll gray out together.
    You nailed it with "where one can really carry on a topic conversation in depth". Facebook to me is a reflection of the texting and soundbite society we live in. I find that when I direct people to well written articles about things they are interested in they often will not read it because it is to "wordy". They want to know about the topic but want to learn about is soundbites. My wife really wants me to participate in Facebook and the more she shows me the less I want anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am definitely old! This is a quiet little corner of the web. I prefer it over the busy boards. Whether it is a result of a smaller number of regular contributors or that management of the board by Dan and Brian, I find the discourse here more positive than on other boards. I also find that the post count varies greatly, at times very little is being posted and at times we get hopping.
    I'd agree, Martin about our little corner of the web here. It definitely feels a lot closer knit. (I'm only a member of one other forum and that's plenty for me). We have our core little group that pretty must post everyday or (like myself) replies to others post pretty much everyday. Can't say I'm much of a contributor; have let to gain all the knowledge of the medium that most of you guys have. I also feel we can razz each other here a little more without getting feels hurt or others taking offense. Can't really do that as easily with a bigger group I don't think. While I'm a member of Facebook; I hardly ever use it anymore. Probably lots more I'm missing about the books and authors I'm interested in. Just too many folks spewing too much crap. Reckon I'm getting old myself lol. "You darn kids with your technology"!!