Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for those who have not picked up Carrie, but did buy 'Salem's and Shining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for those who have not picked up Carrie, but did buy 'Salem's and Shining

Just a thought for those who might have picked up the gift editions of 'Salem's Lot and The Shining but have passed on Carrie....yes, Carrie is not as good of a novel as 'Salem's or Shining, but 1) it is still a very good book. 2) The CD gift edition is gorgeous 3) The gift edition of Carrie will sell out at some point and most importantly 4) You will eventually kick yourself in the butt for not having the COMPLETE Double Day series gift editions because you missed Carrie.

Take it from Uncle Brad (you may only call me that for this post buy it will you can get it!!

Since I am one of these people, I thought I'd share another perspective on this. I totally get that many people do, indeed, enjoy this story. I'm just not one of 'em. I also get being a completist with sets, especially regarding Stephen King. I agree with everyone about the artwork, it is great. But I don't buy books, or sets, in the hope they are going to make me rich someday (I've got fewer "somedays" ahead of me than I have already used up). So, while the price is reasonable, it is still a good chunk of change and I would rather it go towards a novel I am more passionate about.

I will be content with the remaining volumes in this set, all of which I enjoy very much. I will leave Carrie for someone who will enjoy owning it more than I would. I do agree, though, that anyone who is on the fence about this book should grab it while they still can.

Comment

Another perspective: I just want a nice edition of each of the early King books. As chance would have it, I picked up the PS Pub. edition of CARRIE and the Sub Press edition of THE SHINING because they appeared first. So while I will not have a matched Doubleday set from CD, I will have a nice copy of each of those early books.

That said, I am thinking about trading someone who has the CD edition of CARRIE for my PS Pub. edition, as I suspect the difference in size will begin to bother me at some point (the Sub Press edition of THE SHINING is also oversized, so matches the CD editions) and I'm not a fan of Chadbourne's art. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to pull the trigger on such a trade or not, though...kinda nice to have a 974-count CARRIE that is more limited in number than the 3000-count CD edition, even though neither yet appears to be setting the aftermarket on fire.
      Last edited by RonClinton; 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I do need to make a note just so everyone is clear about the numbered and lettered editions of these books. If you pass on a title, you are essentially giving up your number, and may not be able to match your set or even get an opportunity to purchase the next book in the series (though that's unlikely). How the matching numbers work is that who ever got the number for the most recent book in the series gets first dibs on that number for the next book in the series. It's something to keep in mind for those that are ordering the numbered / lettered editions.

It's something I've run into with PS Publishing's editions and the Little Book series from Borderlands, and something we will probably run into with The Shining.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Dan, I thought that I had read somewhere that numbers and letters were automatically being matched for the Doubleday books (obviously if one is purchasing all books). Is that still correct? Or am I mistaken? It's possible I misread something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            Dan, I thought that I had read somewhere that numbers and letters were automatically being matched for the Doubleday books (obviously if one is purchasing all books). Is that still correct? Or am I mistaken? It's possible I misread something.
            They are. They are just being matched to the previous book in the series. So if you skip a book you are essentially forfeiting your number. So for example if you got #20 for Carrie, but didn't order Salem's Lot and I got #20 for Salem's Lot, then I would get number #20 for The Shining, and you would get a different number.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I passed on the GE of Carrie at first, but after buying the GE of 'Salem's Lot, I decided I might as well have the full set of both GEs and AEs.

I also realized that I've been buying the GE and AE of the CD and Sub Press King books for a while now, so I might as well continue. I just checked Sub Press, and they have 27 copies of The Shining in stock, so that one won't be around for much longer, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                Nothing again anyone but I personally don't leave the automatic thing to chance. I still follow up with Mindy with each purchase confirmation stating to please match my number with the previous books in the series. That way, if there is an issue, it's documented. CYA, my friends .

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                  I passed on the GE of Carrie at first, but after buying the GE of 'Salem's Lot, I decided I might as well have the full set of both GEs and AEs.

I also realized that I've been buying the GE and AE of the CD and Sub Press King books for a while now, so I might as well continue. I just checked Sub Press, and they have 27 copies of The Shining in stock, so that one won't be around for much longer, I'd say.
                  I gave up my GEs for the AEs. I personally didn't see the need in owning both editions. Still though, I can appreciate what you're doing since you have an established thread with your collecting of the books. And it is pretty cool to see members collections with all the various editions out there. I'm doing the PS anniversary thing though just for the simple fact that they are numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    I gave up my GEs for the AEs. I personally didn't see the need in owning both editions. Still though, I can appreciate what you're doing since you have an established thread with your collecting of the books. And it is pretty cool to see members collections with all the various editions out there. I'm doing the PS anniversary thing though just for the simple fact that they are numbered.
                    I'm doing GE, AE, and PS editions. What a silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ruderabbit View Post
                      I'm doing GE, AE, and PS editions. What a silly.
                      Me too. And the Folio Society edition The Shining. It never ends!

Comment

Working...
                      X