General question for collectors re: newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General question for collectors re: newspapers

Wasn't sure where to post this but this looks appropriate (I think).

Basically, here is the scoop.... I have a decent collection of old newspapers that were being collected by my grandmother and they sat around, and I now have them in my possession. They are local newspapers (either full edition, or at least full sections) that date to the end of WWII. Basically stuff like the Allies win, etc. Anybody know if these are worth anything, or worth holding onto at all? I have read that there are quite a few old newspaper ads that can be worth at least something. I didn't know if I should hang onto these? Take them to some kind of shop/pawnshop/used book store?

I would never take them to a pawn shop or used bookstore. You'd never get your money's worth.
    Then again, I have no idea where you would get the price these newspapers deserve.
    eBay maybe?? Or some other on-line auction place??

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 04-09-2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
      I would never take them to a pawn shop or used bookstore. You'd never get your money's worth.
      Then again, I have no idea where you would get the price these newspapers deserve.
      eBay maybe?? Or some other on-lone auction place??

sk

I know in Chicago, near my old office, there was a bookstore that focused mostly on history. Maybe you can look around for more of a "specialty" place like that. I would expect there are plenty of history buffs that would be interested.

Comment

The one local used book shop in my city might be able to tell me more.

frik51: I agree, I do think there is value, in at least being like a time capsule. They are in great condition too.

The one thing I think that is going against me is probably the fact that The Windsor Star (or whatever it was called back then - I haven't looked at them in a while) certainly isn't the New York Times or Chicago Tribune type notoriety.

Comment

Newspapers have no collector or library value; they're interesting, yes, but interesting doesn't always translate to value. They had little to no value when everything was microfiched, and now it's just no value with worldwide digital access. The only exception I've ever heard of is the Dewey Defeats Truman paper and the Kennedy assassination, but even those are marginal at best and hardly worth the effort to try and find someone to buy 'em. I'm no expert, but I can act like one after watching far too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow, Pawn Stars, and Storage Wars. That said, I've also heard the same thing from several bookdealers over the years, so there must be some validity to it.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

True Ron - I was kind of thinking along those lines. I know I had heard somewhere that some of the ads may have value, but I don't have the time to sit and skim through them. I think they might make nice bonfire starters or packing material in the end.

Comment

The funny pages can have some value, sundays color ones more so. However still not a gold mine.
              If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

I would think most newspaper would be worth where they happened. But that is just a guess. I have 2 chicaco newspapers of the 66 Blizzard and the 79 blizzard also have Memphis papers of when Elvis died my dad was a big fan. Just my guess butt propably only worth local. Any other ideas id love to here from you MIKE

Comment

Working...
                X