Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FIREMAN by Joe Hill:

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I don't know if there are any differences, but I had the ARC and purposely didn't read it, just in case.
    Almost certainly just formatting. By the time the ARC's are made the story is done and the only changes made at that point are typically formatting / spelling corrections. Most of the time even those aren't made given how close the arc's are typically printed / sent out to the publication date.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Almost certainly just formatting. By the time the ARC's are made the story is done and the only changes made at that point are typically formatting / spelling corrections. Most of the time even those aren't made given how close the arc's are typically printed / sent out to the publication date.
    That is my assumption. Also noticed the novel contains credits with a little Easter egg and an afterword that are not included in the ARC.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    The only error that jumped out at me was the incorrect use of a Dodge Challenger as a police cruiser (page 394 or so). It should have been a Dodge Charger, of course.
    There are Challenger police cruisers. Not many, but some, at least in the Charlotte, NC, area (and others, if Google is any indication).

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    There are Challenger police cruisers. Not many, but some, at least in the Charlotte, NC, area (and others, if Google is any indication).
    Hmm, well, in the book they had a mesh grill separating the front and back seats. They also had someone open the back door, and there are no back doors on the Challenger.

I had to look that up I do see Challenger cruisers. I wonder if they just use them as pursuit/traffic vehicles? Interesting. All the new cruisers around here are Chargers.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Well, after reading all these Challenger posts; this book is clearly one of fiction! Demand your money back peoples!

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    Went to the signing in Phoenix tonight. Hill puts on a great signing.

The Fireman will debut on the New York Times best seller list at #1! Mr. Hill's first #1 book.

Spent the afternoon at Powell's for Mr. Hills reading. Alas no Kazoo for me but I did get some nice signatures.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Spent the afternoon at Powell's for Mr. Hills reading. Alas no Kazoo for me but I did get some nice signatures.
    After the aborted attempt on Friday that I mentioned in another thread, I ended up not making a second attempt to drive down there on Saturday morning. It's the first Joe-Hill signing in our area that I have missed, which I do regret, but I will catch him next time around. Glad you had a great time… Saw a picture of the Powells signing, and it looked like a very healthy turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    After the aborted attempt on Friday that I mentioned in another thread, I ended up not making a second attempt to drive down there on Saturday morning. It's the first Joe-Hill signing in our area that I have missed, which I do regret, but I will catch him next time around. Glad you had a great time… Saw a picture of the Powells signing, and it looked like a very healthy turnout.
    Based on the turnout I have to think it will be the last in store appearance for Joe. Shortly before Joe arrived they announced that if someone needed to use the restroom they should go then because the room was approaching capacity and they may have to stop letting people in. I did not take any pictures of the event but will try to get pictures of the items I got signed posted to my collection thread tomorrow. Here is a preview:

P1340816.jpg

Sorry you missed it Ron, it was a fun event.

Based on the turnout I have to think it will be the last in store appearance for Joe. Shortly before Joe arrived they announced that if someone needed to use the restroom they should go then because the room was approaching capacity and they may have to stop letting people in. I did not take any pictures of the event but will try to get pictures of the items I got signed posted to my collection thread tomorrow. Here is a preview:

P1340816.jpg

Very cool, Martin. Congrats!

Jealous on that mug, Martin -- I shoulda snagged one of those when they were offered. And now signed -- nice!

Nah, I suspect he'll still tour...he's too much a showman and seems to demonstrably enjoy interacting w/ his readers. He may, though, have to look at holding them at bigger venues or something of that sort. Either way, I'm disappointed I didn't get to see him this time around...that showmanship makes for a great time.

I did not take any pictures of the event
    Here's one:

3339116f-fe9d-43a5-8c71-73448beb55a5_zpsykxauqpx.png

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Jealous on that mug, Martin -- I shoulda snagged one of those when they were offered. And now signed -- nice!

Nah, I suspect he'll still tour...he's too much a showman and seems to demonstrably enjoy interacting w/ his readers. He may, though, have to look at holding them at bigger venues or something of that sort. Either way, I'm disappointed I didn't get to see him this time around...that showmanship makes for a great time.
    I think he will still tour. I was saying it will probably be the last in store one. I am guessing he will be someplace like the Baghdad theater next time.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Personally, after having read about 150 pages I'm not too impressed yet (seem to be the only one...), but still, this is one for the collection:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the...letitleJoeHill

sk

Thanks for the link, Siep. I have yet to dive into it but those red page edges are freakin' cool!

Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Personally, after having read about 150 pages I'm not too impressed yet (seem to be the only one...), but still, this is one for the collection:

sk
    Get it from Goldboro instead...same book, same red-stained page edges, etc....but it's numbered (of 350).

Goldsboro will also package it such that, if the bombs fall while it's en route, you can die safe in the knowledge that, unlike you, your book will not succumb to nuclear fire.

Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post

sk
    Seip, I am sorry you are not enjoying the story. I loved it from the introduction. I am sticking with just the Goldsboro edition. I would order the trade if a US customer could also get the T-Shirt.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I don't see anything about a s/l on PS publishing's page. Anyone have any info on this?