Undisclosed Writing Found In Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undisclosed Writing Found In Books

What's your guys opinions on this? This irritates me to no end and I won't bid on or buy a book that I know has any writing in it that shouldn't be there for collecting purposes. Am I just making too big of a deal out of this? Here's the response I got back recently in regards to this matter from a seller:

That appears to be a bookseller's penciled price. If you're familiar with used/rare booksellers, you'll know that most of them pencil in prices on the top right corner of the font free endpaper, exactly where it appears on your copy. Very frequently, the buyer will gently erase this price. This is a very, very common practice and these erased prices on the corners of the FFEP are typically not considered flaws, and most book collectors tolerate them. If I noticed this on your copy of Christine and didn't mention it in the description, it is probably because this practice is SO common and so widely accepted that I didn't consider it to be a flaw. If you've never encountered this before, I'm sure you will again in the future!

Thanks!

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    What's your guys opinions on this? This irritates me to no end and I won't bid on or buy a book that I know has any writing in it that shouldn't be there for collecting purposes. Am I just making too big of a deal out of this? Here's the response I got back recently in regards to this matter from a seller:

That appears to be a bookseller's penciled price. If you're familiar with used/rare booksellers, you'll know that most of them pencil in prices on the top right corner of the font free endpaper, exactly where it appears on your copy. Very frequently, the buyer will gently erase this price. This is a very, very common practice and these erased prices on the corners of the FFEP are typically not considered flaws, and most book collectors tolerate them. If I noticed this on your copy of Christine and didn't mention it in the description, it is probably because this practice is SO common and so widely accepted that I didn't consider it to be a flaw. If you've never encountered this before, I'm sure you will again in the future!

Thanks!
    Well he's not wrong, but it is your right to be upset by it and return it. Assuming you bought it through eBay or just using paypal, the customer is pretty much almost always right when using those services. Mostly though I just think it's about how much that it really matters to you as an individual. I collect somethings, but I'm not really collecting for value so it's different, which is why I don't particularly care if the books are in perfect condition.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I've found that a penciled-in price can pretty well be erased using a soft eraser without leaving any marks whatsoever.

John'

Comment

In my opinion and only my opinion, you're probably making too bad a deal over a price written in a book. But, it's not my money, it yours, so have at it lol!
        Mike

Comment

Thanks, guys. I guess it's just my knee jerk reaction when I'm examining a new purchase of an older book without all the details being disclosed. Reckon I oughta lighten up a tad. Like Dan states above; I'm not collecting for resale, just my own personal collection.

Comment

I get kind of vaguely irritated when a penciled-in price isn't disclosed, but as has been pointed out, it's a complete non-issue from a collecting standpoint and stems more from wanting to know all the details before a purchase. I haven't yet encountered a situation like this where knowing about the pencil writing beforehand would have dissuaded me from going ahead with the purchase.

Comment

For me, I don't collect for value/resale in most cases, just to have. A used book store I frequent locally pencils in prices as noted in the above post. Although for the rare and more valuable books he has, he puts them in a clear plastic bag (I guess you could call it) and puts the price on that.

Comment

I don't mind light penciling, stickers, tape and the worst, "Marker" are different stories. But in the end, if the conditon and price work, I'll over look a blemish or two.

Comment

I realize now that I was making a mountain out of a molehill (which I tend to do regularly unfortunately) so I really appreciate all the feedback as always. I followed John's advise and gently erased the penciled writing to great satisfaction. Here's a few shots of before and after:

Christine Written-Erased 11-01-15.jpgChristine After Eraser.jpg
                  The Long Walk Written In 11-01-15.jpgThe Long Walk After Eraser.jpg

Comment

John

Comment

Does it leave any permanent marks on the book? No, not really, hardly ever in fact.

Do I still hate it? Yes!

I don't blame you Brian for being a bit irked about it. Sure its common and even though I only collect for myself and not for resale, I still cringe when I see it.

Comment

Appreciate the understanding, Pete

Comment

Working...
                        X