Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving books with or without slipcases in the publishers shrink-wrap. Do or Don't??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining is a good movie when taken as a stand alone story. It is when you compare it to the source material that it falls short. I am unsure if the story could have been told better in movie form. I certainly like Kubrick's version better than the miniseries even though the miniseries stayed more true to the novel. The same could be said for Peter Straub's Ghost Story. Good movie, great book!.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      In my opinion Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining is a good movie when taken as a stand alone story. It is when you compare it to the source material that it falls short. I am unsure if the story could have been told better in movie form. I certainly like Kubrick's version better than the miniseries even though the miniseries stayed more true to the novel. The same could be said for Peter Straub's Ghost Story. Good movie, great book!.
      Good points Martin. I didn't care for the miniseries either and there is no winning for the filmmaker with any diehard King fan. Unfortunately, film and tv is the only exposure some get of King and that's a crying shame. But on the same hand, I don't care for all of his novel's either so..........

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        Good points Martin. I didn't care for the miniseries either and there is no winning for the filmmaker with any diehard King fan. Unfortunately, film and tv is the only exposure some get of King and that's a crying shame. But on the same hand, I don't care for all of his novel's either so..........
        I will take watching Kubrick's The Shining over reading Rose Madder again any day!

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          I protect with Brodart all books that are not traycased or slipcased. Slipcased is debatable, and I wonder if the spine might fade comparatively to the front and back over time even in low light conditions. But it's likely not always feasible to protect a slipcased book due to fit and the additional bulk of the plastic.

Without slipcases or traycases I'd 100% recommend protecting with an archival cover. It's not only protection from time and light you're getting, but also enhanced durability in handling. When you've got a non-reading buddy over admiring your collection, hand him a Brodart protected book you love and a non-protected one and see which one makes you nervous.
          The phrase, "You can look but don't touch" comes to mind . I plan on slipcasing all my collectables for those not included with the purchase. Traycases would have to be a step above that I'd think. I've read of that issue as well with the Brodart not wanting to fit back into the slipcase. I currently don't own any traycased volumes so not sure if that would allow for a better fit with the Brodart or not. I'm sure someone here would know no doubt.
          My apologies Brad and Martin for being so dismissive on the subject of Brodart. I was reading the foreword and afterword of the PS editions I received today and I was quite nervous myself handling them with the utmost care. And ya can't show 'em off very well always hidden in the slipcases or traycases if someone wants to take a peak. So I will definitely be looking into those

Comment

I will take watching Kubrick's The Shining over reading Rose Madder again any day!
            That bad uh Martin lol. I enjoyed the book myself. Back on subject here, I received Blockade Billy with the card and slipcase so I'm thinking I'll keep that one shrink-wrap due to the fact that I don't want to lose or damage the card.

Comment

That bad uh Martin lol. I enjoyed the book myself. Back on subject here, I received Blockade Billy with the card and slipcase so I'm thinking I'll keep that one shrink-wrap due to the fact that I don't want to lose or damage the card.
              That is actually the only book I have left in the shrinkwrap, but I did buy two of them and one is unwrapped.
              Last edited by Martin; 09-28-2015, 03:08 AM.

Comment

My apologies Brad and Martin for being so dismissive on the subject of Brodart. I was reading the foreword and afterword of the PS editions I received today and I was quite nervous myself handling them with the utmost care. And ya can't show 'em off very well always hidden in the slipcases or traycases if someone wants to take a peak. So I will definitely be looking into those
                I did not think you were being dismissive at all, just stating your view.

Comment

I did not think you were being dismissive at all, just stating your view.
                  Thanks Martin. I checked out their site and it's kinda difficult to actually know which product I'd need. Thin enough so they aren't too tight to fit back into the slipcase/traycase but still provide ample protection. Is there a certain stock#/item# that you guys use? Thanks.

Comment

Here's an idea you may want to use. I put the card in a baseball card sleeve then placed it in the Brodart cover where the picture of billy is on the jacket, covered the jacket and it stays put like it's made to be there. The card is not damaged and you'll never lose the card. Mike

Comment

Excellent idea Mike. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Martin. I checked out their site and it's kinda difficult to actually know which product I'd need. Thin enough so they aren't too tight to fit back into the slipcase/traycase but still provide ample protection. Is there a certain stock#/item# that you guys use? Thanks.
                        I buy them locally at Powell's books. I happen to have some of the 10" ones around so the model number is "10 430 0050P" if that helps you.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Martin.

Comment

Working...
                          X