Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving books with or without slipcases in the publishers shrink-wrap. Do or Don't??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another point that I have seen in a forum at some point is that with the shrink-wrap left on it can be hard to tell if the book is damaged in any way. Maybe even missing the signature page.

A book I received from another publisher (shrink-wrapped in a slipcase) looked fine as received. The slipcase was fine however there were marks on the back of the dust-jacket that were indented into the book. (I was luck enough to receive a replacement book).

Comment

Speaking of other publishers and slipcases, I've had some issues with SubPress books arriving with damaged dust jackets, even when the book is protected by the slipcase. That tells me that they are knowingly putting damaged dust jackets on their high-end books, because I'm not talking about a minor rub that no one will ever see, I'm talking about major creases and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
        Speaking of other publishers and slipcases, I've had some issues with Sub Press books arriving with damaged dust jackets, even when the book is protected by the slipcase. That tells me that they are knowingly putting damaged dust jackets on their high-end books, because I'm not talking about a minor rub that no one will ever see, I'm talking about major creases and the like.
        Just a little insight into how this stuff works. Assuming Sub Press does some things in a similar fashion to how we do them, they don't DJ the books themselves, that's done at the manufacturing facility. From that point one of three things (or a combination of them) is probably happening. One, the books aren't being inspected very closely and damaged DJ's slip through. This can happen pretty easily, especially if you're in a hurry. Two, someone is putting them in the slipcases in a fashion that damages the DJ. Three, the books are pre-numbered and the manufacturer is slipcasesing the books at the plant. In this last instance Sub Press would never even see the DJ. I seriously doubt anyone is doing it knowingly. More likely than not they may have some new help in there warehouse, and it's really easy for stuff like that to slip through, especially when working with new employees.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Really appreciate all the replies guys. All the info has been most helpful. Learned some key "do's and dont's" and things to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            Just a little insight into how this stuff works. Assuming Sub Press does some things in a similar fashion to how we do them, they don't DJ the books themselves, that's done at the manufacturing facility. From that point one of three things (or a combination of them) is probably happening. One, the books aren't being inspected very closely and damaged DJ's slip through. This can happen pretty easily, especially if you're in a hurry. Two, someone is putting them in the slipcases in a fashion that damages the DJ. Three, the books are pre-numbered and the manufacturer is slipcasesing the books at the plant. In this last instance Sub Press would never even see the DJ. I seriously doubt anyone is doing it knowingly. More likely than not they may have some new help in there warehouse, and it's really easy for stuff like that to slip through, especially when working with new employees.
            Thanks for the insights, Dan. Based on where the damage is located, I suspect the first thing you mentioned is the culprit. Luckily, Bill is a cool guy and is going to send me a replacement (though this introduces its own flavor of irritation...).

Comment

Discovered this today when I removed the shrink-wrap from it. The slipcase is perfectly clean on the inside but both covers of the book have what appear to be spots. There really isn't any texture to the spots so I don't think it's caused from moisture. Any clues? Thanks

Doctor Sleep Damage 1.jpgDoctor Sleep Damage 2.jpg

Comment

I've always felt that shrink wrap is the devil. books need air, like all living things lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  Discovered this today when I removed the shrink-wrap from it. The slipcase is perfectly clean on the inside but both covers of the book have what appear to be spots. There really isn't any texture to the spots so I don't think it's caused from moisture. Any clues? Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17140[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17141[/ATTACH]
                  I would guess it is a staining from the shrinkwrap being in contact with the book surface. Just a guess though.

Comment

The shrink-wrap was only in contact with the slipcase and it's mint. Curious to know if other copies had this same issue. And of course I have no idea of the storage conditions before it was sent to me. Oh well. Is what it is now.

Comment

Try to clean it up with some Goo Gone or similar cleaning product.

Comment

That book is a matte finish right? That can happen with matte finish stuff, most likely is just dirt / dust from the manufacturing plant. It should just rub off pretty easily.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                          Try to clean it up with some Goo Gone or similar cleaning product.
                          Apprehensive about that I'll admit. Might give it a go all the same though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                            That book is a matte finish right? That can happen with matte finish stuff, most likely is just dirt / dust from the manufacturing plant. It should just rub off pretty easily.
                            Yes it is Dan. Sorry, I didn't see your post until after my other reply. I'll give it a shot then guys. Thanks!

Comment

My copy shows similar spots, Brian. They don't rub off.

sk

Comment

Maybe they used a different material than what we use on our matte stuff, but when our stuff has marks like that on it they typically rub off with a very very slightly damp cloth.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X