Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving books with or without slipcases in the publishers shrink-wrap. Do or Don't??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving books with or without slipcases in the publishers shrink-wrap. Do or Don't??

I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere but my brief search of the forum was fruitless. Looking to get opinions from the masses on this subject, horror stories, unpleasant surprises, etc. Thanks subie09lega for bringing this matter to my attention.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere but my brief search of the forum was fruitless. Looking to get opinions from the masses on this subject, horror stories, unpleasant surprises, etc. Thanks subie09lega for bringing this matter to my attention.
    Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I have heard of moisture / condensation being trapped inside the shrink wrap. I haven't experienced this first hand, however we did receive the last copies of probably a 20 - 30 year old gift edition awhile ago that where stored in their shrink wrap and probably 30% of them had some mildew on them, which took some effort to clean off.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I have heard of moisture / condensation being trapped inside the shrink wrap. I haven't experienced this first hand, however we did receive the last copies of probably a 20 - 30 year old gift edition awhile ago that where stored in their shrink wrap and probably 30% of them had some mildew on them, which took some effort to clean off.
      Thanks Dan. Sounds like maybe slipcasing/traycasing might be the better options. And of course the storage environment and exposure to the elements play a part as well.

Comment

This came up in another thread about a year ago. A major problem mentioned at that time is that shrink wrap can shrink over time, which can cause physical damage to your books.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
          This came up in another thread about a year ago. A major problem mentioned at that time is that shrink wrap can shrink over time, which can cause physical damage to your books.
          Ok thanks Slayn (Sorry, have yet to learn everyone's "real" name). And guess what, another bubble mailer today!!!. I think it's time we gather those horses you spoke of yesterday. I'll post a picture later. Terrible.

Comment

I think the two main points I have heard are those mentioned above. Shrink Wrap by design shrinks. This applies pressure to the book and dust jacket and can cause issues. Sweating inside the shrink wrap can happen and if it does will cause damage to the book. Also shrink wrap will degrade over time and may stick to the contents.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I think the two main points I have heard are those mentioned above. Shrink Wrap by design shrinks. This applies pressure to the book and dust jacket and can cause issues. Sweating inside the shrink wrap can happen and if it does will cause damage to the book. Also shrink wrap will degrade over time and may stick to the contents.
              Thanks Martin.

Comment

Yeah, definitely take the wrap off.
                Do you cover your dust jackets, Brian?

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                  Yeah, definitely take the wrap off.
                  Do you cover your dust jackets, Brian?
                  I have some that I have purchased that way Lincoln but no I haven't personally covered any. From what I've found to read on the subject, seems some say do, others say not. Subtopic here but what's your opinion or anyone else's for that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    I have some that I have purchased that way Lincoln but no I haven't personally covered any. From what I've found to read on the subject, seems some say do, others say not. Subtopic here but what's your opinion or anyone else's for that matter?
                    I protect my books with Brodart Mylar covers. I am a collector but I am a reader first and I find the fingerprints and fraying I get on dust jackets without covers really bugs me.
                    Last edited by Martin; 09-23-2015, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I protect my books with Broadart Mylar covers. I am a collector but I am a reader first and I find the fingerprints and fraying I get on dust jackets without covers really bugs me.
                      I could see where you'd need 'em then Martin. Me personally, I probably wouldn't need them because my primary focus is King and I get his trades via the book club for reading; aka my "daily drivers" .

Comment

This is what Robert over at Grant had to say on the matter, "I always suggest that people take the books out of shrink-wrap a) because then they can see all the art and design and b) the shrink-wrap plastic does give off fumes. Some Detroit in time. Many collectors believe that the books have more value if in shrink-wrap".

Comment

I protect with Brodart all books that are not traycased or slipcased. Slipcased is debatable, and I wonder if the spine might fade comparatively to the front and back over time even in low light conditions. But it's likely not always feasible to protect a slipcased book due to fit and the additional bulk of the plastic.

Without slipcases or traycases I'd 100% recommend protecting with an archival cover. It's not only protection from time and light you're getting, but also enhanced durability in handling. When you've got a non-reading buddy over admiring your collection, hand him a Brodart protected book you love and a non-protected one and see which one makes you nervous.
                          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                            I protect with Brodart all books that are not traycased or slipcased. Slipcased is debatable, and I wonder if the spine might fade comparatively to the front and back over time even in low light conditions. But it's likely not always feasible to protect a slipcased book due to fit and the additional bulk of the plastic.

Without slipcases or traycases I'd 100% recommend protecting with an archival cover. It's not only protection from time and light you're getting, but also enhanced durability in handling. When you've got a non-reading buddy over admiring your collection, hand him a Brodart protected book you love and a non-protected one and see which one makes you nervous.
                            The phrase, "You can look but don't touch" comes to mind . I plan on slipcasing all my collectables for those not included with the purchase. Traycases would have to be a step above that I'd think. I've read of that issue as well with the Brodart not wanting to fit back into the slipcase. I currently don't own any traycased volumes so not sure if that would allow for a better fit with the Brodart or not. I'm sure someone here would know no doubt.

Comment

I do have a few slipcased books that are too tight a fit to add a Brodart cover. I actually must be extra careful removing them from the slipcase due to the tightness. The traycased books I have all have enough room to allow for covers.

Comment

Working...
                              X