Short Film of Treats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Film of Treats

Vicente Garcia made a short student film based off the concept of my short story "Treats." He takes the basic concept--unwrapped Halloween candies that get thrown away, only to hatch mutant creatures that attack--and took it in his own direction. My story was about a mother and her son, his about a teenage girl home alone, and the end of his brings to fruition something only suggested in the story.

It's extremely low budget, and it shows, but I still think it has a fun 80s B movie vibe and of course I get a kick out of it because it's the concept from my story.

I wrote a blog about it, including video links to both the film and the behind the scenes footage.

http://markgunnells.livejournal.com/19471.html

That's great that you got a short film made from one of your works. I tried to watch it, but it didn't come up. Has it been taken off the site for some reason?

I'm a bit confused about something you say in your article on the film -- you didn't get credit? Seems odd the filmmaker would forget to put your name on it.

I'm also curious if anyone on this forum directs and is looking for submissions from writers for short-film projects. Most likely any director on here also writes her own stuff, but I am always looking for those kinds of opportunities. It is more difficult than I ever thought it would be to get a short film made from one of my short stories or short scripts. Came very close this past summer, only to oddly have the project dropped abruptly and at the last minute; quite strange. If anyone knows of any forums that offer this kind of pitching opportunity, please let me know. And I've said it before: Cemetery Dance should start to make its own short films.

Comment

Hmm, seems he made it private. He said he might do that if he decided to try to get it in some local film festivals.

Comment

Congrats Mark! It's cool to have one of your concepts realized in film form.

Comment

Sounds like I'd enjoy taking a look. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Here's an interview I did with the kid that made the film. Also, the link to the actual film which I included in the original post seems to be working again.

http://markgunnells.livejournal.com/20099.html

Comment

Working...
            X