20th Century Ghosts [1oth Anniversary Edition] by Joe Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20th Century Ghosts [1oth Anniversary Edition] by Joe Hill

PS Publishing has put officially announced the 10th Anniversay edition of 20th Century Ghosts, scheduled for October release.

A COLLECTION by Joe Hill
    CATEGORY Horror
    PUBLICATION DATE October 2015
    COVER, ENDPAPERS, SLIPCASE & TRAYCASE ART Vincent Chong
    PAGES 400

EDITIONS
    a 26-copy lettered and traycased edition signed by Joe and artist Vinny Chong, plus the two directors of the short films (‘Abraham’s Boys’ directed by Dorothy L. Street; and ‘Pop Art’ directed by Amanda Boyle) included on DVD, priced at £495;
    a 200-copy edition signed by Joe and Vinny and housed in an illustrated slipcase priced at £125; and
    a 774-copy unsigned trade edition priced at just £35 and housed in a plain material slipcase, split between alternative dustjacket, PPC and endpapers (thereby giving you all the artwork if you buy both).
    On the regular unsigned edition, there will be four pieces of Vinny Chong’s stunning artwork. On the deluxe slipcased and traycased editions, there will be five pieces plus a set of seven cards bearing all of the Vinny Chong artwork.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Anyone out there heard of this cat Joe Hill? Yeah, of course you have. And I’ll bet ya heard of Joe’s Ray Bradbury’s Fellowship award for the story ‘20th Century Ghost’ and maybe you heard he also received the William L. Crawford award for best new fantasy writer in 2006, the A. E. Coppard Long Fiction Prize in 1999 for ‘Better Than Home’ and the 2006 World Fantasy Award for ‘Voluntary Committal’. His stories have appeared in a variety of magazines, such as Postscripts, Subterranean Magazine and The High Plains Literary Review, and in many anthologies.

Well, it’s 10 years since, overloaded to the back teeth with projects, CD Head Honcho Richard Chizmar sent Joe our way to ask if PS might be interested in publishing his collection of tales, wrapped around the title of that Bradbury Fellowship story. On the night Joe responded to my suggestion that he send me his three best yarns. I read ‘Ghost’, ‘Pop Art’ (sheer genius and containing a killer closing line) and, heck, you know, I don’t recall the third one. I do recall dropping him a line first thing the next morning and asking for a phone number and I called and we spoke and we made a deal and, well, you know the rest—20TH CENTURY GHOSTS, GUNPOWDER, HORNS, plus a little something special just down the pike that we’ll talk about a little later. But before that, just to re-whet your whistle, here’s the 10th Anniversary edition of the book that started the ball rolling and which notched up in quick succession the World Fantasy Award, the British Fantasy Award, the International Horror Guild

I was anxiously awaiting this one - especially the signed version, but the price ended up being too high for me, so I went for the regular version instead. Of course, I question my need for it since I have a hardcover version signed already.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      I was anxiously awaiting this one - especially the signed version, but the price ended up being too high for me, so I went for the regular version instead. Of course, I question my need for it since I have a hardcover version signed already.
      The signed Limited was on the higher side of what I was willing to pay but I ordered it. I wish the DVD was included with the limited but it is not. I think this one will it well next my singed 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        The signed Limited was on the higher side of what I was willing to pay but I ordered it. I wish the DVD was included with the limited but it is not. I think this one will it well next my singed 1st.
        I was hoping for $125 at the most, so the $200 one was definitely outside my comfort zone.

I still question my need for this anniversary edition since it doesn't appear to have anything new (other than some art) in it. I already own one of the short films so the DVD wasn't a must have.

Comment

I decided to pass. Though a signed slipcased edition sounds great, the $200 price tag was too much for the old budget. Congrats to everyone who did pick up a copy.

Comment

I passed also.

Comment

I have the original S/L of 20th CENTURY GHOSTS, and that's good enough for me.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Got the 'trade' edition. I am a little annoyed that they released two different versions of the trade with the art split in between. First world problems I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post
                  Got the 'trade' edition. I am a little annoyed that they released two different versions of the trade with the art split in between. First world problems I suppose.
                  PS started doing that with their edition of Thinner I believe. Yeah it's annoying but people will buy two copies just to have both covers. One is good enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    PS started doing that with their edition of Thinner I believe. Yeah it's annoying but people will buy two copies just to have both covers. One is good enough for me
                    I'd call it deeply cynical rather than annoying. It's mildly frustrating when different versions have different covers, but I figure the folks springing for the more expensive ones (and this includes me in a lot of cases) should get more bang for their buck. But releasing multiple covers for a trade edition for no other real reason than you know a lot of your customers will buy two copies rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

I can understand that two publishers might have a different vision of a book, but it can appear to be a bit much. The bottom line is to be a good consumer and decide what you really want. The whole GRRM Game of Thrones thing is a perfect example of publishing and buying craziness, the prices on those books, insane, not to mention the different editions that are out there. It is a business, publishers have to make money, profit margins are thin, but in the end, no one is making you buy anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        I can understand that two publishers might have a different vision of a book, but it can appear to be a bit much.
                        No, that's fine. The issue at hand is that PS is basically releasing two version of the trade edition of 20th Century Ghosts: 10th Anniversary Edition.

Comment

Working...
                        X