Upcoming Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I'd really like to revisit the entire Star Wars series, but I've decided not to pick up the original trilogy until they re-release the original versions, which might just be never.

As far as the new one goes, I'll probably not see it in theaters for a least a few weeks. One reason being that I have no time during the holiday season--after today, I only have Christmas day off of work until New Years Eve--and the other being not wanting to deal with the crowds. That being said, I'm still jealous of everyone who is going to see it before me!
    I hear ya, SM. I plan on waiting til after the 1st of the year for exactly the same reasons.

Comment

I'd really like to revisit the entire Star Wars series, but I've decided not to pick up the original trilogy until they re-release the original versions, which might just be never.

I believe they will release the original trilogy unchanged. Lucas may have had some artistic issue with doing that, but I am pretty sure, Disney ($$$$) wont.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
        I believe they will release the original trilogy unchanged. Lucas may have had some artistic issue with doing that, but I am pretty sure, Disney ($$$$) wont.
        I've heard some rumors regarding the original cuts. The first being that part of the contract of sale from George Lucas to Disney was / is that the "Special Edition" version of the film are the official versions of the films and they can't release the original cuts. The other rumor I've heard is that Disney can't release new version of the previous Star Wars movies until the distribution rights revert back from Fox. Which is why we haven't seen new releases of the films since before Disney bought Lucasfilm. This is probably also why we haven't seen any UltraHD cuts of the movies yet (that and it takes a long time for them to remaster the movies for 4K).

I think the second rumor is the most likely though.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          I've heard some rumors regarding the original cuts. The first being that part of the contract of sale from George Lucas to Disney was / is that the "Special Edition" version of the film are the official versions of the films and they can't release the original cuts. The other rumor I've heard is that Disney can't release new version of the previous Star Wars movies until the distribution rights revert back from Fox. Which is why we haven't seen new releases of the films since before Disney bought Lucasfilm. This is probably also why we haven't seen any UltraHD cuts of the movies yet (that and it takes a long time for them to remaster the movies for 4K).

I think the second rumor is the most likely though.
          I really hope it's not number one. I haven't seen the "Special Edition" versions so I can't truly judge, but I like the original trilogy the way it was and never saw any use of the tinkering. And some of the choices that I've heard have been in the new versions don't really interest me.

Comment

I really hope it's not number one. I haven't seen the "Special Edition" versions so I can't truly judge, but I like the original trilogy the way it was and never saw any use of the tinkering. And some of the choices that I've heard have been in the new versions don't really interest me.
            I think that when looking at all six movies as a whole, most of the changes make sense and work. The whole "Han Shot First" thing is a bit of a fallacy if you ask me. In the special editions Greedo didn't shoot before Han he shot at the same time as Han instead of not shooting at all. I honestly don't even notice it. Most of the changes where really really necessary for bringing the movie to a high definition format. It's just the one or two big changes that stand out the most.

Instagram

Comment

I am by no means a Star Wars expert but will be seeing the new movie next Monday. I have agreed to go see it with a friend who wants to make sure it is OK to take his son. I have seen the original 3 but have not seen the three that released later. I also have the original 3 on DVD but do not know if they are the version from theaters or not. Actually did not know new version were released. Looking forward to seeing the new one but would not be going if my friend had not asked.
              Last edited by Martin; 12-15-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Adding The Witch and The Nice Guys to my list of movies that I've got to see. Both look amazing!
                Having previously not heard of either of these I've got to say I agree on both.
                “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  I am by no means a Star Wars expert but will be seeing the new movie next Monday. I have agreed to go see it with a friend who wants to make sure it is OK to take his son. I have seen the original 3 but have not seen the three that released later. I also have the original 3 on DVD but do not know if they are the version from theaters or not. Actually did not know new version were released. Looking forward to seeing the new one but would not be going if my friend had not asked.
                  Well I am now home and have taken a look at the DVD set I have. They make no mention of the version of the films so I guess I have no clue which versions I have.

Comment

Well, I still have the original theatrical versions. On LaserDisc.... (and they still work!)
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      Well, I still have the original theatrical versions. On LaserDisc.... (and they still work!)
                      Love my laserdiscs. I remember how proud I was when I purchase the massive Definitive Edition box set. Still find it really weird that the big book it came with didn't come with a dust cover.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                        I remember how proud I was when I purchase the massive Definitive Edition box set. Still find it really weird that the big book it came with didn't come with a dust cover.
                        I've got that set, too! It was delivered by accident to a Sam Goody store in Hays, KS and the manager saved it for me to look at before sending it back. Ninety-nine well-spent dollars. I've also got the collector's edition of Hellraiser that includes Barker's shooting script.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I don't think the original cuts where released on anything but Laserdisk / VHS. I think if you at least have a DVD it's probably at the very least one of the first two alterations post release done to the film. If you have DVD's released since the prequels, then you almost certainly have the special editions, and I think all of the Blu-Ray's are the special editions.

Instagram

Comment

^ So far as I know, this is true!

Comment

For what it's worth, the later the version of the special edition you watch, the better it looks. Those early versions / CGI alterations looked like garbage, but they've worked on them and fixed a lot of the problems since then.

Instagram

Comment

It's just such a shame that it's nye impossible to watch the original cuts, or even the digitally remastered (but without the added footage) versions these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X