Thread: The Martian Limited Edition:

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar

The Martian Limited Edition:

Subterranean Press has announced a signed limited edition of The Martian. THey are even offering it at a reasonable price of $75.00.

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p...il/the_martian

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I'm getting this one too. I already sent an email Camelot.
    Mike

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I wasn't familiar with the cover artists name, but after a quick google search, I'm a huge fan.

Pre-orderd this and Sub's edition of Ready Player One. $75 for each is VERY reasonable.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    Picked up a copy of The Martian and Ready Player One as well.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I have the UK signed/limited HC, so on a purely selfish level I was a bit dismayed to see this new S/L which will inevitably cut into the value of mine...but as a big fan of the book I'm glad to see it receive the deluxe treatment in yet another S/L.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I have the UK signed/limited HC, so on a purely selfish level I was a bit dismayed to see this new S/L which will inevitably cut into the value of mine...but as a big fan of the book I'm glad to see it receive the deluxe treatment in yet another S/L.
    I kept eyeballing the UK edition and was sad to see its secondary market price skyrocket once the movie's trailer hit. So this edition was a nice surprise. Lower print run, what I'm sure to be an amazing cover and production value. I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    In some ways, books are getting as bad as comics used to be. I tend not to worry too much about the values, I stayed well away form the GRRM madness, just get what you like and you'll come out ahead in the long run.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    In some ways, books are getting as bad as comics used to be. I tend not to worry too much about the values, I stayed well away form the GRRM madness, just get what you like and you'll come out ahead in the long run.
    Oh, I completely agree...I was speaking more in the abstract than the practical...I don't plan to sell, so in the end value is kind of moot.

Hey, nothing wrong with wanting your collection to grow in value, but you know market trends are so fickle. I know what you mean about not selling, I think that will be left up to my kids lol!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Passing on both The Martian and Ready Player One. I debated on The Martian for a while, but it's not on the top of my must-have list and with so many other high-priced books vying for my attention (here's looking at you, Centipede press with your David Case and Karl Edward Wagner titles), I just can't justify spending the money. Ready Player One just isn't my cup of tea, so that's an easy pass.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I'm also passing. I wasn't wowed by either, and I'm not going to spend that much just for books that will, I feel, just be a brief flash in the pan of pop culture.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I'm also passing. I wasn't wowed by either, and I'm not going to spend that much just for books that will, I feel, just be a brief flash in the pan of pop culture.

I picked up both through Camelot, haven't read either yet. I don't know about flash in the pan, 1st/1st of Ready Player One are not easy to find right now, going for about $200. Steven Spielberg is doing the film version. And Ridley Scott is doing The Martian with a great cast.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    My point is that they won't have staying power. Ready Player One is only popular because it poked the nostalgia gland of 80s kids, not because it's a good book (it's not). Interest will be high until about a month after the movie comes out, then I expect prices will start dropping because bad books do not generally maintain their value in the long term. It may not even take that long if Armada isn't good.

I may be wrong about the The Martian, though, because the analog I keep wanting to go to is Jurassic Park - sci-fi for people that do not typically read sci-fi - and that, obviously, has staying power.

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Passed on The Martian, which I liked quite a bit, mainly for it's pacing and Watney's inability to give up.

Picked up Ready Player One, and would probably have purchased a lettered if I'd had the chance. I felt it to be quite strong, but admittedly am a member of the video game generation the book is targeting.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    I've bought too many limiteds this year, from Robert McCammon to George R.R. Martin to Dan Simmons....Steven Erikson...(no King limited yet... )

For the moment - enough is enough.

sk

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    I agree with you. For me between the Robert McCammon books and the Joe R. Lansdale books as well as First Blood from David Morrell and the anticipation of a couple of books by a certain publisher/ owner I am not in the book buying game right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    I've bought too many limiteds this year, from Robert McCammon to George R.R. Martin to Dan Simmons....Steven Erikson...(no King limited yet... )

For the moment - enough is enough.

sk

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Shipping notice received!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Shipping notice received!
    Is that what my Sub Press shipping notice was for? Nice.