No announcement yet.

Comic Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer Scott Snyder to Morrison's Batman pre-New 52. Not that he doesn't have his charm, he just tends to have pretty out there stories, while I prefer the more down to earth Batman stories. Started up Snyder's Swamp Thing as well, and liked it, as well as Justice League Dark (big fan of that aspect of DC's universe). Ultimately what reduced my comic buying around the time of the new 52 had nothing to do with the comics themselves, it was my increase in book buying

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation of the Snyder Batman run. It's been on my radar, but your praise definitely kicks it up a notch.

I've heard the same thing about the Archie books: that they sell like hotcakes. I know that some of the aftermarket prices on the early issues (especially for variant covers) were fetching some decent prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I think DC actually did it pretty well with the New 52 stuff. I think comic book readers where a bit upset because it changed a lot of stuff with their favorite characters, but it was really needed. Marvel on the other hand is constantly renumbering their books, it's pretty ridiculous. From what I understand they have basically been renumbering any time a creative team moves on. Where for the most part DC has relatively few renumberings.

I think their thoughts behind a renumber is that it's a good place for new readers to jump on. The counter to that though is that it's also a good place for current readers to jump off.
        I stopped reading Avengers because of that. They changed the title during the middle of a story arc and it was confusing to try and keep things straight. They went to Avengers Assemble and had two different versions. One for kids and one more adult oriented. Covers on some copies you couldn't tell the difference and some months I had to go back because I grabbed the kids issue and not the regular issue.

Check out the second episode of Brian Keene' s The Horror Show pod cast. It is all about his frustration with trying to work in the comic book business. It's also my favorite pod cast on right now. I understand that Brian is going to visit cemetery dance for a pod cast soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
          I stopped reading Avengers because of that. They changed the title during the middle of a story arc and it was confusing to try and keep things straight. They went to Avengers Assemble and had two different versions. One for kids and one more adult oriented. Covers on some copies you couldn't tell the difference and some months I had to go back because I grabbed the kids issue and not the regular issue.

Check out the second episode of Brian Keene' s The Horror Show pod cast. It is all about his frustration with trying to work in the comic book business. It's also my favorite pod cast on right now. I understand that Brian is going to visit cemetery dance for a pod cast soon.
          Marvel is stupid as hell with their titling and numbering. I say screw'em, if I want a story from them I'll buy the graphic novel. Other than that, just the odd key issue.

Comment

New ongoing James Bond comic written by Warren Ellis is going to be published Dynamite. I believe the first issue is set to come out in November. Love Ellis's work so this is high on my list to check out.

Comment

I, for whatever reason(s), never really got into comics ever... I think back when I was a kid (gradeschool maybe?) I would pick up to occasional one - probably a Tom & Jerry maybe? Although I do have a #1 edition, protected in a plastic bag, the first Ren & Stimpy comic!

There has recently been ComicCons here (one local one takes place twice a year, and it's getting pretty big now), plus we have a (at least it appears pretty big time) new one coming to Caesar's Windsor - with Kevin Smith as the main guest, plus some pretty names as well. I think I might go - I would be more interested in something that has a lot of sci-fi/horror type goings on (venders, panels, guests).

I do know that one of the big DC artists is from my city - friends with one of my co-workers in fact. David Finch is the name.

Comment

Working...
              X