Steve Hackett solo cds vs early Genesis stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Hackett solo cds vs early Genesis stuff

Does anyone here have an opinion on Steve Hackett solo cds? I love old Genesis music and was thinking of trying a few of his solo cds.

Only heard a couple songs. Prog ain't my main thing (that's metal), but I do have a fair collection. His solo stuff didn't specifically catch my attention, though I didn't thoroughly investigate his music. So, yeah, for me, early Genesis.

Comment

His most recent music is just performing the old Genesis songs. They are live discs. Pretty good. The vocalist sounds a lot like Peter Gabriel. I loved the album's he did with Steve Howe in the group GTR some really good music. I am a prog junkie. Love that old Genesis, Yes, ELP, and of course early Rush stuff. Dream Theater is pretty good. Not so much since they replaced there drummer who's name escapes me at the ....Mike Portnoy that's the guy they replaced. He is a great drummer. Up there with Neil Peart.

Comment

I saw the video of him at Earl's Court, I think it was. I liked it.

Comment

I also really liked the GTR album. I just listened to it again recently and it holds up pretty well.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
            His most recent music is just performing the old Genesis songs. They are live discs. Pretty good. The vocalist sounds a lot like Peter Gabriel. I loved the album's he did with Steve Howe in the group GTR some really good music. I am a prog junkie. Love that old Genesis, Yes, ELP, and of course early Rush stuff. Dream Theater is pretty good. Not so much since they replaced there drummer who's name escapes me at the ....Mike Portnoy that's the guy they replaced. He is a great drummer. Up there with Neil Peart.
            I'm picky when it comes to prog, love me some Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Rush (of course), and Uriah Heep, if you consider them prog. Dream Theater is hit and miss with me, a lot of their albums are a bit to wanky and lack direction in my opinion. I do enjoy the first two (especially their first prior to James LaBrie joining) and the odd song here and there. For prog metal, the first three Fates Warning albums are my holy grails, I dig on Symphony X, Shadow Gallery and Savatage too though.

Comment

Working...
            X