No announcement yet.

What audio book are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about to finish up Strange Weather. Really enjoyed the first two stories and thought the narration was great. The third story was just plain silly to me and the last is read by the same woman that read The Fireman. Not a fan of her readings but the story is so-so. Great news is that Snapshot and Loaded are two of the best stories from Joe in quite awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Just about to finish up Strange Weather. Really enjoyed the first two stories and thought the narration was great. The third story was just plain silly to me and the last is read by the same woman that read The Fireman. Not a fan of her readings but the story is so-so. Great news is that Snapshot and Loaded are two of the best stories from Joe in quite awhile.
      I read Strange Weather and then listened to the audio as a re-read. I have heard others say they did not like Kate Mulgrew's reading of Fireman or Rain. I have not listened to Fireman so can't offer an opinion. I will say that I had trouble linking her voice the narrator I envisioned when reading it. She seamed older and gentler than I thought she should. With that said I still enjoyed the story and her narration was not a distraction from the story for me.

I will finish listening to The Exorcist 40th Anniversary edition today. It is read by the author and he does a real good job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I read Strange Weather and then listened to the audio as a re-read. I have heard others say they did not like Kate Mulgrew's reading of Fireman or Rain. I have not listened to Fireman so can't offer an opinion. I will say that I had trouble linking her voice the narrator I envisioned when reading it. She seamed older and gentler than I thought she should. With that said I still enjoyed the story and her narration was not a distraction from the story for me.

I will finish listening to The Exorcist 40th Anniversary edition today. It is read by the author and he does a real good job with it.
        Recently listened to The Fireman by Joe Hill, narrated by Kate Mulgrew. Although I did not care for her narration of Rain I thought she did a real good job with The Fireman. Still really enjoy the story but remains one of my least favorite Hill novels.

Also listened to Wool by Hugh Howey and really enjoyed it. Very interested in seeing were the trilogy leads.
        Last edited by Martin; 04-03-2018, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Recently listened to The Fireman by Joe Hill, narrated by Kate Mulgrew. Although I did not care for her narration of Rain I thought she did a real good job with The Fireman. Still really enjoy the story but remains one of my least favorite Hill novels.

Also listened to Wool by Hugh Howey and really enjoyed it. Very interested in seeing were the trilogy leads.
          We'll continue to disagree on The Fireman and it's narrator. We can agree on Rain though.

Recently finished SK's Blaze and it was wonderfully read. I couldn't finish the book a few years back but I couldn't get enough of the audio. Good stuff.

I'm now listening to Danse Macabre. This one is going to be a huge struggle has the narrator is pretty monotone. Feels more like listening to a lecture on the subject matter. On disc 4 of 15. I'm not one to quit things often but this might be the exception to the rule.

Comment

We'll continue to disagree on The Fireman and it's narrator. We can agree on Rain though.

Recently finished SK's Blaze and it was wonderfully read. I couldn't finish the book a few years back but I couldn't get enough of the audio. Good stuff.

I'm now listening to Danse Macabre. This one is going to be a huge struggle has the narrator is pretty monotone. Feels more like listening to a lecture on the subject matter. On disc 4 of 15. I'm not one to quit things often but this might be the exception to the rule.
            I have Danse Macabre in my Audible library but have not started it yet. I may have to add Blaze, I remember thinking the novel was just OK when I read it. I may have a different view of the Audio.

Comment

I have Danse Macabre in my Audible library but have not started it yet. I may have to add Blaze, I remember thinking the novel was just OK when I read it. I may have a different view of the Audio.
              Hopefully I don't fall asleep in traffic while listening to Danse.....

Comment

Hopefully I don't fall asleep in traffic while listening to Danse.....
                Listens like that do not put me to sleep but sometimes it dawns on me that I have a book playing and I have completely tuned it out. That means I have to find what I last remember and listen again to something that bored me enough to tune out. I hate it when that happens!

Comment

Listens like that do not put me to sleep but sometimes it dawns on me that I have a book playing and I have completely tuned it out. That means I have to find what I last remember and listen again to something that bored me enough to tune out. I hate it when that happens!
                  I've done that too LOL. Or a pretty girl pulls up next to me at a light

Comment

Just finished listening to Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

I finished listening to How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. I Liked it a lot. A riff on the man who lives a long time idea, but very well told and nicely read. I then re-listened to Matheson-Duel, Hill/King - Throttle packaged together as Road Rage. Duel was better!
                      Now I'm back onto The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon. I started listening to a Graphic Audio version but I don't really like that format, so I grabbed the audible version, read by Simon Prebble, and I'm enjoying it much more.
                      Last edited by HumphreyBear; 04-09-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Will finish listening to Danse Macabre tonight or tomorrow. When I complete this the only King book I will not have read will be The Wind Through the Keyhole. I am enjoying but not loving Danse Macabre. The narrator is William Dufris who also narrates John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. As I have been working through that series on audio also it too a while for me to adjust to him narrating this. He is a good narrator though.

Comment

Will finish listening to Danse Macabre tonight or tomorrow. When I complete this the only King book I will not have read will be The Wind Through the Keyhole. I am enjoying but not loving Danse Macabre. The narrator is William Dufris who also narrates John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. As I have been working through that series on audio also it too a while for me to adjust to him narrating this. He is a good narrator though.
                          Finished up Danse Macabre the other day. That was a tough one to get through. My favorite part was at the end learning about where he drew his inspiration for The Stand, which remains my all time favorite King book.

On to Something Wicked This Way Comes. So far I'm not really getting into it.

Comment

Finished up Danse Macabre the other day. That was a tough one to get through. My favorite part was at the end learning about where he drew his inspiration for The Stand, which remains my all time favorite King book.

I read SWTWC because a girl I liked loved it. Sadly neither worked out well.

Comment

I have not had trouble getting through it and have generally enjoyed but I must admit the portions about movies bored me at times. The sections on books I am enjoying more. I have one chapter left that I will listen to in the morning. That must be the part about The Stand you mention.

I am actually not sure if I read Something Wicked or saw the movie. I have fond memories of the story but no recollection of why I know it. I am thinking about reading it to see if I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                                I read SWTWC because a girl I liked loved it. Sadly neither worked out well.
                                The things we do for love. Uh, Jason.

I have not had trouble getting through it and have generally enjoyed but I must admit the portions about movies bored me at times. The sections on books I am enjoying more. I have one chapter left that I will listen to in the morning. That must be the part about The Stand you mention.

I am actually not sure if I read Something Wicked or saw the movie. I have fond memories of the story but no recollection of why I know it. I am thinking about reading it to see if I remember it.
                                It must be in the last chapter.

I've seen the movie Something Wicked several times and really enjoyed it. It's been awhile so I can't really compare the book to the film. Might have to try and catch the film right after I finish the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X