No announcement yet.

What audio book are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently listening to my first Cormac McCarthy read with No Country for Old Men. Really enjoying it. About half way in and I am actually surprised how closely the movie follows the story. I just assumed because it was a Cohen Brothers film it would take great liberties.

Comment

Currently listening to Elevation and Flight or Fright. Elevation is getting better for me while Flight or Fright is pretty hit and miss. I do enjoy King's intro to each story.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        Currently listening to Elevation and Flight or Fright. Elevation is getting better for me while Flight or Fright is pretty hit and miss. I do enjoy King's intro to each story.
        I enjoyed Elevation but wanted more. While Flight or Fright was hit and miss for me the hits made it all worth the ride.
        Last edited by Martin; 04-26-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Agreed. He's got a natural great tone for narration (not to mention a first-class intellect!).

Comment

Currently listening to The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. I have a beat up old paperback that I have read several times. This is easily my most read Non-Fiction story. Saw they had an inexpensive audio version on Audible and I had a $5.00 credit so I added it. The narrator is doing a great job. If you are unfamiliar this is a true story of a Polish soldier captured by the Soviets and sentenced to 25 years at a labor camp in Siberia. With the help of the prison guards wife he and several others escape and walk to India crossing through Siberia, the Gobi desert and the Himalayas. It is a fascinating story.

Comment

Currently listening to something a little different. It's titled Misquoting Jesus. It deals with how folks take the bible literally word for word and that it's actually a book written by humans that is full of errors from the original text. While I'm not a religious person, religious topics and history have always fascinated me.

Comment

Currently listening to something a little different. It's titled Misquoting Jesus. It deals with how folks take the bible literally word for word and that it's actually a book written by humans that is full of errors from the original text. While I'm not a religious person, religious topics and history have always fascinated me.
                That sound interesting. Please provide your thoughts on the book when you finish.

Comment

No Country for Old Men was a real piece of work! I'm about halfway through director David Cronenberg's first (and, so far, only) novel, Consumed. Read by actor William Hurt (Altered States and many others), the book's cold horror is relentless, proving Cronenberg could probably do quite well as a novelist.

COVER CONSUMED BACK.jpg CONSUMED AUDIOBOOK COVER.jpg
                  Last edited by William J. Grabowski; 05-01-2019, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Currently listening to "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI".
                    This is non-fiction chronicling a key piece of American history and is told in three acts. Each act has a different narrator and I am just about through act two. The audio of this is a perfect example of how the narrator makes a difference in the story. Act one is narrated by Ann Marie Lee and while important information is being delivered she reads the tale with a complete monotone and at times it was difficult to keep my attention on the story even with the content. Act two is read by Will Patton and he tells the story evoking the correct emotions with the story he is telling. I did have to adjust to being told a non-fiction story by Bill Hodges but I truly believe he is a great narrator and this books displays his skills perfectly.

Comment

I'm listening to an audio lecture course Empire of Gold: A History of the Byzantine Empire by and narrated by Prof. Thomas F Madden. I'm up to Segment 3. There are 7 segments total. Prof. Madden has become a favorite of mine. I've listened to I believe 6 of his audio lectures. At Gryphon Editions a signed book by Prof. Madden is available to purchase.

Cap
                      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                        I'm listening to an audio lecture course Empire of Gold: A History of the Byzantine Empire by and narrated by Prof. Thomas F Madden. I'm up to Segment 3. There are 7 segments total. Prof. Madden has become a favorite of mine. I've listened to I believe 6 of his audio lectures. At Gryphon Editions a signed book by Prof. Madden is available to purchase.

Cap
                        I really need to brush up on history more... and finally get a new phone so I can play podcasts and more audiobooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          That sound interesting. Please provide your thoughts on the book when you finish.
                          Without getting into a religious discussion; it would bore you to death if it's not something you find interesting. I will point out one interesting opinion from the book. If the bible is the word of God, why wasn't it created by him? Never to be misinterpreted nor lost or destroyed through the ages. Do not discuss further as Dan will sack us LOL.

Just about to finish up a little story about Stevie Nicks. Pretty much typical sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Learned somethings I didn't know.

Comment

Without getting into a religious discussion; it would bore you to death if it's not something you find interesting. I will point out one interesting opinion from the book. If the bible is the word of God, why wasn't it created by him? Never to be misinterpreted nor lost or destroyed through the ages. Do not discuss further as Dan will sack us LOL.

Just about to finish up a little story about Stevie Nicks. Pretty much typical sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Learned somethings I didn't know.
                            Thanks for your thoughts. I may check it out.

Comment

Just starting The Chalk Man.

Comment

Audible has Paul Tremblay's new collection listed as new in NON-Fiction. Are they trying to tell us something?

Comment

Working...
                                X