Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 94 of 94

Thread: What audio book are you listening to?

  1. #81
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I enjoyed The Outsider but felt it could have been shorter.
    I felt that way about Sleeping Beauties.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I felt that way about Sleeping Beauties.
    So did I.

  3. #83
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    51
    I just finished listening to Roger Zelazny narrate A Night In The Lonesome October. I was glad I got to hear him perform his book, but I was somewhat disappointed. It was a bare bones affair with no music or dramatization of the material or voices. It's such an exciting book and it came across very flat.

  4. #84
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,490
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I just finished listening to Roger Zelazny narrate A Night In The Lonesome October. I was glad I got to hear him perform his book, but I was somewhat disappointed. It was a bare bones affair with no music or dramatization of the material or voices. It's such an exciting book and it came across very flat.
    Yea that happens a lot when authors narrate their own work. I've said it before, but the best ones are the Star Wars books, they're basically audio plays with the music and sound effects from the movies, and usually really good voice talent. In general though the best ones outside of that tend to be the titles narrated by professional voice actors. They're just better at it.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  5. #85
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    51
    I have high hopes that someone will do something like that in the future!!

  6. #86
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    20
    Currently listening to The Girl Next Door from Jack Ketchum. Not quite half way through but am absolutely loving it. Ketchum never disappoints!

  7. #87
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    49
    Finished up The Outsider recently and enjoyed it for the most part. Now picking up where I left off on the Body Snatchers. Really enjoying it about halfway through.

  8. #88
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Finished up The Outsider recently and enjoyed it for the most part. Now picking up where I left off on the Body Snatchers. Really enjoying it about halfway through.
    I thought The Outsider was pretty good but not great.

  9. #89
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    2
    I thought The Outsider was up and down. Some parts I really enjoyed but some parts dragged.
    I have just finished The Last Colony (Scalzi), Elevation (King) and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (Neil deGrasse Tyson). All terrific - I particularly like listening to Neil d T speak. He could read a shopping list and make it fascinating.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    I thought The Outsider was up and down. Some parts I really enjoyed but some parts dragged.
    I have just finished The Last Colony (Scalzi), Elevation (King) and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (Neil deGrasse Tyson). All terrific - I particularly like listening to Neil d T speak. He could read a shopping list and make it fascinating.
    I enjoyed The Last Colony. The only Old Man's War story I have left if The End of All Things.

  11. #91
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    20
    Currently listening to my first Cormac McCarthy read with No Country for Old Men. Really enjoying it. About half way in and I am actually surprised how closely the movie follows the story. I just assumed because it was a Cohen Brothers film it would take great liberties.

  12. #92
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    49
    Currently listening to Elevation and Flight or Fright. Elevation is getting better for me while Flight or Fright is pretty hit and miss. I do enjoy King's intro to each story.

  13. #93
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Currently listening to Elevation and Flight or Fright. Elevation is getting better for me while Flight or Fright is pretty hit and miss. I do enjoy King's intro to each story.
    I enjoyed ELevation but wanted more. While Flight or Fright was hit and miss for me the hits made it all worth the ride.

  14. #94
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed William J. Grabowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern West Virginia
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    7
    Agreed. He's got a natural great tone for narration (not to mention a first-class intellect!).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •