Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I saw that in the CP newsletter this morning - little out of my splurge but it now never read before price range. (If I wasn't trying to buy Lauren Graham's new book - signed - this would be a slam dunk.)
    Like Gilmore Girls Lauren Graham?

I was thinking about picking up The Collector as well, but it's a little rich for my blood right now, especially with a new Masters of the Weird Tale on its way. On a side note: still kicking myself for not picking up the Fritz Leiber volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Like Gilmore Girls Lauren Graham?

I was thinking about picking up The Collector as well, but it's a little rich for my blood right now, especially with a new Masters of the Weird Tale on its way. On a side note: still kicking myself for not picking up the Fritz Leiber volume.
      Yep - like Gilmore Girls. Girlfriend is a huge fan so I've been waiting for a signed version to show up on eBay. She did two signings at B&N in New York. The first one that hit eBay went for over $250 which shocked me. So I've been waiting for more copies to show up.

Comment

Tis the Season, I passed on the Collector, just can't get it all lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          Tis the Season, I passed on the Collector, just can't get it all lol!!
          Yeah, I passed as well. Between this, the new Delany three-volume set, Aldiss' FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND, C.A. Smith's collection, and Carroll's THE LAND OF LAUGHS, that's five Centipede releases I've passed on, all within the last few months. Normally a Centipede fan-boy who picks up most of their stuff, these recent releases just didn't do enough for me to justify a purchase(s), some of them at pretty hefty prices. The Smith one I do still regret a bit, though not enough to pick up a copy on the aftermarket, still at around pub. price.

Looking at upcoming books, though, I'll certainly need to loosen up my wallet for the Brown volumes and maybe -- maybe -- THE VAMPIRE TAPESTRY by Suzy McKee Charnas. Anyone read the Charnas book?
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            Yep - like Gilmore Girls. Girlfriend is a huge fan so I've been waiting for a signed version to show up on eBay. She did two signings at B&N in New York. The first one that hit eBay went for over $250 which shocked me. So I've been waiting for more copies to show up.
            That's really cool. I didn't know she had written any books. I'm actually quite a fan of her as an actress. Though not my favorite, I have watched every episode of Gilmore Girls, including the Netflix revival (my wife is a BIG Gilmore Girls fan) along with the entire series of Parenthood (my personal favorite).

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Yeah, I passed as well. Between this, the new Delany three-volume set, Aldiss' FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND, C.A. Smith's collection, and Carroll's THE LAND OF LAUGHS, that's five Centipede releases I've passed on, all within the last few months. Normally a Centipede fan-boy who picks up most of their stuff, these recent releases just didn't do enough for me to justify a purchase(s), some of them at pretty hefty prices. The Smith one I do still regret a bit, though not enough to pick up a copy on the aftermarket, still at around pub. price.

Looking at upcoming books, though, I'll certainly need to loosen up my wallet for the Brown volumes and maybe -- maybe -- THE VAMPIRE TAPESTRY by Suzy McKee Charnas. Anyone read the Charnas book?
              I loved The Vampire Tapestry! It's a unique look at the creature--more highly specialized, evolved predator and less monster. Like a dog's not a monster, unless you're a rabbit.
              (I passed on Delany and Aldiss but couldn't stay away from Smith, Carroll and Fowles).
              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I'm hoping to continue the Smith collection, also the Fritz Leiber and Moorcock books coming out will be hard to turn down. I hope CP has plans on releasing some Delany's Neveryon books.

Comment

I had to pass on the Browns and Moorcock. I like the Runestaff Series, but Elric doesn't cut it for me. So many books, so little money, especially at this time of year.

Comment

Not surprisingly, THE COLLECTOR is sold out.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Yeah, it sold out really fast but it was also only 100 copies which is pretty low for a Centipede book. At least the quick sellout saves me from double-thinking my decision to not get it.

Comment

(First, a bit of a secret: I have been reading and collecting Samuel R. Delany's fiction since the early 1960s) and while I think it interesting that his first SF "trilogy" is being reprinted by CP, my personal wish (and I am certainly not alone in this) is that the companion novel "The Splendor and Misery of Bodies, of Cities" be pulled out of whatever drawer or hard drive it is languishing (and yes, I know why it is languishing wherever) and be published with "Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand" from 1983 for the ultimate Delany SF diptych. Hopefully. Someday. By someone.

Comment

This next one isn't horror, so apologies for that, but since it was so spectacular and ties in with the Film noir thread I figured I'd post this here anyway. I'll be watching the film soon, probably tonight.
                          -John Barth

Comment

The Postman Always Rings Twice - James M. Cain

“Stealing a man’s wife, that’s nothing, but stealing his car, that’s larceny.”

A rambler gets thrown off the truck on which he’s been sneaking a ride and finds himself at a small restaurant/gas station. He sees the owner’s stunner of a wife and decides to accept a job offer at the establishment. The two fall in love and hatch a plan to kill the husband.

And of course it’s never as easy as that in a good story. Problems jump out of the woodwork, like stray cats, nosy police, bloodthirsty attorneys and especially the traits of the characters themselves. You never really know someone until you’re with them when the pressure’s on, and here we get to know these two.

This thing’s about as tight as it can possibly get, traversing a couple novels’ worth of action in just 35,000 words. It screams from start to finish, and as the darkness descends and justice tries to have its say, it keeps accelerating. This little beauty plays it fast and hard, and it’s no wonder the book became the legend it did.

“God kissed us on the brow that night. He gave us all that two people can ever have. And we just weren’t the kind that could have it. We had all that love, and we just cracked up under it.”

5 stars

SAM_7799.jpg

SAM_7809.jpg

SAM_7816.jpg

SAM_7803.jpg

SAM_7800.jpg

SAM_7818.jpg
                            -John Barth

Comment

^One of my all time favourite novels. Very nice edition to boot!
                              Last edited by Theli; 12-19-2016, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks! It's one of my favorites, too. Love it, and can't wait to watch the movie.
                                Last edited by bugen; 12-19-2016, 04:10 AM.
                                -John Barth

Comment

Working...
                                X