No announcement yet.

Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking forward to it, too, though not as much as I would have been pre-FIREMAN. It's unfortunate what impact one bad book can have on my fickle self. I'm still a huge Hill fan, don't give me wrong, but the well of assurance is tainted, so I no longer approach his work with 100% certainty that it's going to be something special.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      I'm looking forward to it, too, though not as much as I would have been pre-FIREMAN. It's unfortunate what impact one bad book can have on my fickle self. I'm still a huge Hill fan, don't give me wrong, but the well of assurance is tainted, so I no longer approach his work with 100% certainty that it's going to be something special.
      I actually loved The Fireman. My only letdown with Mr. Hills work has been NOS4A2. I enjoyed the story but think it could have been much shorter.

Comment

...whereas I think NOS4A2 is his best work to date.

Ah well, forum boards would be boring if we all liked the same books. ;-)

Comment

...whereas I think NOS4A2 is his best work to date.

Ah well, forum boards would be boring if we all liked the same books. ;-)
          It's Horns and Locke & Key for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
            It's Horns and Locke & Key for me.
            Locke & Key is my favorite Hill work and Heart Shaped Box is my favorite novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Locke & Key is my favorite Hill work and Heart Shaped Box is my favorite novel.
              Just finished up HSB on audio. I enjoyed it so it's in the top 3 for now. I'm listening to 20th Century Ghost next.

Comment

Of his full length novel works, I would put them in this order: NOS4A2, HEART-SHAPED BOX, GUNPOWDER (ok, a novella), HORNS, and THE FIREMAN. I've not read his Locke & Key graphic novels.

Comment

Of his full length novel works, I would put them in this order: NOS4A2, HEART-SHAPED BOX, GUNPOWDER (ok, a novella), HORNS, and THE FIREMAN. I've not read his Locke & Key graphic novels.
                  I think you'd really enjoy Locke & Key, Ron.

Comment

The Delicate Dependency - Michael Talbot

"You are confronting a reality you do not have the powers of conceptualization to understand."

Dr. Gladstone, a Victorian gentleman heavily engaged in his study of the flu virus after losing his wife to it, discovers a strain that prohibits antigens—a virus which disallows the human body any form of self-defense.

The doctor has two daughters, the youngest of which is severely mentally handicapped except in her recollection of and ability to reproduce music, where she is a savant. When she’s kidnapped by a mysterious young man the doctor has been studying, a man claiming to be vampire and with physical traits to support such claim, the doctor suspends his research to focus on the search for her, a search which leads him to the heart of a worldwide conspiracy.

More mystery than horror, and truncated by necessity for a quickly moving story, within the book lies an alternate history of man. This may be the greatest of all vampire novels, not just in its rendition of the creature, in explaining its purpose and existence, but in the book’s reminder that we comprehend 100% of nothing in a world that's always had deception as a key tapestry.

Richard Matheson, we have ourselves a tie for Greatest Vampire Novel.

All the teeming peoples of the world may prove themselves wretched, but the wonders of their creation will remain.

5 stars

SAM_0621.jpg

SAM_0619.jpg

SAM_0642.jpg

SAM_0487.jpg

SAM_0178.jpg

SAM_0269.jpg
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

I always reading and watching Bugen's reviews, and certainly agree with him on the Talbot novel (haven't read the others)...my first read of it was via the Valancourt tpb and I really enjoyed it, so much so that I sprung for the Centipede limited shown above, even though I'd already read it.

Comment

Mystery Road
                          By Kevin Lucia
                          Cemetery Dance Publications

Well A Cemetery Dance Grab bag has again introduced me to a new author I will be seeking out going forward.
                          P1360929.jpg

Kevin Lucia's Mystery Road is a haunting mystery that left me wanting more. This book will be in the Cemetery Dance Novella series and is only 89 pages long. While riding a familiar path to meet a friend fifteen year old Kevin Ellison spots a road he has never noticed before. Curiosity gets the best of him and he decides to explore this road. He finds a house at the end of the road that is strangely familiar to him. I do not want to give away too much of the story but I highly recommend this one.

Five Star Story

Comment

I loved this one, too. Fabulous story.
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Really love how CP numbers/letters their stuff!

Good to know, Martin regarding the forthcoming Novella Series story. Looking forward to those new editions once their announced.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Mystery Road
                                By Kevin Lucia
                                Cemetery Dance Publications

Well A Cemetery Dance Grab bag has again introduced me to a new author I will be seeking out going forward.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20076[/ATTACH]

Kevin Lucia's Mystery Road is a haunting mystery that left me wanting more. This book will be in the Cemetery Dance Novella series and is only 89 pages long. While riding a familiar path to meet a friend fifteen year old Kevin Ellison spots a road he has never noticed before. Curiosity gets the best of him and he decides to explore this road. He finds a house at the end of the road that is strangely familiar to him. I do not want to give away too much of the story but I highly recommend this one.

Five Star Story
                                Thanks for the review! This was going to be a "given" as a buy due to being part of the Novella series, but this makes me even more excited for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X