Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 500

Thread: Book Reviews

  1. #461
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    9
    I always reading and watching Bugen's reviews, and certainly agree with him on the Talbot novel (haven't read the others)...my first read of it was via the Valancourt tpb and I really enjoyed it, so much so that I sprung for the Centipede limited shown above, even though I'd already read it.

  2. #462
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    Mystery Road
    By Kevin Lucia
    Cemetery Dance Publications

    Well A Cemetery Dance Grab bag has again introduced me to a new author I will be seeking out going forward.
    P1360929.jpg

    Kevin Lucia's Mystery Road is a haunting mystery that left me wanting more. This book will be in the Cemetery Dance Novella series and is only 89 pages long. While riding a familiar path to meet a friend fifteen year old Kevin Ellison spots a road he has never noticed before. Curiosity gets the best of him and he decides to explore this road. He finds a house at the end of the road that is strangely familiar to him. I do not want to give away too much of the story but I highly recommend this one.

    Five Star Story

  3. #463
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    8
    I loved this one, too. Fabulous story.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  4. #464
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,732
    Rep Power
    7
    Really love how CP numbers/letters their stuff!

    Good to know, Martin regarding the forthcoming Novella Series story. Looking forward to those new editions once their announced.

  5. #465
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Mystery Road
    By Kevin Lucia
    Cemetery Dance Publications

    Well A Cemetery Dance Grab bag has again introduced me to a new author I will be seeking out going forward.
    P1360929.jpg

    Kevin Lucia's Mystery Road is a haunting mystery that left me wanting more. This book will be in the Cemetery Dance Novella series and is only 89 pages long. While riding a familiar path to meet a friend fifteen year old Kevin Ellison spots a road he has never noticed before. Curiosity gets the best of him and he decides to explore this road. He finds a house at the end of the road that is strangely familiar to him. I do not want to give away too much of the story but I highly recommend this one.

    Five Star Story
    Thanks for the review! This was going to be a "given" as a buy due to being part of the Novella series, but this makes me even more excited for it!

  6. #466
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    If you haven't ordered Widow's Point by Richard and Billy Chizmar you should order it. If you have it but have not yet read it you should read it.

    This is a great read:
    Have to be honest, I had reservations when ordering this book. Richard Chizmar's collection A Long December was one of my top reads from last year and I really wanted more from him. However the plot for this one has been done before. Writer stays in haunted location to write a story about it, but things ensue.
    Well I am happy to say that this book, while a familiar theme, was a totally unique story. Writer Thomas Livingston moves into a long closed lighthouse that has been the scene of several tragedy's for a three night stay. He takes along provisions for the three days, a video camera and an audio camera. While inside he discovers the diary of a young girl who perished long ago inside the lighthouse. As events unfold you ride along with Mr. Livingston as this adventure moves from a simple research mission to a fight for his life and sanity.

    Great read co-written by Richard Chizmar and his Son Billy Chizmar. I have the feeling we will be hearing a lot more from Billy in the future.

  7. #467
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    8
    The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle

    “It’s not enough to be ready to see—you have to be looking all the time.”

    Summarizing this book without tarnishing its perfection is impossible, as a plot synopsis consisting of a few sentences can easily lead one to believe it’s standard fantasy fare.

    It is not.

    The bones of the story may boil down to look routine, but the profundity of the writing, the sledgehammer of wisdom and fancy pounding away at your head and heart makes this one for the ages.

    And anything else is a spoiler.

    The book must be read.

    I did not know that I was so empty, to be so full.

    5 stars

    The Last Unicorn.jpg
    Last edited by bugen; 02-28-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  8. #468
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    1
    Added these three to my TBR list. Thanks Bugen and Martin. One of my favourite things about being on this forum is the constant stream of recommendations I get. It's hard to keep up with but what a great problem to have.

  9. #469
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle

    “It’s not enough to be ready to see—you have to be looking all the time.”

    Summarizing this book without tarnishing its perfection is impossible, as a plot synopsis consisting of a few sentences can easily lead one to believe it’s standard fantasy fare.

    It is not.

    The bones of the story may boil down to look routine, but the profundity of the writing, the sledgehammer of wisdom and fancy pounding away at your head and heart makes this one for the ages.

    And anything else is a spoiler.

    The book must be read.

    I did not know that I was so empty, to be so full.

    5 stars

    The Last Unicorn.jpg
    I am not a big fantasy reader but you have me intrigued, great review!

  10. #470
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    Added these three to my TBR list. Thanks Bugen and Martin. One of my favourite things about being on this forum is the constant stream of recommendations I get. It's hard to keep up with but what a great problem to have.
    I know I have been introduced to some good reads I would never have considered without the folks here!

  11. #471
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    8
    Thanks, Martin. And you're right, this forum is one of the great places to learn from other's experiences.
    Last edited by bugen; 03-02-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: grammar (jeez)
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  12. #472
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    625
    Rep Power
    6
    Oh The Last Unicorn.

    Hated it. One of the most painful reads and a book that made me question my “must finish what I start rule”

    Good luck.

  13. #473
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Oh The Last Unicorn.

    Hated it. One of the most painful reads and a book that made me question my “must finish what I start rule”

    Good luck.
    Irreconcilable differences
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  14. #474
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    625
    Rep Power
    6
    I tried to enjoy it. I think in my Goodreads review I quoted another member here, who like me, struggled with this one.

  15. #475
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I tried to enjoy it. I think in my Goodreads review I quoted another member here, who like me, struggled with this one.
    Don't get me wrong, brother, I've always respected your opinion in all things books and continue to do so. This one is just a viewpoint difference of the fantasy, and more specifically the fairy tale, genre.

    As will forever be the case, it takes all types.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  16. #476
    Senior Member Inmate c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    5
    I finished reading Entangled Soul by Gene O'Neill & Chris Marrs. I thought this novella was excellent, I loved how Chapter 1 began with Finn and than went to Sophie in Chapter 2-The story alternated between the viewpoints of Finnegan McCullough and Sophie Lindberg, the two main characters. The one thing I found disappointing three quarters of the way through was a handful of typos. I wish the novella had been just a little bit longer as the ending seemed abrupt.


    Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 03-13-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  17. #477
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    I finally got around to reading David Wong's John Dies at the End. Probably the most disappointing book I have read that was published by Cemetery Dance. This is a book that will live or die based on how the humor works for the reader. It fell completely flat for me. The story is choppy and lacks anything other than the attempts at humor to keep your attention. As I pushed through I kept hoping it would get better but it did not. I have the second and third book of the trilogy but will probably dump them all without continuing the story. I just can't imagine returning to that universe.

  18. #478
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I finally got around to reading David Wong's John Dies at the End. Probably the most disappointing book I have read that was published by Cemetery Dance. This is a book that will live or die based on how the humor works for the reader. It fell completely flat for me. The story is choppy and lacks anything other than the attempts at humor to keep your attention. As I pushed through I kept hoping it would get better but it did not. I have the second and third book of the trilogy but will probably dump them all without continuing the story. I just can't imagine returning to that universe.
    I had the same issue...tried reading it a while back (in tpb form), and just could not get into it. I could see the type of book he was trying to create, but while I'm usually a fan of the horror/humor mash-up (ala Jeff Strand, etc.), this one fell flat for me as well.

  19. #479
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,266
    Rep Power
    26
    I liked John Dies at the End, but I think it helps that I had seen the kinda "B" movie before reading the book, so I knew what I was getting into. I never got around to the other books in the series. Then again I liked Ready Player One and every podcast I've listened to that's mentioned it seems to hate that one, so maybe my taste is just bad.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv

  20. #480
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I had the same issue...tried reading it a while back (in tpb form), and just could not get into it. I could see the type of book he was trying to create, but while I'm usually a fan of the horror/humor mash-up (ala Jeff Strand, etc.), this one fell flat for me as well.
    I went in understanding that it was a Humor/Horror novel. It just did not work for me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •