Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I agree, and I'm not a video game fan (though played my share of the big consoles back in the early '80s)...for what it was intended to be, I thought Cline did a great job, and I found the book very entertaining. The subtext of existing in an alternate reality to escape a near-apocalyptic reality, of an Internet-like vehicle that had come to dominate the real world and identities there were more "real" to most, was perhaps not the most fresh idea, but it was well executed and fun, and the '80s references were inserted for the most part sparingly and appropriately. I've read the love and the hate for this book, and while I can see both sides of the coin, I definitely fall more in the camp of the former than the latter. I even toyed w/ the idea of the Sub Press S/L HC to replace the signed HC reprint from B&N's Christmas program, but can't pull the trigger on a $400 replacement.

ARMADA, on the other hand: I just tried to read that one, Cline's follow-up to RPO, and came away firmly agreeing with the overwhelming majority of readers who found it simplistic dreck. All the aforementioned subtext that gave RPO a richness that belied its simple formula was missing, and it felt forced and uninspired. Really unfortunate.
    I actually forgot ARMADA existed. ARMADA is kinda the reading I'm hesitant to ready ARTEMIS, Andy Weir's new book. I loved The Martian a lot and I just get the feeling that ARTEMIS can't really capture that same feeling I got from The Martian.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I actually forgot ARMADA existed. ARMADA is kinda the reading I'm hesitant to ready ARTEMIS, Andy Weir's new book. I loved The Martian a lot and I just get the feeling that ARTEMIS can't really capture that same feeling I got from The Martian.
      Having read both ARTEMIS and The Martian I agree with you. I loved The Martian and while ARTEMIS is not a bad story it just felt like it tried too hard to be The Martian II and fell a bit flat for me.

Comment

I'm somewhat in Martin's camp, that it was a disappointment as compared to THE MARTIAN. Too similar in tone and voice, in the end, to distinguish it enough from THE MARTIAN, and that inevitable comparison then becomes the spotlight that shows it to kind of pale as as follow-up. HOWEVER, it was still, I thought, a compelling and entertaining read, unlike Cline's duo, and worth the time. If THE MARTIAN was a 9, then ARTEMIS was a 6.5...but if REAL PLAYER ONE was an 8, ARMADA was a 1, a 2 if you serve it to me with a nice brown ale.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Good to know. I'll probably check out ARTEMIS then at some one. Maybe once I'm done struggling my way through American Gods.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I've read both The Martian and Artemis. While the Martian is a strong 9+I would rate Artemis as a 7.5 or 8. A thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying read, but like most books, not quite as good as The Martian.
            Give it a go Dan.
            I loved RPO, but have not yet read Armada. It keeps slipping down the TBR list.

Comment

Working...
            X