Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

  1. #21
    Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    8,659
    Rep Power
    27
    Haven't read the book, but it made a great movie! Since books are generally better than the movies made from them, I imagine this one is killer.
    "I'm a vegan. "

    ---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

  2. #22
    Member Part-timer rjmyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    0
    This title sure doesn't seem to be generating much buzz here in the Forum (half of this thread is about different authors), but it looks intriguing to me. Not everything has to have ghosts 'n goblins in it to be good, and this one sounds good.

  3. #23
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    13
    That is a shame. Some of his work can be tough reads but every bit of it is impactful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    We've checked on Cormac McCarthy in the past, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards, unfortunately.

    Brian

  4. #24
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    13
    FYI. Love the cover art on this one and wish I knew more about the author to justify the purchase of this book. Hope this is a big hit for the folks at CD because they hit it out of the park with the cover.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,895
    Rep Power
    24
    This is a very good book. I think the lack of buzz may be more related to the fact that the author has only released two books in 21 years. The first of which, A Simple Plan is widely regarded as a great story. The second, The Ruins has had a very mixed response. Some have called it a great story and some, myself included thought it was a very weak effort. I am happy that CD is giving A Simple Plan the treatment it deserves but I will not be ordering The Ruins.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmyers View Post
    This title sure doesn't seem to be generating much buzz here in the Forum (half of this thread is about different authors), but it looks intriguing to me. Not everything has to have ghosts 'n goblins in it to be good, and this one sounds good.

  6. #26
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    14
    I figured this announcement would create more of a stir as well. I can say that I was super excited when I read the announcement. I love both books, but I agree that The Ruins is a polarizing book. People either love it or hate it. I read it before A Simple Plan so maybe that's why I fall into the former group. The Ruins may not have the moral complexity of A Simple Plan, but as a straight horror tale I thought it was a blast.

    To anyone on the fence about A Simple Plan, I say do yourself a favor and buy the book. It lives up to the hype. And if you've already seen the movie, don't worry the second half of the book is significantly different than the film, and, in my opinion, better.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,895
    Rep Power
    24
    I completely agree on A Simple Plan, this book will be a great addition to my collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I figured this announcement would create more of a stir as well. I can say that I was super excited when I read the announcement. I love both books, but I agree that The Ruins is a polarizing book. People either love it or hate it. I read it before A Simple Plan so maybe that's why I fall into the former group. The Ruins may not have the moral complexity of A Simple Plan, but as a straight horror tale I thought it was a blast.

    To anyone on the fence about A Simple Plan, I say do yourself a favor and buy the book. It lives up to the hype. And if you've already seen the movie, don't worry the second half of the book is significantly different than the film, and, in my opinion, better.

  8. #28
    Junior Member Visitor KNOMDAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oroville, CA
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    I am just waiting to replenish funds. It has been a very tough year. If A Simple Plan is available when I have the money I will definitely pull the trigger on this one. I enjoyed the movie however, I did think the book was better.

  9. #29
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    14
    So after two and a half weeks of going back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the lettered edition! I can't wait to get this in my hands and waiting anxiously for The Ruins to be announced.

    On a side note, this has already been one heck of a year for CD announcements. Twelve book deal with Bentley Little, six book deal with King, two awesome books coming from Scott Smith and Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and a new Clegg book. All this and we're only a third of the way through the year! I'm so happy! And so poor...

  10. #30
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,638
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    On a side note, this has already been one heck of a year for CD announcements.
    Yeah, I'm exhausted already!

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  11. #31
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Yeah, I'm exhausted already!

    Brian
    Already? Does that mean there are even more big announcements this year??

  12. #32
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Already? Does that mean there are even more big announcements this year??

    I *think* it means Brian needs a nap!

  13. #33
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    11
    I know, it was just my poor attempt at humor, I hope the big announcements never stop!

  14. #34
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I know, it was just my poor attempt at humor, I hope the big announcements never stop!
    I agree!! More announcements!!

  15. #35
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,638
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I agree!! More announcements!!
    Okay, well, next we'll be announcing... hey, wait a minute!
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  16. #36
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    15
    Doh!!! So close.....

  17. #37
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,895
    Rep Power
    24
    Go ahead Brian, we know you want to tell. And we PROMISE not to tell a soul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Okay, well, next we'll be announcing... hey, wait a minute!

  18. #38
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Go ahead Brian, we know you want to tell. And we PROMISE not to tell a soul!
    Well, I might tell my four year old, but as he is still busy reading the Dark Tower series, he probably won't hear me.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,887
    Rep Power
    64
    Brad really????? 4 ? Why did you make him wait so long? By the time my boys were 4 they had read The Dark Tower Seriies ,The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books and,and had read the first 3 Songs of Fire an Ice series books. Would have read 4 but it wasn't out yet. ...

  20. #40
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    15
    Sorry, Tom, he took longer than I thought getting through The Wheel of Time. Boo hoo 14 books....hurry up kid!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •