No announcement yet.

Stephen King the Doubleday Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I saw the note that there would be 6 books, I was initially excited that "The Dead Zone" would be in there since it was his 6th book. But then looked it up and remembered that Zone was the first Viking book. Does anybody remember why King went back to Doubleday for "Pet Sematary" after a break of several books?
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

If I remember correctly Mr. King had a contractual obligation to submit one more book to Doubleday. He chose to submit Pet Sematary.
      Originally posted by TerryE View Post
      When I saw the note that there would be 6 books, I was initially excited that "The Dead Zone" would be in there since it was his 6th book. But then looked it up and remembered that Zone was the first Viking book. Does anybody remember why King went back to Doubleday for "Pet Sematary" after a break of several books?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        If I remember correctly Mr. King had a contractual obligation to submit one more book to Doubleday. He chose to submit Pet Sematary.
        There is a really good explanation here:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/the...d-pet-sematary

Make sure you read up to the paragraph that begins "The book opens when Louis Creed and his family—wife Rachel, daughter Ellie..." to get the full story of how the book ended up being published by Doubleday.

Brian
        Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
        My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

All I know is that if I could have picked any horror title to get the CD treatment, it would be Pet Semetary, so SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Brian, that is a nice write up on it.
            Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

Make sure you read up to the paragraph that begins "The book opens when Louis Creed and his family—wife Rachel, daughter Ellie..." to get the full story of how the book ended up being published by Doubleday.

Brian

Comment

Great article.

Comment

It really is. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Well I took the dive and went for the Gift Edition. Part of the deciding factor for me is getting the chance at early orders for the next book, and I'd like to ge the artist state of 'Salem's Lot, I think. I'll probably cancel my PS edition as I hardly think I need two copies, I can buy other books with the money. Though it saddens me choosing between the two, Glen Chadbourne's artwork, I think, is the nicer of the two so far as I can tell. The introduction and afterwards don't interest me as much as their last publication, Pet Sematary, which I definitely don't regret purchasing. I kind of wish I snagged a copy of Christine now too. The higher quality binding and deluxe size for the price is very attractive for the CD edition. It'll look beautiful next to my copy of IT.

I have one more question, I don't know if I will be purchasing all of the six books, if I have bought one or more of the six, would I continue to get early purchase offers? I might not want all of them, but I might want more later.

Comment

We ship them all of their books in one big shipment, so they end up paying a fraction for shipping compared to what it would cost to ship all of those same books to individual customers in individual shipments. Plus, I get this feeling that they're not getting charged as much by their Post Office as we are by ours these days. So PS Publishing is really smart place to order from if you're in the UK or Europe.

Brian
                    It's really a great partnership you have with them doing things like this. Looking forward to this book. Congrats on this bookdeal.

Comment

I'm thinking I'm not gonna cancel my order for PS's Carrie. I don't have a hc OF Carrie and...well...why not two?
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        I'm thinking I'm not gonna cancel my order for PS's Carrie. I don't have a hc OF Carrie and...well...why not two?
                        I'm going to keep my copy of PS Publishing's Carrie too, as it will be nice to compare the two different editions and because Glenn Chadbourne's artwork looks fantastic!!
                        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                        - Stephen King

Comment

Brian

Thanks for sharing the link Brian! Nice little read while having my morning coffee :-)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Same here. The first hardcover I bought was The Dark Half, back in '89. Everything up to that point was paperback, so I really like that we're getting a chance to have a nice set of CD hardcovers. I'll keep my PS editions too, seeing as I already paid for them.

Now if only CD could do The Dead Zone, which is still one of my favorite SK books.

Comment

I just hope CD managed to convince Uncle Stevie that his original version of The Stand should be reprinted.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                I have one more question, I don't know if I will be purchasing all of the six books, if I have bought one or more of the six, would I continue to get early purchase offers? I might not want all of them, but I might want more later.
                                If the timing works out, we'll want to notify the previous set purchasers after we notify the collectors who bought the previous book but before the general public.

So the notification order might go something like this for The Shining, spaced out a few days for each group to have an exclusive window:

Collectors who bought 'Salem's Lot
                                CDCC
                                Collectors who bought Carrie
                                The General Public Announcement

Brian
                                Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Working...
                                X