Steven Erikson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Erikson

A couple of years ago I tried the first volume of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, Garden of the Moon. What did I get myself into. It was a huge book, with a page-count of about 1000 pages, filled hundreds of characters (literally, just about) and a demanding storyline. Still, I liked it, and read the next two books. Then, somehow, Erikson lost me. I just couldn't keep up with everything that was going on, and had a hard time remembering who-was-who.
    Then I came across the limited editions SubPress came out with, and still is, and ordered a numbered Deadhouse Gates, the second book in the series. And I was lucky to snatch up a lettered Memories of Ice, the third in the series.
    So, now I have just pre-ordered book #4, House of Chains, numbered, and will order the lettered edition later this week.
    Can anyone here explaining why I'm even doing this? I gave up on the series (will try again one day), and the books aren't cheap. But they are gorgeous edition.s Guess that must be it.

Anyone else into Steven Erikson?

sk

I read through part of #4 and then something else came up. I really liked the series so far, but is is VERY "labor intensive".....unless you have an insanely great memory, I think you need to dedicate your reading efforts to that series until it's done. The author has said he wrote it as if it is being read by someone familiar with the world, so some things he does not explain for a long time and some stuff never. I think some of his ideas and images are fantastic. I still think he is worth the effort.

Side note, I have having the same "issue" with the last Thomas COvenant series. Lots of stuff/ideas going on here than require careful attention. Great, but demanding reads.

Bonus side note: Yes, I am getting the Supress editions because they are gorgeous books. Of course, after I finish these and the GRRM series, I will most like not be starting any more $$$ series like those.
    Last edited by bsaenz24; 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

frik51...I cannot explain it but I have read, and lost interest in, this series after the first 3-4 books.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I have piddled around with this series. Not enough to invest in the Subpress editions. I actually like the Esslemont branch of the Malazan series. I have the PS editions. The Return of the Crimson Guard is one of my favorites. I understand why you buy them, you like epic fantasy and you're sure that one day you'll find yourself in the mood to really get into them. It could happen!!
        MDH

Comment

Yep - I think that's part of it. I do want to read the complete series.
          But then again, I have to read (partially, re-read) all of the 10 volumes of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Chronicles yet, plus the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and as I'm a pretty slow reader...am I ever going to make this??

sk

Comment

I exepect you would, but if you have not read any of Ice and Fire, wait until the two (supposedly only 2 more) volumes are done. He is a slow writer.

Comment

Or is he?? I take on a lot of projects. I think the TV money will motivate him to finish.
              MDH

Comment

Erikson is a Winnipeg boy, and for that alone he gets my respect. I've wanted to get some of s/l books but haven't yet, though I do have a couple of PS publishings novellas. I've only read his first two so far, but liked them well enough.

Comment

Also read and enjoyed Esslemont's first novel Night of Knives, quick, simple and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                    I exepect you would, but if you have not read any of Ice and Fire, wait until the two (supposedly only 2 more) volumes are done. He is a slow writer.
                    But I've been waiting since 1996! And I bet this series won't be finished before the year 2020!

sk

Comment

I'm going to have to go back and do them as well. That's why I love Abercrombie and peter Brett. Nice, steady output. LOL. I just finished up the scott Lynch that I had to wait a few years for. It was worth the wait.
                      MDH

Comment

Erikson did his 10 books quickly and efficiently, I think one every year or so. Garden of the Moon was first published in 1999 I believe. Still working in the same world, but it's a new series now.

Comment

Working...
                        X