Authors Who You Think Everyone Should Know About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authors Who You Think Everyone Should Know About

Are there any authors who you feel don't get the readership they deserve?

There are hundreds of authors and thousands of books out there. There are great ones, ones you where say "it was good, but I don't think I'd read anything else by them," and some that are downright awful. Very few authors reach the popularity levels of Stephen King or James Patterson or J. K. Rowling. Some will only be known for that one book. Others, while critically successful don't get noticed by everyday readers because they don't appeal to the masses. (Not that that is a bad thing.)

But there are those diamonds in the rough. The one you stumbled across online or in a used bookstore and made you wonder why you hadn't heard of them before.

Who is that author? (You don't have to pick one.)

One author for me is Alex Scarrow. He writes thrillers and has two series targeted at young adults, Ellie Quin and Time Riders. I have read all his thrillers and the first three of the Ellie Quin series. I have found all his thrillers to be great. Last Light and After Light are a great Apocalyptic/Post apocalyptic twosome. His other three stand alone thrillers have been great.

The thing that stands out for me is that his publishers in the UK didn't really do much as far as publicity, which is the main reason he left that publisher. I am not sure yet if he is working on any other thrillers at the moment but I hope he does. None of his thrillers have been published in the US even though two take place there.

A Thousand Suns is an interesting look at Nazis during WW2 that I don't think many thrillers really take into account.
    Spoiler!

October Skies is a story about a group going over the Rockies and facing similar problems that the Donner party did. And The Candle Man is a cool Jack the Ripper story that partly involves the Titanic.

At any rate I find him to be a great author that more people should read.

Comment

The only one that I can pull off the top of my head would be Michael Aronovitz. What I've read of his has been intelligent, well-written, with an emotional depth that adds a layer to the horrors that he haunt his stories. He just released a new collection of stories titled The Voices in Our Heads that I can't wait to get my hands on. I would say that fans of Straub and Hirshberg would really enjoy his work.

Comment

Jostein Gaarder. His "Sophie's World" was so excellent.

Andersen Prunty. Carlton Mellick III.

Comment

Peter Clines, Brian A Hopkins, and Victor Gischler. All three authors I really enjoy.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Can't say I have read any of his other books, but Charles Maclean's The Watcher is one if my all time favourite novels. It's original, disturbing, surreal and had an ending that left me with many questions but also very satisfied at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              Can't say I have read any of his other books, but Charles Maclean's The Watcher is one if my all time favourite novels. It's original, disturbing, surreal and had an ending that left me with many questions but also very satisfied at the same time.
              Just looked this up on Amazon. It sounds great! Looks like I'm might be adding another book to the old TBR pile. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Glad to help! Wish there was a limited edition of it, I would snatch it up right away.

Comment

2 for me are James Rollins and Christopher Conlon. The 2 Conlon books I read (Lullaby for the Rain Girl, and Midnight on Mourn Street) are very emotionally charged stories. Rollins - well, now that I have crawled out from under the rock, wow, what I was missing!

Comment

Thomas Tessier.

Comment

Working...
                    X